Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wild Squirrel Recipe

Default Re: Wild Squirrel Recipe

Hi CritterMom. I have tried your recipe with the oil and PB, but my wilds didn't touch them. The only block I can find is the Kaytee Forti-Diet. Could it be that they don't like the Kay-Tee? I tried the tough love approach, gave them nothing but blocks for two days. Are there any other recipes you can share. I feed about 30 wilds daily, and it is costing an arm and leg. My husband jokes that the squirrels are better fed than our kids.

I think it is the block. The Mazuri is softer and much more porous, and they suck up the oil/pb mixture like a sponge.

Mazuri makes two kinds - interchangeable as far as taste is concerned from what I can see. One is called Mazuri Rodent and is available in 25# bags. The other is Mazuri Rodent Breeder and comes in 50# bags and is the best buy - about $25 for 50 pounds.

Mazuri is owned by Purina. Purina is one of the largest animal feed companies out there. If there are any businesses that cater to farming/agriculture that sells livestock food around you, call and see if they sell Purina. If they do, they can order you the Mazuri food along with their other feeds when they restock and you won't be looking at the shipping charges you would for 50 pounds of anything.

Thanks CritterMom. I'll look into that. It didn't seem like the blocks were sucking in the PB. I'll try to find the Mazuri and see what happens.

I have never had ANYTHING willing to eat the Forti Diet, regardless of how I messed with them...

When Monkey weaned herself off formula, I had the hardest time to try to get her to eat the Kay-Tee. I ground up the Kay-Tee to a powder, added some vanilla yogurt, a few broken up little pieces of pecan and some flax seed, and put the mixture in a little dish. That is the only way she would eat her blocks.

Is it really necessary to put out special food for wild squirrels? I feed plenty in my neighborhood, and I just feed them peanuts, almonds and walnuts and for the picky ones that don't like any of that, pecans.

Yesterday, I was packing up the plastic Sterilite containers I keep the nuts in and I went in the house to do something and I forgot I left them outside. When I discovered this a couple hours later the handles had been chewed off. LOL So had to go buy new containers last night.

Quote Originally Posted by mdyoung216 View Post
    Is it really necessary to put out special food for wild squirrels? I feed plenty in my neighborhood, and I just feed them peanuts, almonds and walnuts and for the picky ones that don't like any of that, pecans.

Yesterday, I was packing up the plastic Sterilite containers I keep the nuts in and I went in the house to do something and I forgot I left them outside. When I discovered this a couple hours later the handles had been chewed off. LOL So had to go buy new containers last night.
    I went to the Mazuri rather than go broke. I have TONS of wilds and I love watching them but since I haven't won Powerball (yet) I had to use something less pricey than nuts but still healthy because I am the Food Nazi. So I came up with my doctored Mazuri blocks. No mess, no shells and about.50 per pound.

Same as what CritterMom said. I feed what seems to be the entire neighborhood of squirrels, and it doesn't leave me much in the way of grocery money for my two legged family.

So feeding them nuts is fine, you were just looking for a cheaper alternative?

Yes, feeding them nuts is fine. I worry about them getting the vitamins they need throughout the winter when food is scarce.
    I'm also feeding so many squirrels, that the price of nuts is getting very expensive. It would be great if I could find a block that they would eat. That way I wouldn't worry so much about them getting proper nutrition. Of course, they would still get their nuts for desert.

slh3165 Guest

If anyone wants to email me some recipes it would be much appreciated...
    Email: slharting@iuhealth.org

When I have a picky eater, or wilds wanting a dinner on my doorstep, I use the below recipe. Wilds and picky eaters love it.

3 cups Rodent Block
    3 TBS Coconut Oil
    1 Cup ground Nuts (I use Hazelnuts)
    Squaddy to Hanzel , The sweetest Maloccluded boy in the world, and Gem - A jewel of a squirrel, who just happens to be paralyzed!

RIP my sweet Rex . Wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge.

LeviStout12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma View Post
    I'll email you a whole bunch o stuff Nancy...
    Hi, i'm new to this website but I was wondering if you could send them to my email as well, please? Thank you!

Originally Posted by mugzeezma View Post
    I'll email you a whole bunch o stuff Nancy... December 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LeviStout12 View Post
    Hi, i'm new to this website but I was wondering if you could send them to my email as well, please? Thank you!
    Levi.
    ..the member( mugzeema) who wrote that post (over three years ago) is no longer active on TSB...

But WELCOME to TSB...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123