Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Looking for a new baby

Default Re: Looking for a new baby

The formula he has had has been 4/1 strength he loves it and is still having good looking poops, I'm considering going up to 3/1 today. He is on the small side, I'm going to look for a scale while I'm out later today. New pictures later today when my camera battery charges. You say 5 to 7 % of his body weight, do you mean in cc's? Math is so not my strongsuit. He just had another 5.5 cc's about 30 minutes ago. So a total of 14cc's total for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by cslahaie
    The formula he has had has been 4/1 strength he loves it and is still having good looking poops, I'm considering going up to 3/1 today. He is on the small side, I'm going to look for a scale while I'm out later today. New pictures later today when my camera battery charges. You say 5 to 7 % of his body weight, do you mean in cc's? Math is so not my strongsuit. He just had another 5.5 cc's about 30 minutes ago. So a total of 14cc's total for the day.
    Yep...thats ccs. Sounds like you two are doing really well!!!
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

PS - I am feeding him with a nipple on the end of a syringe, my first baby drank from a bottle and he just ate until he didn't want anymore or fell asleep so I never really kept track of it. That's why I dont really know how much he should have. I dont know that if given the chance with a bottle with more quantity and uninterrupted feeding (switching syringes) if he would continue to eat a lot more.

Thanks Jo! So is that 5 to 7 % of his body weight for the entire day or just at a feeding? 7 % of 66 is 4.62 soooo I guess that's where my confusion comes in lol

Thanks Jo! So is that 5 to 7 % of his body weight for the entire day or just at a feeding?
    Thats per feeding. At 8ish weeks I fed about every 4 hours. With a 6 hr break at night. Thats about 5 feedings a day.
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

PS - I am feeding him with a nipple on the end of a syringe, my first baby drank from a bottle and he just ate until he didn't want anymore or fell asleep so I never really kept track of it. That's why I dont really know how much he should have. I dont know that if given the chance with a bottle with more quantity and uninterrupted feeding (switching syringes) if he would continue to eat a lot more.
    I would stick with exactly what you are doing now. The syringes are much better and wont cause them to aspirate as easily.

Émile Zola

Where he is just getting on the fv, I would shoot for 5% initially, to gradually get his weight up w/o stomach issues. You should def. be able to go to the 3/1 today. Do that for three feedings, if still no tummy issues, go to full stregnth, 2/1. When you know he is handling full stregnth for several feedings and he is gaining weight, then move up to the 7%. The last thing you want is to have him get diarrhea, so best to air on the side of caution and make changes slowly to give time for adjustment to it. JMPO.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Great thanks so I guess he kinda over ate this morning huh? I guess I'll wait until about 3 to feed him again.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264
    Where he is just getting on the fv, I would shoot for 5% initially, to gradually get his weight up w/o stomach issues. You should def. be able to go to the 3/1 today. Do that for three feedings, if still no tummy issues, go to full stregnth, 2/1. When you know he is handling full stregnth for several feedings and he is gaining weight, then move up to the 7%. The last thing you want is to have him get diarrhea, so best to air on the side of caution and make changes slowly to give time for adjustment to it. JMPO.

He may have over ate because the formula was too weak. Are you adding anything to the FV??

Émile Zola

I see, ok this afternoons feeding will be 3/1 and no haven't added anything to the fv itself. He is still eating pecans in between because they are his favorite though. Should I be adding something I'm unaware of??

Well, some add full fat yogurt to the FV and also heavy cream. If I were in your shoes....I would just stick with plain FV and see how it goes. If he has tummy issues the yogurt is good for that. If you notice slow weight gain....thats where the heavy cream comes in. I added both to mine but my guys had yucky poohs after being on Esbilac.

Émile Zola

I would wait to add anything....he is playing catch up, of sorts, but you can't just start throwing different things in his tummy....that is when you get in to trouble (I speak from experience...lol) Some handle things better then others, but always best to go slow, you can always up, or add, later...It is important to get the scale, check him first thing in the morning, before he eats, but after he has been pottied, to get a true weight on him and go from there. I would also be sure to keep a log of times fed, amount, weight, date, etc, so you can look back and see how he is doing.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Okay thanks! I'm going to start a journal

Wow have I been MIA or what?! LOl My kids got sick and then I got sick and then Easter happened so its been a whirlwind week. I do have new pics of Buddy to put up this evening and he is doing Grrrrreat! Up to 95 grams this weekend (Thank you FV!) He is eating like crazy and getting so big!!! Will post pics later!

So happy to see this is going so well! Great job!!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456