Thread: red swollen penis

virgo062 Guest

Default red swollen penis

I posted this in the Nursery but I think it may be more serious than I think...
    Little Goober's penis is a bit swollen and red but the problem is it appears to have a tiny scab on the tip.

he is eating but not enough and he urinates only about a q-tip end full.

I'm getting a little worried. I have been keeping neosporin on it but does not seem to be helping

Default Re: red swollen penis

Well, add some hydration between feedings for a bit. You will need to gently soak that scab off - get a cotton ball and some warm water and try to just hold it on there for a while. The softer you get the scab the easier it is to get off without hurting.

Who is nursing on him - a sib or himself?

Kristal Guest

It is probably from him sucking it or one of his littermates sucking it. Mine do it still, sometimes. They do it more when they are hungry, so you could try feeding more. Or it could be just a comfort thing, but that is bad if he is doing it to himself to that extent. It is like a kid sucking his/her thumb, basically.

You can soften the scab enough so that he can pee by holding a warm, wet cotton ball to it for 10 - 15 minutes. Since it is probably from suckling, topical creams are not so good as they will wind up in someones stomach.

virgo062 Guest

I saw his brother sneaking over to him the first day I got them but I though it had stopped...I hate to do it but I may seperate them just until he heals

Kristal Guest

Try feeding more often before you separate them. It may just be hunger. They tend to get miserable alone.

Warm soaks.

Name:  Copy (2) of soakingintub (Small).jpg
Views: 13351
Size:  25.9 KB

can you warm soak a pinkie? or are they to small and fragile?

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by squirrely pearly
    can you warm soak a pinkie? or are they to small and fragile?
    I don't know why you could hold a warm soaked cotton ball on the little fellows. You could even lay them on top of it... on a heating pad?

momma2boo Guest

Try a 2 - 3 inch long (18 inch) strip of fleece and wrap it around his mid section. I have done this to prevent or at least discourage litter mates from nursing on one another.

IMO: I wouldn't soak a pinkie.

hows the little goober today Debbie?

virgo062 Guest

Little Goob is much better...The redness ans swelling has gone down. he still has the scab I've not been able to get it off yet. he is eating very good and peeing just a little bit at a time. But I caught HIm nursing off his brother . I think we are going to feed them a little more often to see if that helps. They may just be little suckers
    tinfoil There's that darn Tin man again

aww sweet little babies..are they growing??! I am so excited to see them grow, and are they getting any fuzz yet? probably to young. you're doing terrific with them!!!

virgo062 Guest

They are starten to darken up...No fuzz yet. When I cut the light on and talk to them they start moving around because they know it's time to eat and that's what they do best....Besides sucking I caught Big Goob latched on to little Goob and he has a suction cup on the little fellow

Buy a couple pairs of baby socks and make some onesies for these little suckers! Holes for arms and legs (and tailio).

virgo062 Guest

OMG....That's a awesome idea

Quote Originally Posted by virgo062
    OMG....That's a awesome idea

And for God's sake, take pics!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.