Thread: flyer question

chazzy Guest

Default flyer question

do flyers hibernate?

Gabe Guest

Default Re: flyer question

Not in the way that a bear or woodchuck does in NY State. They may slow down a bit during a cold spell, sleep through a couple weeks, then become active during a warm up. I don't know about the pet fliers on this board, I'm surprised no one with one hasn't jumped in to say. They are nocturnal, so you may not so much activity during the day. I'm sure you'll hear from an owner soon, maybe they are nocturnal as well.

Somebody's Mother Guest

let me wonder over to the nfsa board and look. darra and muffinsquirrel apparently took some time off!! they would know the answer immediately if not sooner.

okay here is what i found..........
    The sfs does not hibernate,but they do go into a torpor,especially in the wintertime. As they come out of it,they shiver.

sfs= southern flying squirrel
    torpor= ? i am guessing like a stupor or temporary state of disorientation

While wild flyers do sleep for short periods during cold snaps Pet flyers in heated houses do not. I have had mine for five years and he gets up every evening to feed and come out to play! If yours is a pet and sleeping more than that then there is probably a problem and it needs to be addressed immediately. Please let us know if it was a general question or if you have a pet flyer that is sleeping more than usual. Stacey

I agree with Stacey on the pet flyer, ours never slept more than he was suppose to no matter what time of the year it was or how tired we were

Somebody's Mother Guest

mine sleeps less than what i would expect. she is a very exciteable girl. she wants to play whenever i am near. but i have only had her a short time. less than a month.

chazzy Guest

it was just a question. i am a new squirrel mom and was just wondering. thanx for your answers

Ask all you need to, that is what we are here for. Never think a question is stupid. Would rather you ask and have support about an issue than to be afraid to ask and do it wrong. We were all new at this at one time and had to have help so keep asking.

chazzy Guest

thanx i will ask if i need any help

darrakm Guest

Sorry. I had company all of Thanksgiving week and am just now catching up on somethings.
    I haven't noticed that my flyers sleep any more during winter. Time change is always something that affects the way I perceive their sleeping in sometimes. Just like people sometimes they want to sleep in and sometimes they don't wana sleep at all.
    Flyers will go into a "freeze" where they don't move, or even look around. Thay can easily be takes for a little squirel statue...LOL This can last a few seconds or for several minutes. This usually happens when something makes them feel threatened. It is something that is part of their instinct for survival in the wild. Stay still so as not to attract the attention of the predetor.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.