Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this baby a grey or a foxer?

Default Re: Is this baby a grey or a foxer?

I saw my second grey squirrel ever in this state today on my way to the airport in Grand Forks( on the North Dakota Minnesota border). The reason I noticed him/her was his VERY white belly. Not 30 feet from where he was playing...4 fox squirrels were out playing too. Since I have only really seen foxers in my area...it felt like Christmas seeing the silver haired beauty. The size difference was quite amazing....and also the fact that they were all in the same general area. I didn't know that they got along. Very nice to see.
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    As I though about it, I realized color perception probably varies from person to person. So, instead of asserting what color I think it is, I will provide a histrogram when talking about colors. Ideally, I'd use a spectrometer, but I don't currently have a sample or a spectrometer. Belay my previous comment, and I'm sorry for disbelieving you joe_schmoe. I suppose deep down I'm just a skeptic.

The bottom represents a sample of the snow, and the top the fur from the belly.
    (Histograms Produced by The Gimp)
    No need for an apology Peter. Its a good lesson in how different they can be by region. Speaking of different...I was in Cabellas today shopping for a new ice house. My husband is a frequent shopper there for fishing gear but I myself have never been there. Every single wall had a different dead animal stuffed on display. I had to leave...I was getting sick seeing so many beautiful creatures displayed like trophies. On my way out...I looked up and one display was a grey wolf...with a squirrel in his mouth.
    I had to look even closer as Im a glutton for punishment. Im assuming it was a fox squirrel because of the orangish tail....but the rest of the body was blonde with a darker area down its back and its face was more of a darker brown. And when I say blonde....it was almost yellow and it wasn't just the belly....there was no difference in belly color as opposed to the rest of the body. I've never seen anything like that. Any ideas on what kind of squirrel that could be?
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

We have some mixed ones here... I've seen only a few fox squirrels here, but I have seen many greys with very orange bellies. We also have a growing number of black ones... some with orange tails, and some with plain black tails.

Here are the 2 black babies I had last year (Romeo and Juliet) and who have been released. They were much smaller in size than the E. greys., I don't know why, and Romeo had more brown in him than Juliet did. She had no brown in her at all, she was so black that her hair reflected blue.
    Name:  Romeo-good1-web.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  142.5 KBName:  Juliet--good-1-web.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  131.9 KB

I have to admit... as babies, those 2 little black ones were really REALLY cute.
    Name:  Romeo-eats-on-cabin-web.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  73.7 KB Name:  Juliet-eating2-web.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  48.0 KB

We ended up with 2 kids who showed up with striped tails. I had never seen that before in my life. Their mother (Stump, here below) has a very red-orange tail but her stomach is yellowish white and her face very pointy, so I think she's probably an E. Grey but maybe she's mixed with Fox... ???
    Name:  Stumpy.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  77.5 KBName:  Stump-2.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  43.9 KB
    Name:  Twin-A-web.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  157.6 KBName:  Twin-B-web.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  152.0 KB
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Wow!! Just when I think I've seen it all, creamsicle striped tails!

Your Juliet is gorgeous. I have raised three like her (Maria Negrita, Nina, and Ninja). No other color on them at all -- absolutely blue-black. As pinkies they were black...that's how we came up with the term "blinkies" .
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jo_schmoe
    I saw my second grey squirrel ever in this state today on my way to the airport in Grand Forks( on the North Dakota Minnesota border)....I didn't know that they got along. Very nice to see.
    they don't really get along ...there can be brutal battles. A friend of mine witnessed the two species battling and one was killed.
    There is an old wives tale that the males will try to castrate one another. Knowing how things are hung down there it's easy to see how that could happen accidentally.
    For the most part they coexist fairly peaceably. Typically the more aggressive and smaller grays will chase of the foxers. I have yet to see that in my back yard where the Fox squirrels rule.
    (and I have all grays)

What absolutely beautiful squirrels. I have really enjoyed all the different pictures and all the different colors our little friends present. How wonderful nature is to give us such variety.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

It is funny how the smaller the squirrel, the more they take over the area (particularly the feeders). Here we have all 3 though there are few places with foxers and greys both, usually there is one or the other. The funniest is the tiny little reds. Man do they have attitude. You can have 5 foxers all peacefully eating at a feeder together (they are so laid back, I love them ) and then ONE tiny little red comes running up barking like mad and all the foxers scramble like they are gonna get eaten by a hawk or something. And the little red takes over the whole feeder until he's done. I always laugh, it's like come on foxers you could just sit on the little red and squish him, no need to run!
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    they don't really get along ...there can be brutal battles. A friend of mine witnessed the two species battling and one was killed.
    There is an old wives tale that the males will try to castrate one another. Knowing how things are hung down there it's easy to see how that could happen accidentally.
    For the most part they coexist fairly peaceably. Typically the more aggressive and smaller grays will chase of the foxers. I have yet to see that in my back yard where the Fox squirrels rule.
    (and I have all grays)
    I have been told the same exact thing. That is why I was so surprised to see them so close to each other. My boss is a life long Fargo native...and there are grey and fox squirrels there. He has witnessed on more than one occasion a grey totally ambush a foxer and attack the genital area biting off his "member:, leaving him to bleed to death.

Émile Zola

No need for an apology Peter. Its a good lesson in how different they can be by region. Speaking of different...I was in Cabellas today shopping for a new ice house. My husband is a frequent shopper there for fishing gear but I myself have never been there. Every single wall had a different dead animal stuffed on display. I had to leave...I was getting sick seeing so many beautiful creatures displayed like trophies. On my way out...I looked up and one display was a grey wolf...with a squirrel in his mouth.
    I had to look even closer as Im a glutton for punishment. Im assuming it was a fox squirrel because of the orangish tail....but the rest of the body was blonde with a darker area down its back and its face was more of a darker brown. And when I say blonde....it was almost yellow and it wasn't just the belly....there was no difference in belly color as opposed to the rest of the body. I've never seen anything like that. Any ideas on what kind of squirrel that could be?
    I'm not really sure. Some fox squirrels in the southeast have dark colored heads, but usually they are closer to black, so I don't know.

The gray squirrel in your story wasn't very nice, and that's a bad way to die.

Scooterzmom, Stump's babies do have odd tails. Unique, though.
    "[T]his is a lovely world, but not an easy one." - Salten
    Field Observations | Sciuridae
    Be advised, I'm neither a rehabber nor a wildlife biologist, so don't trust me with anything important.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    I'm not really sure. Some fox squirrels in the southeast have dark colored heads, but usually they are closer to black, so I don't know.

I posted a link to a picture of what the southeastern fox squirrels look like. Some are a bit darker, but the majority of the ones I see are pretty much like the one I posted earlier.

I wonder if thats a regional thing....maybe some cross breeding. A true foxer does NOT have white fur. Trust me....I spend half my days looking at the foxers we have here and never once have I seen any white on them.
    Its a florida Thang!!!
    Ours at least the Shermans have some white, this off the FWC web site:

The fox squirrel (Sciurus niger) weighs from one to three pounds, and exhibit color variations which range from a buff color to gray, and in some instances black. The under parts are usually lighter, and typical specimens have white noses and ears with black faces and feet. They are noted for their long, bushy tails.
    The fox squirrel may be found throughout Florida in open woods, pine and cypress stands, and mangrove swamps, but they are protected from hunting throughout the state. Of the three subspecies found in Florida, two are listed as protected species. Sherman's Fox Squirrel, Sciurus niger shermani, a species of special concern, is found in the open piney woods of central and Northeastern Florida. The Big Cypress Fox Squirrel Sciurus niger avicennia, a threatened species is found from the Everglades region, in Lee county, to the southern part of Dade county. Fox squirrels in the western panhandle belong to a less vulnerable, more widespread subspecies.
    Fox squirrels are much less numerous than gray squirrels, but can sometimes be observed foraging for food in pastures or openingsadjacent to forested areas. They spend more time on the ground than intrees and often attempt to escape enemies by running rather than climbing.

Lived in Florida for almost all my life and saw my very first live one last year.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths we take
    But by the Moments that take our breath away
    They Call me….Miss Ellie MaeJ

Simba as a baby
    Click the picture for a short video tribute.

That is absolutely amazing. I LOVE learning about the different species.
    The squirrel you described is almost just like the one I saw at Cabellas. This one did have a reddish tail though( could have been due to the taxidermist too)...but I bet its was some variation of an eastern fox squirrel.

Émile Zola

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    Wow!! Just when I think I've seen it all, creamsicle striped tails!

Your Juliet is gorgeous. I have raised three like her (Maria Negrita, Nina, and Ninja). No other color on them at all -- absolutely blue-black. As pinkies they were black...that's how we came up with the term "blinkies" .
    The weird thing is that even the body of TwinB was two colors, almost striped too. I had never seen that before and never have since.

Then there is this little guy who's picture I caught this last summer... more like a beige color but almost white. Not albino, as you'll see his eyes are normal.
    Name:  Whitey-12-ova-webl.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  185.1 KBName:  Whitey-close-oval-web.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  68.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Gorgeous squirrel!!!

Émile Zola

Rainy9 Guest

Great thread! Beautiful pictures!
    I'm interesting learning about all the different types and variations. It got me wondering about where exactly the fox squirrel lives (across the U.S.) and how densely they populate the different areas.

Came across a site showing a pic like the one Alcippe's link showed. I had no idea they varied sooo much! Really cool!

http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/watchabl...Rodents/fs.cfm

Does anyone have or know where I can find a pic of the U.S. showing population areas and amounts? Would love to see one...esspecialy because I'm a bit confused now about where exactly the fox sq. lives since most of you guys that have them seem to be farther north and I'm here in Texas and fox is the only kind I ever see.

I'm in the West U.S. and I have both Eastern Grays and Eastern Fox squirrels in my yard in equal numbers. They get along just fine here, certainly as much as two fox squirrels who don't know each other would. The fights I see are mostly among the same species, 2 foxers or 2 grays rather than a foxer and a gray. They will chase each other away from the feeders, but usually nothing too serious. Obviously not saying it can't happen, I just haven't seen it in my 10 years of watching the squirrels in my backyard. I have about 25 regulars between grays and foxers and I live in a suburban neighborhood. I agree, the baby in this thread looks gray to me, ear size, nose shape and color of it's feet, all gray features. Here's a picture from my yard. Not the most crystal clear picture, but it's a foxer and gray sharing a feeder.

Name:  DSC03100.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  124.2 KB

I live in Florida also and I have very large Foxers that are very golden yellow with black masks and white bellies and a couple I've seen have a little white spot at the end of their nose. I see them frequently. There is a "family" of them that run around between my property and my parents property. They move so differently than the greys.

Sounds like the beautiful Sherman's Fox Squirrels you have there. They are gorgeous things!!!

Oh, I didn't know they had a specific name, Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Busysqrl
    I'm in the West U.S. and I have both Eastern Grays and Eastern Fox squirrels in my yard in equal numbers. They get along just fine here, certainly as much as two fox squirrels who don't know each other would. The fights I see are mostly among the same species, 2 foxers or 2 grays rather than a foxer and a gray. They will chase each other away from the feeders, but usually nothing too serious. Obviously not saying it can't happen, I just haven't seen it in my 10 years of watching the squirrels in my backyard. I have about 25 regulars between grays and foxers and I live in a suburban neighborhood. I agree, the baby in this thread looks gray to me, ear size, nose shape and color of it's feet, all gray features. Here's a picture from my yard. Not the most crystal clear picture, but it's a foxer and gray sharing a feeder.

Name:  DSC03100.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  124.2 KB
    That is a beautiful sight!! Peace and harmony in the squirrel world!!

Émile Zola

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast