Thread: aflatoxins

Hybrid View

fly 'second to the right, and straight on till morning'

Question aflatoxins

Like most folks here, I've been following the sudden illness and heartbreaking news about 2ndHand Ranch Rescue's squirrels. I am new to squirrel care and have a question about aflatoxins. Didn't want to ask on her thread, cause feel the energy there should be prayers, healing, and support at this time.

I bought loose mixed nuts at Walmart on Sunday and now will not use them.
    Understand from reading the posts, a little bit about what alfatoxins are, but feel really ignorant about how to protect my squirrel from them.

My question is: What, if anything, destroys these nasties? Do they die if the nuts are frozen? Does heat (ie baking in an oven), after being shelled destroy them?

It's not about saving money, I'll throw the nuts away in a heartbeat. Its about keeping my kiddo safe. Is there something I can do to all the nuts I purchase that would kill the aflatoxins, and do that as a precaution each time? Should all my nuts be stored in the freezer, so that nothing can grow on them?

mpetys Guest

Default Re: aflatoxins

Thanks for asking these questions naturelady1. I've had the same questions running through my head. I buy mixed nuts 50 pounds at a time. What should I do when I bring them home? How should they be stored (lasts several months)?

Good topic especially for us newbies who never worried about nuts or aflatoxins.

Michele

Quote Originally Posted by mpetys
    Thanks for asking these questions naturelady1. I've had the same questions running through my head. I buy mixed nuts 50 pounds at a time. What should I do when I bring them home? How should they be stored (lasts several months)?

Good topic especially for us newbies who never worried about nuts or aflatoxins.

Michele
    Thanks Michele, there's so much to learn...

I was supposed to be leaving to go get some "essential" errands done, but got sucked into a little bit of computer searching. I might have answered part of my own question, cause I found this on glidercentral.net.

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthre...t&Number=69760

This was dated 2009...don't know if anything new has been discovered or not?
    Never dreamed there would be so much info...gotta love the squirrel forums!

mpetys Guest

Good information but I am still hoping to get information on the correct way to store nuts if we don't want to roast them. After all, the main reason for nuts in the shell is for the squirrels to have to open them. Also, I have hickory nuts so those take quite a while to get into and provides a nice activity for them.

Yes, I have learned so much in the past year but still feel like such a newbie!

Michele

Understand completely...me too cause I feed outside kids!

I haven't left the computer yet...have read so many bigggg words in scientific journals about alfatoxins that my head is spinning. Interesting tho, that some of the new technology utilizes something called hydrated sodium calcium aluminosilicate which apparently somehow "binds" to and "neutralizes" somewhat the effects of certain alfaltoxins...and this stuff is commonly found in certain types of clays. Way smarter brains than mine are hard at work trying to come up with solutions to this world wide nemesis, one group was using nanotechnolgy...jeesch! I feel so stupid, cause I didn't even know they existed before Sunday.

Hmmm,...our wilds bury nuts in the soil...and eat so many things that we really don't know about...they have survived for such a long time in a world of molds and toxins...maybe in the wild, the majority of them are finding what they need to neutralize this nasty??

I realize this doesn't help our issues, but it was where the past few hours of internet surfing wound up. Have to REALLY go now...lol

virgo062 Guest

How to Store Nuts (Without Cheek Pouches)

Q. For convenience, I like to keep a variety of nuts on hand for cooking and baking. Is it possible to freeze nuts to keep them from going rancid?
    A. Because of the high fat content of nuts, they are very susceptible to going rancid, so frankly, you’re nuts if you don’t keep them in the freezer or at least the refrigerator. Light, heat, moisture, and the presence of metal conspire to spoil nuts, so they are best stored in sealed plastic or glass containers in a dark, cool, dry place. The freezer is ideal, and doesn’t harm the nuts at all.

Nuts also quickly absorb odors from their surroundings, which is another argument for keeping them in isolation in cold storage.

Peanuts, pecans and walnuts are most susceptible to spoiling, while almonds and cashews are among the least. Nuts keep for approximately twice as long in the shell as they do shelled. A good rule of thumb is that a fresh nut will keep for four months in the refrigerator and eight months in the freezer. Of course, you generally have no idea how fresh the nuts you buy are, so you should try to buy them from a busy store that turns over lots of product frequently.

Rancid nuts will ruin whatever you put them in, so be sure to taste a sample before you add them to a recipe.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by naturelady1
    Understand completely...me too cause I feed outside kids!

I haven't left the computer yet...have read so many bigggg words in scientific journals about alfatoxins that my head is spinning. Interesting tho, that some of the new technology utilizes something called hydrated sodium calcium aluminosilicate which apparently somehow "binds" to and "neutralizes" somewhat the effects of certain alfaltoxins...and this stuff is commonly found in certain types of clays. Way smarter brains than mine are hard at work trying to come up with solutions to this world wide nemesis, one group was using nanotechnolgy...jeesch! I feel so stupid, cause I didn't even know they existed before Sunday.

Hmmm,...our wilds bury nuts in the soil...and eat so many things that we really don't know about...they have survived for such a long time in a world of molds and toxins...maybe in the wild, the majority of them are finding what they need to neutralize this nasty??

I realize this doesn't help our issues, but it was where the past few hours of internet surfing wound up. Have to REALLY go now...lol
    You know there might be something to this...
    Bentonite is sold for human consumption along with green algae to add the specific polysaccharide, ulvans, to open up the platelets, as we call the clay structure in ceramics, there may be some possibilities for a detox agent.
    Bentonite is used as a flocculant in ceramic glazes. It's also used to add plasticity to 'throwing' clay bodies.

Yes, it has binding properties.

Pierre needs to get in on this!!!!
    PM time

sorry non of this probably made a damn bit of sense but I think you are on to something Naturelady!