Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new baby

Default Looking for a new baby

Hi all I wasn't sure exactly where to post this so if this is the wrong spot I apologize. I lost my beloved squirrel-boy last summer and I think I am finally ready emotionally to raise another. He is buried in my yard under a Jane Magnolia we planted in his honor that has just started to bloom. The blooms make me miss him a lot. Anyways before I start tearing up here I was just wondering if anyone in the Tennessee/Arkansas/Mississippi/Alabama area was looking for a new loving home for a squirrel baby or chippy. I have a wonderful set up at my house and in my heart just waiting for a tenant. Thanks everyone!

Christina

virgo062 Guest

Default Re: Looking for a new baby

Christina I am so sorry for your loss....So you are looking for a pet not a releasable? I hear those little chippies are mean devils Check out Flowers story if you get a chance....Or actually you might consider digging her out of Tickle's mom's car before she has nothing left but brakes
    I don't know how to post a link here but it's a story worth reading....

Good luck o your search and stay with us because you never know what turns up here

I will be checking back often there is a void in my life without him and while he can't be replaced another squirrel baby sure would make me and my family happy.

Are you looking for a baby to rehab and then release, or are you looking for one that cannot be released for some reason? And if it comes up, how far can you drive?

It depends, I had always planned to release my boy it just didn't happen. He was very attached to us and even when outside with us he wouldn't leave our shoulder or top of our heads. LOL He didn't seem to want to leave. Anyhow as far as driving I live in Memphis, TN so probably within a 2 to 3 hour radius. Although if it came up and it was further I can't say that I wouldn't drive further to get him/her.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Welcome...I think you can see you are in the right place as far as peers...we are a bunch of sq fanatics.
    I too am sorry you lost you precious squirrel.
    Can I ask what happened to him and his name, maybe you can share his story, we love pics too!

My Rocky was bitten by a brown recluse (that's what the bite appeared to look like) and he didn't make it, when I came home from work he was already gone. He looked like he was sleeping peacefully but when I went to pet him I he didn't move and I knew. It was awful, Im tearing up just thinking about it. I cried for 4 straight days, thank God this was a Friday and I wasn't due back to work until that following Tuesday. We buried him in the yard underneath a small Jane Magnolia that is starting to bloom beautiful purple flowers, my husband said last night "Oh look, Rocky's blooming!" and there again the tears were flowing. Anyways, he was found at a few days old by my husbands grandmothers mama cat who miraculously didn't injure him at all. She gently placed him at her feet and we immediately came to take him home. Love at first site does not describe!! We took turns in the night bottle feeding and my husband took him to work with him until he was old enough to stay home alone. He had run of the house until he was full grown and then he was in his enclosure while we werent home. He loved the occasional french fry and frito and to sit on top of our heads, he would go to sleep underneath my hair, and hang out in my scrub top pockets. We loved him so much we miss him terribly. I will post pics when I get home so everyone can see my little love.
    Thanks for listening

Christina

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Quote Originally Posted by cslahaie
    My Rocky was bitten by a brown recluse (that's what the bite appeared to look like) and he didn't make it, when I came home from work he was already gone. He looked like he was sleeping peacefully but when I went to pet him I he didn't move and I knew. It was awful, Im tearing up just thinking about it. I cried for 4 straight days, thank God this was a Friday and I wasn't due back to work until that following Tuesday. We buried him in the yard underneath a small Jane Magnolia that is starting to bloom beautiful purple flowers, my husband said last night "Oh look, Rocky's blooming!" and there again the tears were flowing. Anyways, he was found at a few days old by my husbands grandmothers mama cat who miraculously didn't injure him at all. She gently placed him at her feet and we immediately came to take him home. Love at first site does not describe!! We took turns in the night bottle feeding and my husband took him to work with him until he was old enough to stay home alone. He had run of the house until he was full grown and then he was in his enclosure while we werent home. He loved the occasional french fry and frito and to sit on top of our heads, he would go to sleep underneath my hair, and hang out in my scrub top pockets. We loved him so much we miss him terribly. I will post pics when I get home so everyone can see my little love.
    Thanks for listening

Christina

virgo062 Guest

Sounds like you will fit right in with us Sweet Rocky

Glad to find a place where I fit in

Welcome
    So so sorry about your sweet squirrel.
    We totally understand here, you are among like hearts.
    Nancy
    Illinois Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

take a peek at my website for fun happenings and cute critters!

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/index.html

Thank you to all that made the Rehab Cottage dream come true

I was feeling very teary this morning and I have to say everyones replies have made me feel ALOT better!

I am so sorry about your baby. These little guys grab your heart with both little hands and never let go.

Someone will eventually come on here needing help, I bet, but you may also want to put the word out to the tree companies in your area. They are probably responsible for more little orphans than almost anybody besides Mother Nature and if you can be relatively responsive - like drop everything and go get them, I bet you can find a new set of little squirrel hands to grab another chunk.

Really????!!!! How do I go about that? I mean what would I say? I am happy to do this I just dont want to get hung up on lol

Well, I am kind of a pushy broad, so what I would do is get the addresses of a couple of their offices and walk right in; if they have a female office person, all the better - women are usually more likely to be softies for the little buggers - and tell them that you raise baby animals that wind up needing that and you imagine that given what they forfor a living, they likely run into that situation with squirrel babies a lot, and if they do, here is your phone number; all they have to do is call and you will com get them from the jobsite. If you make it effortless for them you will probably find one that will work with you.

Ooooooh Ok so you think I should go up there rather than just call. Less likely to get hung up on and they will have to listen. Yay I'm excited now I will be making a few stops on the way home.... :wott

i am so sorry you lost your baby. we lost one last yr....my hubby was very attached to her.
    You can love them, raise them and let them go.....after that, they are in mother nature's care...........Welcome to the nut house!

Home to Leroy & Lisa ... ...some just know they have it good I guess!

Thanks!

I just emailed a tree company, just a first attempt b/c I was so excited at the thought I couldn't wait until I got off work. Y'all are so great thanks for your support!

Then here is your homework:

Go to www.henryspets.com and order a bag of the Fox Valley 32/40 formula and some of her 1cc syringes and silicone nipples - all exactly what you SHOULD use for a baby. You don't want to hunt for formula after - you want to be able to walk to the freezer and get it out. Then go to Walmart or the like and pick up a smallish plastic sterilite container and drill some holes in the lid. Get yourself some fleece for the bottom of it and go to a sporting goods place that sells winter or hunting gear and pick up a couple of those hand warmer packets that you unwrap and shake and they stay warm for hours. Get a small bottle of pedialyte, too. Keep the container, pedialyte, a syringe and nipple and the warmer packets in your car. You get a call and you are ready to go - you can start warming them and start rehydrating them right away.

You're awesome, thats a great idea, you sure have this down to a science. Thanks for everything!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast