Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild Squirrel Recipe

Default Wild Squirrel Recipe

Hi all. I need some help.
    I have searched all over TSB and there are some amazing recipes for all sorts of squirrels but they are very expensive for my outside population. Now my NR are another story - HHB for them and a balanced diet. But the outside guys need something decent too. (I'm sure my releases) I count 11 in one box. I live with 100s of acres of Hickory, Oak, etc etc. There are oodles of trees and habitat, so many go into the woods forever. But of course I feed my birds & squirrels and have 10+ houses in the timber. Yes, the husband drags the huge ladder and we go hiking.
    I am a self funded wildlife rehabber - rare do I get donations but I still want to feed the kids outside something besides the corn and seed routine.
    I find recipes for wildbites but cost is a bit high. I find these recipes online for suet, peanut butter, corn and sunflower seeds - No thank you. Then I actuall found a site with "complete nutrution squirrel blocks" once again corn and sunflower seed glued in a block. We all know better.

Any suggestions????? I'm perplexed. I see my crew out there and I want to help. I was thinking BooBites - ???? They look nice. But rodent block is not a fav - or is it? Add peanut butter??? My friends in town have squirrels that eat ALL their left overs. They toss ALL scraps outside (no meat) and these squirrels eat every last bit.

Thanks guys. Sorry if this is a dead subject - I'm ready to bake! I make all my own dog food (for 11 now) from scratch. I make all my own dog, goat & horse treats. So lets make some for the squirrels. I did get some oats out today????
    Nancy
    Illinois Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

take a peek at my website for fun happenings and cute critters!

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/index.html

Thank you to all that made the Rehab Cottage dream come true

mugzeezma Guest

Default Re: Wild Squirrel Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndHandRanchRescue
    Hi all. I need some help.
    I have searched all over TSB and there are some amazing recipes for all sorts of squirrels but they are very expensive for my outside population. Now my NR are another story - HHB for them and a balanced diet. But the outside guys need something decent too. (I'm sure my releases) I count 11 in one box. I live with 100s of acres of Hickory, Oak, etc etc. There are oodles of trees and habitat, so many go into the woods forever. But of course I feed my birds & squirrels and have 10+ houses in the timber. Yes, the husband drags the huge ladder and we go hiking.
    I am a self funded wildlife rehabber - rare do I get donations but I still want to feed the kids outside something besides the corn and seed routine.
    I find recipes for wildbites but cost is a bit high. I find these recipes online for suet, peanut butter, corn and sunflower seeds - No thank you. Then I actuall found a site with "complete nutrution squirrel blocks" once again corn and sunflower seed glued in a block. We all know better.

Any suggestions????? I'm perplexed. I see my crew out there and I want to help. I was thinking BooBites - ???? They look nice. But rodent block is not a fav - or is it? Add peanut butter??? My friends in town have squirrels that eat ALL their left overs. They toss ALL scraps outside (no meat) and these squirrels eat every last bit.

Thanks guys. Sorry if this is a dead subject - I'm ready to bake! I make all my own dog food (for 11 now) from scratch. I make all my own dog, goat & horse treats. So lets make some for the squirrels. I did get some oats out today????
    I'll email you a whole bunch o stuff Nancy...

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    I'll email you a whole bunch o stuff Nancy...
    Was hoping you could email me those too!!??? Please

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RockyRocko
    Was hoping you could email me those too!!??? Please
    Yes
    because you've been a good little squelf this year!

and maybe another in that chain? My yard squirrels get leftovers but they need good food too.

Please, please, please me too!!! Now that I have started rehabbing and become more aware of their nutritional needs, I worry about my outside squirrels. I try to feed them well but could use some suggestions.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Baxied
    Please, please, please me too!!! Now that I have started rehabbing and become more aware of their nutritional needs, I worry about my outside squirrels. I try to feed them well but could use some suggestions.
    They are some recipes and ideas pulled from various sources. I was going to do some more research on the nutritional values but for wilds it's not as important as providing energy for cold weather.
    Vionate can always be added to a cereal recipe and proteins and starches can be manipulated with soy or rice. I'll type out more tomorrow afternoon.

One rehabber I know feeds Zupreem Pelleted bird feed for her wilds...

I did a bit of searching around on the ingredients, etc
    looks like
    good protein, fat, and fiber content...
    all the major Vits and minerals
    (required calcium and phosphorous ratios appear to be the same for sq and aves)

And Canthax to bring out their red! jk

Looks GOOD!

Ingredients
    Ground corn, Soybean meal, Ground wheat, Vegetable oil, Wheat germ meal, Sucrose, Dicalcium phosphate, Calcium carbonate, Ground vegetables (carrots, celery, beets, watercress and spinach), Iodized salt, DL-Methionine, Choline chloride, L-Lysine, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, Natural mixed tocopherols, Rosemary extract, Citric
    acid, Canthaxanthin, Manganous oxide, Zinc oxide, Copper sulfate, Calcium iodate, Sodium selenite, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin E supplement, Vitamin K supplement, Niacin, Calcium pantothenate, Pyridoxine hydrochloride, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Folic acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 supplement

guaranteed analysis
    Crude Protein Not less than 14.0%
    Crude Fat Not less than 4.0%
    Crude Fiber Not greater than 3.5%

Wow, when I first saw this post title I assumed we had a troll in our midst. Then I saw who posted it! Here is one of the things I am doing on a small scale, but may begin to do on a large scale, since I have discovered that many feed stores can order Mazuri rat block in 50 and 25 pound bags at a very reasonable price. I am doing this right now with some of my Harlan Teklad blocks, in addition to my famous peanut butter and calcium sandwiches…

I put some of the block in a microwavable dish and pour just enough oil (I use olive oil) on them so that the blocks are all coated with it. I then put a blob of coconut oil and a blob of peanut butter on top of the mess and nuke it for about 60 seconds to melt the PB and coconut oil. I then stir, stir, stir until they are coated, and then put them back in the nuker for another 60 seconds. You want them HOT – the oil should be bubbling and popping in there. More stir, stir, and then let them cool. The blocks SUCK the oil into them, and in the process, also suck the peanut butter into them so squirrely can’t just lick it off the outside. You could dust them with some added calcium if you wanted to as well. They eat every one.

If I can find the bulk Mazuri block I can make these VERY inexpensively – a lot less than peanuts and stuff like that, plus there is no waste or shells in the yard, PLUS it is good food for them.

virgo062 Guest

You have opened a can or worms.......me too

OMG - thanks for so much help guys. My petstore just ordered me some of the Mazuri blocks. That is a great idea too - waming and getting the tasty oil in them. My winter babies are like drug addicts with the HHB and Boobites (thay had been on boring rat food) but my released guys need good grub too. Now I have 3 injured NR adults. 1 loves the HHB but the 2 old boys - GRRRRR At this point they have had too many nuts! Its a battle - but I'm sure you guys know this. This forum has helped me so much. I have had no one to ask these questions too. Its all been pretty much Esbilac and Rat blocks. Yes yes I now know FV! I did have soooo many diareah issues last year. Didn't loose any but ick. The raccoonies were fine so they can have my Esbilac. FV for my sqirrels. My vet sends all her baby & nutrition calls to me, I now print off your cool cage ideas, nutrition pyramid, MBD etc etc for my vet and others with squirrels. (no one has internet out here) so once again - thanks everyone.
    Nancy

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndHandRanchRescue
    OMG - thanks for so much help guys. My petstore just ordered me some of the Mazuri blocks. That is a great idea too - waming and getting the tasty oil in them. My winter babies are like drug addicts with the HHB and Boobites (thay had been on boring rat food) but my released guys need good grub too. Now I have 3 injured NR adults. 1 loves the HHB but the 2 old boys - GRRRRR At this point they have had too many nuts! Its a battle - but I'm sure you guys know this. This forum has helped me so much. I have had no one to ask these questions too. Its all been pretty much Esbilac and Rat blocks. Yes yes I now know FV! I did have soooo many diareah issues last year. Didn't loose any but ick. The raccoonies were fine so they can have my Esbilac. FV for my sqirrels. My vet sends all her baby & nutrition calls to me, I now print off your cool cage ideas, nutrition pyramid, MBD etc etc for my vet and others with squirrels. (no one has internet out here) so once again - thanks everyone.
    The Martha Squewart award is equally divided between Crittermom and Momma2Boo.

The only way Mugzi would eat HHBs was if they were slathered in walnut oil @ $8/4oz
    Finnagin is not quite so bad.

The only thing I would be concerned about the larger block is that squirrels tend to bury most of them or lick off the yummies on the outside, toss it and pee on it.
    That's what the indoor brats do. At least the outsiders are a bit more appreciative. They dig a shallow grave save it for later and grab another tidbit.

Face it ladies they are smarter than us!

I'm thinking about something that can be baked and NAILED DOWN so they have to nibble off of it
    I'm workin' on it... I'm workin' on it

Nancy
    If she doesn't get claimed for edu...I may have a silly, fatty, dirty face for you... I threw your name in the pot... hope that's ok

So here is the “recipe” I am using to give my wilds a more nutritious treat without breaking the bank.

I was able to purchase the Mazuri rat block in 25 pound bags for about $16 at a local feed store. Mazuri is owned by Purina, so even if they don’t have it, they can usually order it, since Purina is a huge manufacturer of animal feeds.

I wanted to doctor it up so they would actually eat it, and the following works GREAT:

3 cups rat block
    3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 Tablespoons peanut butter

Microwave for about a minute and stir completely, distributing and coating all of the blocks with the oil/PB mixture. Return to microwave and cook for another minute or so, until it is literally sizzling hot. Stir again and set aside to cool (it will take a while – they are like lava when you take them out!). By the time they cool, they have sucked up a great deal of the peanut flavor from the PB/oil mixture. Mine love them and nothing is left behind. The birds, and especially the seagulls, who had started to be a problem, are very “meh” on the subject – they don’t like.

Really getting them boiling hot is the secret - they become totally impregnated with the peanut flavor that way and they all get eaten!

Thanks Critter Mom! I just got the email alert - "Wild Squirrel Recipe" and got my dander up.... LOL now I understand the remark "troll" Never thought to say Food for Wild Squirrels. My DNR friends send me icky recipes - very naughty boys.
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    Wow, when I first saw this post title I assumed we had a troll in our midst. Then I saw who posted it! Here is one of the things I am doing on a small scale, but may begin to do on a large scale, since I have discovered that many feed stores can order Mazuri rat block in 50 and 25 pound bags at a very reasonable price. I am doing this right now with some of my Harlan Teklad blocks, in addition to my famous peanut butter and calcium sandwiches…

I put some of the block in a microwavable dish and pour just enough oil (I use olive oil) on them so that the blocks are all coated with it. I then put a blob of coconut oil and a blob of peanut butter on top of the mess and nuke it for about 60 seconds to melt the PB and coconut oil. I then stir, stir, stir until they are coated, and then put them back in the nuker for another 60 seconds. You want them HOT – the oil should be bubbling and popping in there. More stir, stir, and then let them cool. The blocks SUCK the oil into them, and in the process, also suck the peanut butter into them so squirrely can’t just lick it off the outside. You could dust them with some added calcium if you wanted to as well. They eat every one.

If I can find the bulk Mazuri block I can make these VERY inexpensively – a lot less than peanuts and stuff like that, plus there is no waste or shells in the yard, PLUS it is good food for them.

Will this work without the coconut oil?

I have really simplified. I use regular vegetable oil or canola oil - just enough to coat the blocks - and a good sized blob of peanut butter. You will want to experiement - I make 5-6 cups of this a day - you will likely make less, so experiment with the amounts and time. You do want the mixture to "boil" though - that is what sucks the PB into the block.

I attempted to make it, just olive oil and natural PB, 1st run not ideal, but I put it out anyway. Maybe they will try it. I will continue to experiment.

mine won't eat the mazuri at all so I am gonna try this NOW!

more recipes posted please thank you very much

[QUOTE=CritterMom] Wow, when I first saw this post title I assumed we had a troll in our midst. ./[QUOTE]

Me too!!
    But when I saw the name I then had to wonder if 2nd hand
    done cracked too many acorns...

I make the Warm Treats a la Crittermom's recipe once in a while, epecially in the cold months. But mostly I just crush up one or two kinds of rodent block in the mortar, crushed with pestle to a fine powder. (I only make about a cup or so's worth at a time). Then I add water to form a dough-y, paste-y consistency. Then I refrigerate.
    When I want to give a ball to a wild, I smush a blob of almond butter (or peanut butter) into a nice sized ball of the 'dough-paste', scrunch it around, reform into ball, and then serve just like that.

Often I'll make the right amount of balls for the day early in the morning so I can give them out as I see each of my wilds.
    If the 'dough' or balls turn out too mushy, I just pop 'em in the freezer for a bit before serving.
    Sometimes I'll replace the water with homemade veggie broth (no salt) or even pureed veggies (and sometimes fruit)--like a mix of greens with an apple, for example. If I balance it right with the nut butter and dough-paste, they don't even hesitate to eat it. But like that, the paste doesn't last as long, so just be careful.

dkviverito Guest

hello every one i am new here and have found a lot of good info on what to feed the wild critters i have a few rehabbers that use our property for a release site and enjoy feeding them after they are free thanks for all the info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast