Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild Squirrel Recipe

Default Re: Wild Squirrel Recipe

I too have followed Crittermom's recipe with great success. My wilds attempt to lick the coating off but they eventually give up and eat (or bury) the whole thing. Wish I could nail them down.

gailbk Guest

Hi...I'm new here also. I have read so many threads and found out that there are people who love these fellows as much as me.

My goal is to feed "Pinkly Wrinkly" (my husband named him), a red squirrel. He has mite mange and I'm working on finding medicine (Ivomectin) I can sneak into food. He takes food from my hand. I can't find "mazuri" rat block at the local pet shop (PetCo). My town is agaist helping wildlife (city council choice). But now that they rely on me I am responsible.
    But I need to feed him something better. Is there a bag of food I can feed him right away?
    Temps are going even lower at the end of the week, I need to act fast and don't know of feed/tack stores to shop at. I'm sure he'll freeze to death if I can't do something. He comes to my front door twice a day, and basks in the sun while eating peanuts. We sit near each other and he looks at me as though he knows I want to help him.
    Can you help, quickly?

Ivermectin can be purchased for about $5-$7 at tack and feed shops. Do you have a Tractor Supply nearby? If you go to Tractorsupply.com and enter your zip code it will give you store choices. If there are riding academies in the area, you may call and ask - stables buy this stuff in bulk and often will sell you a single tube. It is easily available online from places like horse.com for a couple dollars.

As for a premade diet, Petco does sell Kaytee Forti-diet for rats and mice - it is in a blue bag and looks like giant rabbit food. You will want to spiff it up with some peanut butter though. Even good quality nutritious nuts like almonds and hazelnuts would be appreciated, I am sure.

gailbk Guest

Thanks CritterMom,
    I'm out the door to get the KayTee Forti diet right now. I'm plugging in Tractor supply to my gps and I'll go where ever it takes me.

Pinkly Wrinkly is sitting on my crunchy doormat in the sun, next to the third pile of nuts/veggies and fruits I served him today.
    Never mind the gym...it can wait!

Thanks a million!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gailbk
    One of us! One of us! One of us!

Thanks CritterMom,
    I'm out the door to get the KayTee Forti diet right now. I'm plugging in Tractor supply to my gps and I'll go where ever it takes me.

Pinkly Wrinkly is sitting on my crunchy doormat in the sun, next to the third pile of nuts/veggies and fruits I served him today.

Thanks a million!!!
    LOL. Do the oil/peanut butter trick I describe earlier in this thread or he will laugh at you with the blocks. And they will always be the last thing eaten if you are also serving nuts, so hold off on the nuts, do the blocks first then nuts for desert.

Ivermectin - the dose for a 1 pound rat is a tiny bit the size of an uncooked grain of rice at least 7 days apart. For a little red, I would reduce that dose slightly - they are so much lighter than your standard gray squirrel.

They sell all brands of ivermectin paste wormers - most have the "mectrin" part in the name. Just read the tube - if it is 1.87" ivermectin, you got it. Most of them are apple flavored now, too.

gailbk Guest

Been laughed at already because I didn't combine the oil and peanut butter with the pellets. Will start "cooking" right away.
    Bad news for my little Pinkly, nobody in the western suburbs of Chicago will give me ivomectin. Stupid idiotic laws! I have driven around to many places...even my own cat vet and they all refused me. So sad, I cried all the way home.

Crazy. Click on my name in this post and select "Send a private message" from the drop down. Then send me your name and address and I will ship some off to you first thing tomorow. Horse.com had it on sale for $1.99 a tube and I bought a bunch just for this reason. It would be faster if you could get it locally but this will only be a couple days...

gailbk Guest

message sent, I think, if not, let me know. THANKS! Gail

message sent, I think, if not, let me know. THANKS! Gail
    Got it

Been laughed at already because I didn't combine the oil and peanut butter with the pellets. Will start "cooking" right away.
    Bad news for my little Pinkly, nobody in the western suburbs of Chicago will give me ivomectin. Stupid idiotic laws! I have driven around to many places...even my own cat vet and they all refused me. So sad, I cried all the way home.

Ivermectin is available at every farm store around Chicagoland - PM me if you need help Horse wormer is Ivermectin
    Nancy
    Illinois Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

take a peek at my website for fun happenings and cute critters!

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/index.html

Thank you to all that made the Rehab Cottage dream come true

http://www.ehow.com/how_5718192_trea...squirrels.html

plus any rehabber around you would gladly give you a dose - its wicked cheap

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/illinois-rehabbers.html
    Nancy
    Illinois Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

take a peek at my website for fun happenings and cute critters!

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/index.html

Thank you to all that made the Rehab Cottage dream come true

melitoo Guest

Hi all...I'm new and have a problem I believe falls in this area.

I live in an urban townhouse community and have a very tiny backyard. I currently have nyjer seed out for the gold/house finches, sun/safflower meats for the house finches, chickadees, and small birds, and black oil sunflower seeds for the cardinals and larger birds. I put out a handful of raw peanuts every other day for the jays and woodpeckers and some fresh fruit every few days for anyone who might be interested.

To the point, we live on a narrow, treed creek. One of the resident squirrels is a male my mom began calling Tarzan when I first moved in. He is so cute I didn't mind him coming by the feeders every day and having a sizable meal of sun/safflower seeds and a peanut snack. Having read this is not nutritionally appropriate, and maybe even dangerous for him, I'm horrified!

If I make the peanut butter covered blocks will he prefer them to the seeds? Are the blocks the best option for me to try, for as far as I know he has always been wild. If he prefers the seeds any ideas on how to keep him away? In a larger yard I could move the feeders an adequate distance from trees/fences but I am very limited here.

Basically, I would like to continue feeding the birds but I won't risk Tarzan's health to do so...

Thank you for any suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    I'll email you a whole bunch o stuff Nancy...

I don't mean to bother you, but could you also email me some recipies?
    My email is Fawnproduction54@gmail.com

JBryan Guest

Hello,
    I am new to this forum so if my following question is stupid please forgive me.

I live in Tulsa, OK and have been feeding the wild squirrels for almost a year.
    We supply them with roasted peanuts which they LOVE but I am concerned about the quantity they are eating and if I should give them a variety of foods to keep them healthy.

I tried some sweet potato and they were not interested at all. Should I just stick with any types of nuts? I have already noticed from this forum that the squirrel food mixes found at feed stores/pet stores are not healthy for them but I wasn't sure if they mean pet squirrels living inside or ALL squirrels?

I am a novice to this but well-intentioned so any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Because they're wild, peanuts aren't the end of the world, but providing them a variety would be better. You can offer things like sweet potatoes but they may or many not take them (did you cook it a bit?). Some people buy rodent blocks like Mazuri in bulk, doctor them up in a way we can tell you, and offer those. Those are the best things for them if you can afford it, tough they're not super expensive. Thanks for caring for these guys. Keep asking questions if you have them. The board isn;t always super respoive right now because it's baby season. You may have to wait a bit for an answer.

Someone sent me 10 pounds of Mazuri blocks in response to my Chipper block request. He loved them at first, but now just stashes them in my hair, so I soaked them and mixed in chopped greens then added some avocado, which made them an instant hit!! Still it would have taken him a while to get through all of them, and I was worried they would get old, so I experimented with soaking them in diluted juice (old orchard varieties no HFCS or colors etc), then mixed them with what I was feeding the wilds. They LOVE them! And since they are thoroughly soaked Star can't bury anything in the bad neighbors' yard .

Is this ok long term? I have enough for a couple more days (added bonus, the sweet wild birds like them too). I can't find a source for these blocks in town, but if I get some holiday money this year I am going to buy them online. Someone posted a link on another thread and with shipping they would come out to a dollar a pound, so very reasonable.

I am feeding a zillion babies this year it seems, but have a few chunky adult wilds, two I am a bit concerned about and one is so chunky I have nicknamed him Butterball . They were starting to get chubby before, but I may have to make a "diet mix" for these two .
    SQUIRRELS!! Blog for Butchie and Joey and other squirrels too

Selling handmade crocheted items to support my critters

https://www.etsy.com/shop/crochetedcreations14

Visit me on Facebook

PayPal addy sdreamcatcher@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Wow, when I first saw this post title I assumed we had a troll in our midst. Then I saw who posted it! Here is one of the things I am doing on a small scale, but may begin to do on a large scale, since I have discovered that many feed stores can order Mazuri rat block in 50 and 25 pound bags at a very reasonable price. I am doing this right now with some of my Harlan Teklad blocks, in addition to my famous peanut butter and calcium sandwiches…

I put some of the block in a microwavable dish and pour just enough oil (I use olive oil) on them so that the blocks are all coated with it. I then put a blob of coconut oil and a blob of peanut butter on top of the mess and nuke it for about 60 seconds to melt the PB and coconut oil. I then stir, stir, stir until they are coated, and then put them back in the nuker for another 60 seconds. You want them HOT – the oil should be bubbling and popping in there. More stir, stir, and then let them cool. The blocks SUCK the oil into them, and in the process, also suck the peanut butter into them so squirrely can’t just lick it off the outside. You could dust them with some added calcium if you wanted to as well. They eat every one.

If I can find the bulk Mazuri block I can make these VERY inexpensively – a lot less than peanuts and stuff like that, plus there is no waste or shells in the yard, PLUS it is good food for them.
    I've never tried this, but am curious if my spoiled wilds would try them, LOL!! It sure seems worth a try!

I don't bother with the coconut oil anymore, and use wesson type oil - canola or the like, so it is just oil and PB. I have lots of fat, healthy squirrels put there!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I don't bother with the coconut oil anymore, and use wesson type oil - canola or the like, so it is just oil and PB. I have lots of fat, healthy squirrels put there!
    Thanks for the tip! I LOVE fat, healthy squirrels!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast