Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lulu

Default Lulu

Lulu is going on 13 weeks of age. I've had her since she was about 4 weeks old. I thought everything was normal physically until I realized that she isn't really growing. The other squirrel she was in with grew so quickly that I had to put Lulu in a cage by herself. Even now, she's very tiny. I was told it could be down syndrome. Things I noticed while raising her are:
    1- she would constantly dehydrate over first couple weeks
    2- I thought several times she had pneumonia
    3- she was pretty under weight and had hard time getting her to gain.
    4- she refused all solid foods; only liked cheerios which she would suckle until they shrank up. She just started "eating" a few days ago.
    5- she has a fuzzy coat instead of slick.
    6- she's very miniature
    7-has the tail of a 5 week old in appearance
    8- she has random tufts of longer hair on tip of tail and upper back legs.
    9- she is pretty good at climbing, etc but does sleep a lot. She sleeps with me on the couch a couple hours a night too.
    Could this actually be down syndrome? She doesn't look like the downs babies from other posts but is it just because she's young? I've never seen a squirrel like her in my life. I absolutely adore her and don't want anything to happen to her. Our exotic vet will only see her if she becomes a "pet" because they don't see wild animals. My rehabber friend doesn't see the need to take her since she's not sick. Any info would be appreciated. I have been on a search for a few weeks and no help yet. I hope I've finally found the right place. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Lulu

Photos would be very helpful.

May I ask what you are giving her for formula?

I have never even seen one of these little cuties, except for folks on here, but a few themes run through all of the stories and might help you. They do remain infantile in look and behavior, so the not weaning is not surprising.

Also, like babies, they have problems thermoregulating. If she was mine, I would have a heating pad set on low available to her when the temps drop much below 70 degrees. So many people that had these little sweeties lost them due to cold in temps you would never suspected would be a problem.

Pics, please. And welcome!

I feed Esbilac puppy. I keep it in the freezer bc I buy the big can. I pre-mix at least 5 hours before I feed it, as well. I do have a small heater left over that I can put on her. However, her body temp is pretty hot. She's very warm in my hand. She loves to play and already bites my husband when he comes around. So, I am pretty stumped as to what her situation is. She is very tiny.
    http://tinypic.com/r/71nw9j/7
    http://tinypic.com/r/k9drao/7
    Ok. Hope I did that right. These were taken when she was 11 weeks old. She is now almost 13 weeks. There isn't much difference except she has a bald spot on back of her head and now she has the tufts of longer hair growing on tip of tail and hind legs...and she's a little fatter. I forgot to add that she is bald on her cheeks (I guess from suckling the cheerios) and her inner arms as well (not completely bald there, just really thin hair). Please let me know what you think. Thanks!
    PS- To compare her actual size, I will say she looks to be about the size of a maybe a 5-6 week old squirrel. I have 4 almost 8 week old babies and they are all bigger than her! In those pics she weighs about 72 grams.

No, a heating pad, like a little baby. Just don't assume that she can stay warm in temps that an average squirrel would be fine in.

OMG, I knew she would be adorable.

Would you consider changing the formula? The Fox Valley 20/50 is producing such gorgeous, furry little babies, and the nutrition is so much closer to what squirrels rather than puppies need.

I hope you get to speak to some people who have had one of these little ones. Sp precious!

Thanks! I can't help but feel the same way! I guess because I raised her.
    I will definitely get the other heating pad out. I just took it off of her maybe a week or so and I was scared but she did really well. I don't want to risk it though. Atleast, until I know what's wrong with her. In comparing symptoms, Down Syndrome does seem very possible...
    I have been terrified about changing formulas but I can surely look into it some more. I like to talk to the manufacturer to ask questions. I always call Esbilac when I get a new can and have them run the lot number to make sure that it's ok on their end. I am so scared of "poisoning" them. I will check it out for sure. If it seems good then I'll get some and try it out. Is that what you use? I've never heard of it.
    Yeah, I really hope I get some help soon from someone that has or had one. I feel desperate for info. I guess I am kind of hoping for someone to tell me that I am insane and that she is just small. I've read a couple stories and they don't seem to live long. That would break my heart. She's so sweet.

OMG....she is so tiny!! Yes, I would suggest switching to FV. I have seen failure to thrive babies switch and do really great! I don't think 'size' is actually one of the signs of downs in squirrels. She is beyond precious! Where are you located, maybe we can get help with another vet?
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Well, I can use that vet but only if she's a pet. Technically she's the property of the rehab center. I'm just fostering. If she is deemed as not releasable, then she'll probably stay with me.
    I thought size was part of it. Hmm. I just can't find much info about it. So, you think if I switch formula, that could help? Any idea where I can get that formula from?

Order the FV either from the manufacturer - www.foxvalleynutrition.com - the phone number is on the site and the owner, Nick, will talk your ear off about his product if you have questions. It can also be ordered from www.henryspets.com (her shipping prices are better and she sells all sorts of other stuff, too). For this little one, I would spend a couple days doing a transition to the new food.

I suppose it could be, but there are other signs as well. And they even 'look' downs in the face/eyes when you see them, I don't see that look in her face. I may be wrong, but I still believe changing her food would be a good idea. I have seen failure to thrive and they are SMALL.
    Mary...

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    Order the FV either from the manufacturer - www.foxvalleynutrition.com - the phone number is on the site and the owner, Nick, will talk your ear off about his product if you have questions. It can also be ordered from www.henryspets.com (her shipping prices are better and she sells all sorts of other stuff, too). For this little one, I would spend a couple days doing a transition to the new food.

Fox Valley also makes a product called Ultra Boost that can be added to the formula - you might want to discuss that with him if you call him.

mugzeezma Guest

Did you mix Multimilk with the Esbilac formula? That's a must!
    squirrels are not puppies. They need more fat.

Order the Fox Valley 32/40 AND the Ultra Boost to get this baby started.
    Nick is old fashioned with his billing so don't let that throw you!

http://www.foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asp

Did you say you had two babies from the same litter?

Jodi had a downs baby, I called her to let her know about this little one, she will be on later. Also pm'd Jackie, too. More heads thinking the better, I always say!
    Mary...

Oh my gosh...I don't know where to start. LOL
    Thank you so much everyone for all the advice. I am going to check out that formula when I get back home this afternoon. I never added anything to the formula, ever. I did not know they needed more fat. I guess all the babies always did so well on just the Esbilac that I thought I was doing enough. No one ever told me they need different. Guess it's a good thing that I found this forum.
    pappy1264- Thanks for putting the word out! Definitely the more help I can get the better. I just don't want to prevent her from having a full life. Thanks!

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu2010
    Oh my gosh...I don't know where to start. LOL
    Thank you so much everyone for all the advice. I am going to check out that formula when I get back home this afternoon. I never added anything to the formula, ever. I did not know they needed more fat. I guess all the babies always did so well on just the Esbilac that I thought I was doing enough. No one ever told me they need different. Guess it's a good thing that I found this forum.
    pappy1264- Thanks for putting the word out! Definitely the more help I can get the better. I just don't want to prevent her from having a full life. Thanks!
    Hey don't feel bad LuLu... I started my first guy on KMR and heavy cream based on what a rehabber had told me!
    The Wildlife center I work at uses all the Pet Ag products and they use the Multimilk with the Esbilac for the squirrlies and possies.
    It's purely my opinion to start your baby on the 32/40 with the Ultra Boost instead of the 20/50 that would normally be used for a baby 4weeks and older. I think she needs a heavy bump to get going.
    I use that for my 12 week olds. They seemed to be lagging on 20/50. They are now both very energetic, sleek and over 420grams

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    Hey don't feel bad LuLu... I started my first guy on KMR and heavy cream based on what a rehabber had told me!
    The Wildlife center I work at uses all the Pet Ag products and they use the Multimilk with the Esbilac for the squirrlies and possies.
    It's purely my opinion to start your baby on the 32/40 with the Ultra Boost instead of the 20/50 that would normally be used for a baby 4weeks and older. I think she needs a heavy bump to get going.
    I use that for my 12 week olds. They seemed to be lagging on 20/50. They are now both very energetic, sleek and over 420grams
    That is very helpful info. I was told by someone to use esbilac. I've told the rehabber what I use and she's never said anything. Well, I'm definitely going to make some changes. How do I transition her to a new food? What is the appropriate amount to feed based on their weight?

Yes, usually 5-7% of their body weight. I have seen the difference in my babies on the FV and I will never use anything else! (Both squirrels and bunnies.) And wait until you smell it....you will want to eat it yourself! lol

You're welcome. She is so precious and I hope others might have some insight to offer.

Normally, you would use the food diluted and work up every two feedings or so (to make sure she doesn't get diarrhea). Also, FV tends to stay with them longer, so you go longer between meals (for example, with Esbilac if you were on every 2 hours, with FV it would be every 3-3 1/2 hours.) Does she drink from a dish at all? Do you offer her yogurt?
    Mary...

I think you are going to like the Fox Valley. It is LESS expensive than the Esbilac; does not need to be mixed hours beforehand, and it is perfectly fine to use alone without the addition of cream. We suggested the booster stuff simply because this baby is so teeny. And it smells like french vanilla!

If introduced correctly, people are not seeing the diarrhea issues that so many have on Esbilac.

I would spend a day or two doing the transition on this little one - each feeding increasing the amount of FV and decreasing the amount of Esbilac until she is converted over.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu2010
    That is very helpful info. I was told by someone to use esbilac. I've told the rehabber what I use and she's never said anything. Well, I'm definitely going to make some changes. How do I transition her to a new food? What is the appropriate amount to feed based on their weight?
    The rule of thumb is 5-7% of their body weight.
    I prefer to feed by how FULL the baby is. While holding the baby up check for roundness at the groin line.
    Change the formula by 25% every other feeding

In other words, mix up both FV and esbilac. Do a couple feedings at 75% esbilac, 25% FV. Then several more at 50/50. Then several more at 75%FV and 25% esbilac. You want to go slowly enough that her tummy doesn't know something happened!

I would also (1) dilute the FV slightly for the initial transition - maybe 2.5 to 1 instead of 2 to 1.

I also would transition to straight FV, and after she does well with that, THEN start adding in the ultra boost, again, a little at a time. Slowly is always best.

mugzeezma Guest

In other words, mix up both FV and esbilac. Do a couple feedings at 75% esbilac, 25% FV. Then several more at 50/50. Then several more at 75%FV and 25% esbilac. You want to go slowly enough that her tummy doesn't know something happened!

I would also (1) dilute the FV slightly for the initial transition - maybe 2.5 to 1 instead of 2 to 1.

I also would transition to straight FV, and after she does well with that, THEN start adding in the ultra boost, again, a little at a time. Slowly is always best.
    that confused ME sorry critter don't mean to step on toes

UltraBoost is a 25/56 heavy cream w/ added nutrients so the 3parts 32/40 and the 1part UB mix transition should be fine.
    I went from straight 20/50 to the high octane blend like this.

I will attempt to decomplicate

Esbilac FV 32/40 w/UB

100%...................0
    75%...................25%
    75%...................25%
    50%...................50%
    50%...................50%
    25%...................75%
    25%...................75%
    0.....................100%

If you see soft white poo cut back the amount.
    Diarrhea, replace one feeding with pedialyte and resume.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast