Marci

mugzeezma Guest

Default Re: Buddy just threw up BLOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Marci
    What is going on??

I need help!

Marci
    It's time for the vet like NOW

Do you have an emergency veterinary service?

momma2boo Guest

I agree ... no time to waste. Get him to the vet.

Buddy was at the vet yesterday due to other symptoms. See the post under non-emergency help needed.

No, I am going to call and leave a message for the vet now. the only vet hospital is the Univ of PA and they will not accept a siberian chipmunk due to the Phila city ordinance.

A local rehabber is coming over this afternoon.

In the meantime, I am stopping all food and liquid intake except for water and am going to get some Pedialyte.

Marci

I am so sorry this is happening to you and Buddy

momma2boo Guest

Can you call the vet you saw yesterday to explain what is going on with him? Can the reahabber get over to you any sooner than this afternoon ... like maybe now?

I don't anything about chippies but I have got Buddy in my thoughts and prayers.

Julie

Prayers...and more Prayers...coming to you both...

*&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Stosh & RamaMama & Rama Rota

mugzeezma Guest

Buddy was at the vet yesterday due to other symptoms. See the post under non-emergency help needed.

No, I am going to call and leave a message for the vet now. the only vet hospital is the Univ of PA and they will not accept a siberian chipmunk due to the Phila city ordinance.

A local rehabber is coming over this afternoon.

In the meantime, I am stopping all food and liquid intake except for water and am going to get some Pedialyte.

Marci
    Make sure the rehabber has Ringers lactate and syringes for SubQ...this is beyond our realm truthfully. Buddy needs Xrays, scoping, or ultrasound at the very least he needs to be palpated by and experienced rodent and exotic vet.
    I am so sorry that this is happening to you both...

omg. marci.

prayers for you and brace yourself this isn't good.

buddy you are so loved...

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

mpetys Guest

We're here for you and Buddy. Prayers coming your way. Please keep us updated with what the rehabber says and does. I do agree with the other poster who suggested calling the vet you saw yesterday to give them this information. If he saw Buddy yesterday, is it possible he would see him again. I would exhaust every possible avenue of help.

Sending prayers and positive vibes to you and Buddy.

Unfortunately, the exotic vet that I saw yesterday and that Buddy has seen various times since Sept. does not have an emergency #. They refer out to another animal hosp for cats and dogs, and for other pets, the Univ of PA Vet Hospital, which I already called, they CANNOT treat buddy due to the LAW.

So I am waiting for the rehabber to come over this afternoon.

In the meantime, he was hanging out in my fleece jacket and I could feel that he only had 1-2 small jerky motions, which I guess would account for a seizure.

Marci

I'm so sorry Marci. I don't have any advice to offer, but I'm sending prayers your way to you and sweet little Buddy

Unfortunately, the exotic vet that I saw yesterday and that Buddy has seen various times since Sept. does not have an emergency #. They refer out to another animal hosp for cats and dogs, and for other pets, the Univ of PA Vet Hospital, which I already called, they CANNOT treat buddy due to the LAW.

So I am waiting for the rehabber to come over this afternoon.

In the meantime, he was hanging out in my fleece jacket and I could feel that he only had 1-2 small jerky motions, which I guess would account for a seizure.

Marci
    Just sitting here feeling so totally helpless....but sending tons of prayers for little Buddy...Name:  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.gif
Views: 899
Size:  1.7 KB Name:  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.gif
Views: 899
Size:  1.7 KB

momma2boo Guest

Have you tried to offer him some mollasses? It is high in calcium. Maybe he will lick it from your finger. If not you can always rub it on his gums.

Quote Originally Posted by momma2boo
    Have you tried to offer him some mollasses? It is high in calcium. Maybe he will lick it from your finger. If not you can always rub it on his gums.
    Excellent advice....If this is MBD it literally is life and death getting calcium into them. There is no choice, as much as it sometimes kills us to disturb them or force them....it absolutely is the difference between life and death...

The blood, however, tells us something else is going on.....obstruction or GI infection or..... This truly is beyond the realm of rehabber knowledge, in my opinion.

Siberian chipmunks are exotic pets, not wildlife -- I cannot BELIEVE there is a law against treating them in Pennsyl-SQUIRREL HATING - vania......
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Tickle's Mom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    Excellent advice....If this is MBD it literally is life and death getting calcium into them. There is no choice, as much as it sometimes kills us to disturb them or force them....it absolutely is the difference between life and death...

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    The blood, however, tells us something else is going on.....obstruction or GI infection or..... This truly is beyond the realm of rehabber knowledge, in my opinion.

Siberian chipmunks are exotic pets, not wildlife -- I cannot BELIEVE there is a law against treating them in Pennsyl-SQUIRREL HATING - vania......
    Yes, IR forgot that fact even though the tread clearly states he is throwing up blood....
    Is there a possibility he got into something? Does he ever have out of the cage time?

the Univ of PA Vet Hospital, which I already called, they CANNOT treat buddy due to the LAW.
    as IR said he's not native wildlife... maybe if they know there is a difference between the two .... it might help. unfortunately it probably won't help buddy today. But one day it might help other siberian chipmunks.

also .... it's a small point... but they're probably not that helpful anyway since they have no experience with legal pet chipmunks.

prayers continuing.

i'm wondering if our chipmunk experts in england know about this and if anyone has their phone numbers etc...

chipmunk lover:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/member.php?u=3852

crazymunk

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/member.php?u=2022

(have emailed and pmd both members.... hope they'll see it soon )

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast