Thread: Poor little guy with mange...?

KMJ Guest

Unhappy Poor little guy with mange...?

This poor fellow arrived at my deck with what I suspect is mange (any confirmations?). I'm concerned this will spread to the other squirrels who frequent my yard, and whom I feed regularly. Should I quit putting out peanuts for a while, to discourage this particular poor guy...?
    Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Poor little guy with mange...?

Just a little resizing...

I am running out as I write.....but I pm'd a rehabber to help you...

KMJ Guest

Thanks, Nancy!

KMJ Guest

I forgot to mention that I have noticed a significant deterioration in this guy's fur within the last week (the infected skin is bright pink, scratched raw in some spots, and almost looks inflamed/raised around his eyes--moreso of course on the other eye that isn't in the photo).
    Cheers,
    KMJ

OK sorry nobody has gotten back to you yet. This little one does appear to have mange. I just pm'd a member from Ontario that just recently picked up a squirrel with mange and is treating him. It is hard to treat one in the wild, better if you can get them inside, to do it right. Can you get close enough to this squirrel to feed? If so, perhaps you can get Ivermectin and give it to him twice, 10 days apart, but we have to wait for somebody else to tell us the doseage...I have never done this and this is a powerful drug, so I don't want to make a mistake. Can you tell me where you are located in Ontario?

Hi....yes, it is Mange. Poor baby. If you have a HaveAheart trap, try to trap this guy. His fur loss is too much for him to handle the cold.

Do you have a trusted vet or someone who can get you medication? Ivermectin one drug to help this guy...if you can get some I will PM you the dosage and info regarding it...it is a very strong drug and must be used with extreme care. Revolution topical kitten/puppy flea/mite treatment will work too. If you can get the Revolution and get close to the squirrel just one drop on the back of his neck is what is needed. Revolution will help...but I would suggests trying to trap this guy and give him a chance to recover and grow some fur back.

Please keep us posted....Good Luck
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

See all of the forest, not just the trees

KMJ Guest

Thumbs up Re: Poor little guy with mange...?

Thank you so much for all of your support, confirmation, and suggestions! I am going to see what I can do on my end here with this poor fellow....you are all such a wonderful group of people with HUGE hearts--a real treat to discover. Please continue what you are doing....

THANKS AGAIN!!!
    KMJ

What city are you in? hopefully I can help. I have meds for this. Do you have a Have-A-Heart Trap to catch her/him with?

Kiteran Guest

Ivermectin is a drug that can assist this individual; If you are successful in procuring some medication, please let me know, and I will send you a private message containing the appropriate dosage and additional information about the drug. This drug is quite potent, and it is imperative that it be used with extreme caution. A flea and tick treatment for kittens and puppies will also work. If you can get Revolution and move close to the squirrel, then all that is needed is a single drop applied on its nape. Revolution will help some; but, I would recommend trying to capture this individual and give it a chance to recover.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 10-05-2022 at 07:23 AM. Reason: outside links not permitted on TSB

This is an old inactive thread.

Members who have read this thread: 3