Thread: Squirrel is stuck BEHIND chimney :(

|brownsound| Guest

Default Squirrel is stuck BEHIND chimney :(

Hi everybody, I'm new to this board.

Since we live in Texas, the fireplace NEVER gets used. A few days ago, my family started to hear noises in the chimney. This has happened once before to us, and we successfully got the creature out that time (If I remember correctly it was a baby raccoon). Well, it started happening a few days ago, and I immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was just stuck behind the chimney-door somewhere in the chimney (I don't know what the actual term for that little door is).

At this point, I had no idea what kind of animal it was, but my guess was squirrel or bird. Anyway, I moved the big screen tv, cleared a lot of space, and then commenced with the 'rescue'. I opened the chimney door, expecting the creature to scurry on out as soon as I opened it. Nothing came out. Then I thought maybe it could be a bird (I know, very unlikely). I got a high powered flashlight and looked all the way up the chimney, absolutely nothing. Again. Also, the noises started to get louder.

I had to wait and listen for a LONG time before the poor thing started to scramble again and try to get out. Then I realized it was BEHIND the chimney. In the location at the very base of the fireplace. I thought this was really unusual because, to my recollection, there was absolutely no entry point for an animal that big to get in a space like that. Then I walked the perimeter of the house and realized that at the very front there is a good sized hole underneath one of the exterior window's faux shutter design. At that point I realized it had to be a squirrel because of the way the hole looked.

My dilemma is this: I absolutely cannot find any way to make the squirrel realize it needs to come back the way it came, I don't even know if it can.

What kind of food or what can I drop in the hole? My father absolutely will not call an exterminator or animal control...and I cannot let the squirrel starve and die in there

I guess what I'm looking for are ideas on how to try and attract the squirrel back toward the hole it came from, or just ideas on how to take it out safely.

Thank you!

Default Re: Squirrel is stuck BEHIND chimney :(

Not too clear on your dilema, but I will give it a shot. Is this a place that you can perhaps lower a real thick rope or tie strips of sheets together and secure somewhere so that if he decides to climb out, the whole thing will not go falling back in?
    Can you guess how far down he is? Is there anyway to get water to him?

Did the squirrel get in the fresh air intake duct for the fireplace? And is this duct below the faux shutter or behind it? (just trying to be clear) Is there a cover at the end of the duct on the outside of the house that was chewed through? Take off the cover or any kind of blockage (is there a baffle of some sort in there?) and put nuts and sunflower seeds at the end of the duct at the outside end. If he got in, he should be able to get out.... but maybe he doesn't think he can because the hole isn't big enough or there might be some kind of one way baffle in the way?? Or maybe he's just scared right now and might go out tonight when it's quiet and dark...
    Is there a way to push a broom handle through the duct from the inside? (only do this if you know the way is clear for the squirrel to get out). Also, can you shine a light in there somehow to see if there is any blockages etc?

Tomo Guest

Sometimes squirrels are attracted to the sound of two walnuts being clanked together. If you do that outside the hole, perhaps the baby will follow the sound? I'd put nuts and perhaps something like grapes inside the hole, but if it can get to food right at the opening, it would be able to get back out. The problem is that there is a good chance that behind the inner brick of the fireplace there is enough space for the squirrel to get stuck, but not enough for it to turn around or to back out. I don't know how your fireplace is made, but perhaps calling a store that install fireplaces and asking about how to remove the back wall of brick (sometimes it's just a fireproof facade that can be removed and replaced) or asking their recommendation to getting an animal out from behind the firewall. You may also be able to just cut into one of the bricks in the back of the fireplace, but that's tricky and can be dangerous to the squirrel if it's stuck right where you're cutting the brick.

Anther option may be: Do you have an attic/crawl space where the chimney goes through? Sometime there are gaps around the brick and/or you can pull up the floor boards behind or to the side of the fireplace and then put a long, medium sized hemp rope down the hole so it goes the length of the fireplace and hope the squirrel can get to it and climb up into the crawl space where it can be captured.

The siding of the house could be carefully cut and removed to be easily replaced and see if more lights aids the squirrel in coming back out the opening. The problem is that this may be a mother with babies and she will not want to leave them.

If you do capture it, you will need to see if it needs first aid and hydration. being stuck without water is fatal.

I'd try calling around and talking with anyone that builds, sells, or otherwise deals with fireplace building/replacement and ask their advice.

I hope it comes out and brings any relatives it may have in there with it. I would definitely leave the flue open (that's the little flap that you open when having a fire going). It may have gotten in that way, strange as it seems.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Josephina Guest

Maybe tie some really juicy fruit and lower it down for it to gnaw on, like watermelon. This will help rehydrate it and the sugar will help it calm down a bit. I suspect that squirrels kind of lose focus when their sugar seems low after they've not eaten in a while.

Seems like he went in there to nest. Why do you think he can't get out? My guys can climb on bricks, you know.

Also, do you have a trapdoor in the fireplace for the ashes? It would be on the floor of the fireplace underneath where the wood burns.

|brownsound| Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo
    Sometimes squirrels are attracted to the sound of two walnuts being clanked together. If you do that outside the hole, perhaps the baby will follow the sound? I'd put nuts and perhaps something like grapes inside the hole, but if it can get to food right at the opening, it would be able to get back out. The problem is that there is a good chance that behind the inner brick of the fireplace there is enough space for the squirrel to get stuck, but not enough for it to turn around or to back out. I don't know how your fireplace is made, but perhaps calling a store that install fireplaces and asking about how to remove the back wall of brick (sometimes it's just a fireproof facade that can be removed and replaced) or asking their recommendation to getting an animal out from behind the firewall. You may also be able to just cut into one of the bricks in the back of the fireplace, but that's tricky and can be dangerous to the squirrel if it's stuck right where you're cutting the brick.

Anther option may be: Do you have an attic/crawl space where the chimney goes through? Sometime there are gaps around the brick and/or you can pull up the floor boards behind or to the side of the fireplace and then put a long, medium sized hemp rope down the hole so it goes the length of the fireplace and hope the squirrel can get to it and climb up into the crawl space where it can be captured.

The siding of the house could be carefully cut and removed to be easily replaced and see if more lights aids the squirrel in coming back out the opening. The problem is that this may be a mother with babies and she will not want to leave them.

If you do capture it, you will need to see if it needs first aid and hydration. being stuck without water is fatal.

I'd try calling around and talking with anyone that builds, sells, or otherwise deals with fireplace building/replacement and ask their advice.

I hope it comes out and brings any relatives it may have in there with it. I would definitely leave the flue open (that's the little flap that you open when having a fire going). It may have gotten in that way, strange as it seems.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far everybody. I've still been at it since my post trying to figure out different ways to get through to him.

I know my post is a little confusing/vague. As to the suggestions of lowering something down, I've tried some fruit for now, and at this point I'm thinking that idea to lure him out w/ fruit will not work. Unfortunately, Tomo, you were right and there isn't enough space for him to even turn around. And he is not in the fresh air intake duct.

We absolutely never use our fireplace, so I'm gonna saw through the side walls of it very carefully. My dad would likely flip out if he saw I did this, so I'm gonna do it soon as he leaves for work, and then cover up my tracks and he'll be none the wiser, as long as I find some way to seal it back up so it doesn't cause any future problems.

Another question I have, very important: How long can squirrels go without food/water? I'm worried if I wait til morning he/she may die, but honestly I don't know anything about them. If I have to I will just saw through it right now.

Thank you everybody for the help so far. I will keep yall posted. If I can get this thing out, I will dig up my camera and snap some pics to post for yall.

If you know that you can saw through without hurting him for sure, I'd do it right now. The stress of being trapped might kill him. Especially if he can't turn around. If you must wait until morning, do it as soon as possible.
    He'll be able to go a while without food...but not water. And definitely not under those stressful conditions. If there's anyway to get juicy fruits down there, I'd do it... I know you've tried... but just repeating in case a new idea hits you.

Good luck... and thank you for caring so much about the poor guy.

Just a thought...If you do make an exit hole...and he does come out through it...and he is not injured...be prepared for a frenzied squirrel coming towards you. My little guy-Rama Rota-HATES any pounding or loud noises and goes into HIGH ALERT mode. Have a pair of HEAVY GLOVES,( welding type) if you handle a WILD squirrel. I hope he is FINE and scampers away, but if he needs help, you will need protection to handle him.and have a cage to immediately put him in if you need to treat and feed him .Keep him warm, hydrated, and in a noise free and dark environment for the first few hours. GOOD LUCK with the rescue operation. We are all praying for your success....

Hello

How long has squirrel been stuck?

Could you get us a picture of that front hole you described, and picture of where you thought it is stuck at. Perhaps we can better help you. I also think if you want, put water and peanuts at the entrance. Even flash a light at the entrance into the hole, to guide lit fellor... And lastly? Would you consider pouring water into chimley from top? Maybe squirrel will slide off the slippery surface, and besides it can't go without water for few more days... (well just a thought)

Lets get the squirrel out yeah?

Squirrels will go toward light -- if there is any way you can show him the way out (if he doesn't have to turn around to do it) he may get himself out....just hoping......thank you for not giving up on this poor guy!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

mpetys Guest

Is it possible to put some ice cubes in a piece of cloth and lower it down? That way he doesn't get hit on the head with it and will have moisture.

Michele

Tomo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by |brownsound|
    I know my post is a little confusing/vague. As to the suggestions of lowering something down, I've tried some fruit for now, and at this point I'm thinking that idea to lure him out w/ fruit will not work. Unfortunately, Tomo, you were right and there isn't enough space for him to even turn around. And he is not in the fresh air intake duct.
    If you are cutting into structure, use a stud sensor to find where the studs are first and mark them so you don't cut into them. Facade can be replaced with no problem. He can go about 5-8 days without food, but need water everyday. You may have to cage this little one for a few days to beef it back up if when you get to it it's debilitated. So you may want to have a cage ready to go. Hopefully, it will race out of the hole and not try to get back in once it's been repaired. If I can help just PM me.

Good luck with getting the little one out. My prayers are with you and the squirrel.

This may be a silly idea after all the nfo you have already gotten, but hr it is anyway. We had a fake owl on the top of our chimney to frighten pigeons (yeah right! lol) and it fell down the chimney. I don't know how but it ended up in the basement at the base of the chimney. There is a little door for clean out or something. I really don't understand how it ended up there without coming though the actual fireplace in the living room but maybe your squirrel could have done the same thing? Do you have a basement? Good luck to the poor guy!

OK...husband answered the how it happened question. We have 2 chimneys because one is for the furnace. The fake owl fell down the furnace chimney.

Still no news of the lil guy?

I'm praying for him, praying he's OK and can be freed.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Thinking of you and Squirrel.

Can you still hear movement? Getting some ice cubes-gently-down to him would be a BIG HELP.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING ( of Costa Rica )

Wonder what happened here? Did the squirrel get out?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.