Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Neighbor Trapping Squirrels Outside & Killing Them

Default Re: Neighbor Trapping Squirrels Outside & Killing Them

This happened with my son and his neighbor a few years back and my son was told by the city, animal control and the police department that as long as his neighbor was in his own yard and was only using a BB gun (not a gun) to shoot the squirrels with that he was not breaking the law... as our county deems wild squirrels a nuisance.

Man did that make us soooooo MAD/ANGRY -

My son had to stop feeding the squirrels in his own back yard to keep them safe from his next door neighbor....... and my husband had to keep my son from beating the stupid out of his neighbor....... - - - - - - - - - - -> some people

mpetys Guest

Quote Originally Posted by astra
    Of course, that must have been a project to search the attic and patch the hole, but I just cannot help laughing.... I had a similar situation when some fuzzbutt tried to get through a fan vent on the kitchen ceiling...

But I didn't get to see a little squirrel face, because my landlord closed all openings. And yes, that solved the problem.
    In fact, it is often strongly suggested that homeowners inspect their houses for holes and other possible animal entry points. Once those are patched and potentially 'weak' points are reinforced, the problem is solved, pretty much (unless there is some especially determined furball - then, of course, a little extra effort might be needed;-)).
    My husband is a beekeeper and Astra's advice is also good advice to prevent bees from taking up in your attic or walls. Just remember that a bee just needs a tiny little opening. Like when holes are drilled to run water or electrical pipes through the wall - make sure the hole is sealed tight around the pipes or the bees will use that as an entry point. My husband recently took some interior drywall out and removed a beehive that filled a section of the wall between the 2 x 4's (either 16" or 24" - don't remember) and it filled from floor to ceiling about 8'. They had filled about 1/2 of the next section.

Michele

This happened with my son and his neighbor a few years back and my son was told by the city, animal control and the police department that as long as his neighbor was in his own yard and was only using a BB gun (not a gun) to shoot the squirrels with that he was not breaking the law... as our county deems wild squirrels a nuisance.

I don't know what the laws are down there, but here there is a hunting and trapping season on squirrels. You have to have a hunting license even if you are on your own land as far as I know.
    I don't know if the size of the gun matters but there are usually laws on that too. I was just looking at the hunting guide last month (although I don't hunt, I go into the wilderness a lot. What little is left around here.) I was wondering then why anyone would want to trap a squirrel. I guess now I know.

fly 'second to the right, and straight on till morning'

I'm sorry I have to vent here. Game Laws should apply to this somehow. The world we find ourselves living in is really messed up when it allows someone to trap and kill a critter, deeming it a nuisance, after they've moved into the habitat this animal and its ancestors had known for centuries, and offer shelter in the form of house openings incorrectly sealed and food in the form of bird seed, outside dog dishes, and improperly contained garbage. Animals are opportunists, thats how they survive.

I lose more and more respect for the human species the older I get. We have the bigger brain cavity, you think we could figure it out. These animals are no threat to our species survival. These ignorant slobs are doing this as a power trip, nothing more. Guess I sound cynical, but so many are so stoopid.

And then... I think about the the kind of wonderful caring folks that are here at the TSB and climb down off my soapbox, realizing that there many people who do "get it". Like everyone else, I get frustrated, but realize that education and experiences play a huge role in how people respond to the natural world around them

Its the reason I teach children, so that hopefull they have a clue by the time they get to be adults.
    “If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder without any such gift from the fairies, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in” Rachel Carson

Sorry, got off topic a bit, but falling off those damn soapboxes can be discombobulating....

Quote Originally Posted by naturelady1
    Like everyone else, I get frustrated, but realize that education and experiences play a huge role in how people respond to the natural world around them
    Its the reason I teach children, so that hopefull they have a clue by the time they get to be adults.
    “If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder without any such gift from the fairies, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in” Rachel Carson
    AMEN! Every critter I get goes to school. The children (and their parents) learn to love and respect animals. Can't tell you how many PARENTS hated possums until they met Porky Possum. My children are the best ambassadors for wildlife preservation there are--they teach their families. I'm afraid we can't help the braindead but teach a child and that child teaches the world.

fly 'second to the right, and straight on till morning'

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs
    I'm afraid we can't help the braindead but teach a child and that child teaches the world.

He won't even know who's reported him. I mean, you could have told your other friends, and other friends to friends.. etc. Besides, the gun shots are so loud surely other neighbours/animal lovers would have known about! I think your brave actions will save many poor squirrels' lifes.

You can spy away from home until the cops arrive. To be double safe, you may want to take your flyers with you incase he reports on you. In the mean time, the fox urine around his trap could help abit.

Quote Originally Posted by naturelady1
    I'm sorry I have to vent here. Game Laws should apply to this somehow. The world we find ourselves living in is really messed up when it allows someone to trap and kill a critter, deeming it a nuisance, after they've moved into the habitat this animal and its ancestors had known for centuries, and offer shelter in the form of house openings incorrectly sealed and food in the form of bird seed, outside dog dishes, and improperly contained garbage. Animals are opportunists, thats how they survive.

I lose more and more respect for the human species the older I get.
    I share your sentiments. Fact is most humans can be very selfish and can't care less. I hope a restraint law could be passed in a bill or something (hopefully someone from PETA can push for the matter) The other fact that squirrels are still categorised rodents and not protected by animal protection law still bugs me. From where I am, hunting and weaponary isn't allowed. But if someone like Obama can approve some kind of 'squirrel protection restraint order' it would be most perfect given the high numbers from America
    Rally!
    My apologies for getting off topic

what if he ends up setting up a trap in his backyard by the bird feeder?... I am sure squirrels visit his birdfeeder, and if he sees them there, he'll get even angrier, because now it's not just the attic, but the feeder, too..

... still thinking of ways to report him... I honestly don't think they will tell him who reported. And if, as NutmegsMommy suggested, someone just "visited" relatives/friends/whatever in that neighborhood, he won't be able to know anyway, even if the neighborhood is rather small. Someone may not even have to visit relatives, they can simply happen to be in the neighborhood when they saw/heard him shoot (say, they were out for a walk from some nearby neighborhood, for a drive, looking for a house to buy whatever).
    Astra, you can report anonymously. I'm not sure what your wildlife laws are where you are. My neighbor is trapping squirrels too, because they have dug in his vegetable garden too much. He was releasing them, but not so sure any more and we're not talking any more. Not since he said he "got a gun." Threaten my critters and you're dead to me.

He complained to the city that they were getting in my house. Well, it's MY house, NOT his- and no, there aren't any in here now!

I might want to add that this guy has been flashing me for years and just a couple of weeks ago grabbed me - I shrugged him off and have avoided him as much as possible. I was afraid to report it. Afraid that something like this would happen as a result. I guess I knew my customer! Get busted for indecent exposure and squirrels would be the least of his worries!

Angry Re: Neighbor Trapping Squirrels Outside & Killing Them

Oh yeah, and the squirrels he complains about are going in his BACK yard. I feed the squirrels in front, on my porch, facing AWAY from his house. I have a bird feeder in back- can't help it if squirrels raid that!

Angry Re: Neighbor Trapping Squirrels Outside & Killing Them

This is not "surmising", this is making a huge sweeping ungrounded assumption.

1. Quite a few people here have had squirrels in their attics, garages etc. But the way they dealt with that problem was determined by their understanding that squirrels, just like raccoons, rats, skunks and all other animals whom ppl consider pests, have the same right to be here, if not more rights to be here.
    You see, they do not really know that some human build a house and made that spot his/her property, and the trees, on which these squirrels' ancestors lived for ages, ended up on that person's property or next to that person's house. You see, to them those trees are still their trees.

2. The "infestations" of animals are all people's own fault. They dispose of their garbage incorrectly, thus inviting raccoons and rats (especially, eating establishments), they do not properly seal holes, cracks and various openings in their basements, attics, roofs. These examples can be quite long.
    I, personally, often talk to the pest control ppl that come to our work place every month. And they confirm: rat/raccoon/mice/etc infestations are caused by people's irresponsible actions.

3. When a squirrel or a raccoon does end up in one's attic, there is a perfectly humane way of getting rid of them.
    E.g., my landlord often faces squirrels in his attics, and he is not a TSB person. BUT he does admit that it's not squirrels' fault and no animal should be hurt. So, he found an animal removing company, whose owner is a normal guy, too.
    If it is a baby season, he waits for some time, to make sure there are no babies. Then, he installs one-way doors - the animal can leave, but cannot go back.THAT IS IT! END OF PROBLEM! AND NO CREATURE IS HURT!

And if you go to any wildlife removing companies, read their brochures etc, you will be told that after that it is strongly suggested to inspect your attic/basement/whatnot for possible holes and cracks and seal them to avoid future invasions.

But most people are too lazy and too cheap to take responsibility for ensuring the house is animal-proof. It is much easier to kill these innocent vulnerable creatures.

As for the noise... well, it looks like a lot of people don't mind loud music, parties, obnoxious loud neighbors or non-stop working TVs in their homes, but an occasional pitter-patter of a 1lb animal annoys them.

Besides, there is NO WAY that squirrels are CONSTANTLY running and waking you up. During the day they are mostly outside, and at night they are fast asleep. And even when they run occasionally, it is not louder than the TV in your living room.

I, myself, had squirrels living over my head, and I know that they are gone most of the day, like good tenants. Only coming home to sleep, or in bad weather.

But regardless of the sound preferences,
    it is the home owner's responsibility to animal-proof their house.
    And it is a human's moral responsibility to find ways of removing the animal in a humane way, without hurting it. And it is possible!

Humans are the most invasive irresponsible destructive and cruel species!

PS. For your information:

1. squirrels and rats aren't the same. They belong to completely different families: Sciuridae and Muridae respectively.

2. actually, rats are cute, too. But to see that it takes an above average mind.

3. yes, we save rats, too, because EVERY ANIMAL IS PRECIOUS! Regardless of whether one considers it "cute" or not.
    The squirrels around here used to have LOTS of trees to build nests in. More and more got cut down. Then people wonder why they seek other shelter???

I'd rather have squirrels over my head than a lot of people I know!

Cool Re: Neighbor Trapping Squirrels Outside & Killing Them

P.S. Just sort of wondering: what kind of person would want to go through a registration process only to ignorantly, with quite a few typos (or spelling mistakes;-)), go off like that on CHRISTMAS DAY!....hmmm....from what I learned in my psychology classes, there might a few issues to resolve, therapeutically, that is...
    Sounds like something one of my asshat neighbors would do!

Cool Re: Neighbor Trapping Squirrels Outside & Killing Them

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNut
    OMG, why would you come out of your hole on Christmas Day to attack SQUIRRELS on a Board that obviously LOVES them????

I will NEVER understand some people!

IR, thanks for your magnificient and objective "banning" of this individual!

Merry Christmas to ALL the Squirrels in the World and to ALL the People who LOVE them!

I hope that I'm reading correctly, that this asswipe is no longer able to access this board?

vovere Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerMommy
    A sad hello to everyone,

Before you read this story, the only reason have not turned him
    in is because, I have 4 Flyers I rescued from my attic. They are treated
    like royalty, but not legal to keep in my state. My neighbor knows
    I have them, and I don't want to have my little fuzzy buddies taken
    away.

I live in a small subdivision and my next door neighbor is setting a trap outside in his yard catching poor squirrels looking for food, then shooting them. He said a couple of months ago 2 squirrels had gotten in his attic, and he had a hard time getting them out. So now he has waged war on all the squirrels in the neighborhood. I had seen him after he had shoot one a couple of months ago.I told him it was illegal, and if it was a mother all her babies would die to in hopes that he wouldn't do it again. But I found out just a little while ago he was still killing them. My Daughter was taking the dogs out and heard a shot, then saw him taking it to bury.
    I watched him to see where he reset the trap just incase he caught another before dark, so I could set it free. What can I do to keep the squirrels away from the cage trap. I could sometimes sneak over and trip it, but he would know it's me. Is there anything I can pour on the cage that would keep them away from it. They are grey squirrels. Do they only come out during the day?
    Any information or help please. I'm trying to keep a close eye on the trap and help any that may get caught.

Thank You for any Help
    Flyermommy
    It may be illegal interfering with his trapping since he is trying to protect his family from house fires caused by squirrels biting electrical wire in the house. Get a job and let the man protect his family! Get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by vovere
    It may be illegal interfering with his trapping since he is trying to protect his family from house fires caused by squirrels biting electrical wire in the house. Get a job and let the man protect his family! Get a life.
    You are digging up lots of old posts.
    Is there something that we can help you with?

Garden71 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vovere

Wink Re: Neighbor Trapping Squirrels Outside & Killing Them

I do believe the "Stop the 7th Annual Hazzard County Holley New York Squirrel Hunt" has brought many of the floundering squirrel killers out of their dreys... they are and a seek and attack mission everywhere right now (including my own Fbk page).
    No worries, we outnumber them... At over 12000 strong and growing, there are all kinds of 'anti-squirrel' pages popping up on Fbk and people's blogs are being trolled by ogres... but that's ok. Their ignorance only serves to expose them for the cruel people they are, with a lack of not only compassion, but quite obviously intelligence as well.

No worries... Keep that mallet handy, and keep the support up against the squirrel hunt in Holley NY! (Pls sign all 3 petitions )
    Petition to Holley, New York, via Change.org:
    https://www.change.org/petitions/fir...am-on-feb-16th

Petition to Care2 Petition Site:
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/477/0...st/?cid=FB_TAF

Petition to Mayor John W. Kenney Jr., via Change.org:
    https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitio...url_share_afte

for keeping up the good fight
    ."Those who wish to pet and baby wild animals "love" them. But those who respect their natures and wish to let them live normal lives, love them more." ~Edwin Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons, 1953

ME? I'm Squammy to Bonnie, Nissa, Dancer, Lily, Julius, Bossman Todd, KikiTwo and many more... they’ve all taken a piece of my heart with them, back to the trees.
    Loving and caring for squirrels since 2008.

~~~~~~~~ TSB ROCKS!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.