Thread: %-6 week old baby

Default %-6 week old baby

Well, it's been a long time since i've been on and a lot has happened in the year since I lost my Buggy, I've moved into a much bigger house and just a couple weeks ago I decided to open my home up to a baby squirrel again, and surprise surpirse, I got 4. They all came from a family friend and 3 are perfectly healthy. The fourth is a little small, but since I dont know his exact age, he may just be a little younger than the others, he's sniffling, and i figured he'd aspirated something, but i turn him upside down and nothing comes out, my gut tells me somethings wrong, but i don't know what to do.. he is fully furred and eyes are open, he drinks formula well (liquid esbilac)and even nibbles soft fruit, he was making these noises when i got him last night and i've been trying my hardest to get them to go away, he's not loud, just this weird little sniffling noise and sometimes he rubs his nose like it itches, not obsessive or anything just once in a while, and he seems to crave contact, if i leave the room he squeaks for me, and it's loud, and he won't take a nap with everybody else, i thought he was still hungry so i gave him more formula and he took it I also put a fake tree branch (small) for him to climb on because i thought he might be bored.. any ideas?
    What's a little poop in your hair between friends?

Default Re: %-6 week old baby

Do you hear any clicking sounds when he breathes?

Also, youll want to order some Fox Valley formula to replace the Esbilac. They reformulated the Esbilac and the squirrels cant digest/process it properly and its been contributed to causing a lot of health problems and even deaths in rehab babies.
    A 100% Survival Rate is Impossible, but Making Sure 100% of Our Little Babies are Loved is Guaranteed

"...I Love Not Man The Less, But Nature More." - Robert Frost

"When Life Leaves Us Blind... LOVE keeps us kind" -Linkin Park

Mars Guest

First I would guess he fell. The noises may be coming from the nose from hitting his head. I would offer him a heat source and if he needs being held I have let them nap in a sack in my shirt next to my heart. Sometimes they just need a little bit more attention.

Check also for dehydration. And check the notes we have on the board about Esbilac. They changed the formula causes problems for our babies.

Hope this helps
    Mars

He didn't fall, he was removed from a tree before it was cut down, and yes i got the notes on esbilac, until i can order some FV, i've switched them to goats milk..

and no clicking noises, he just sniffles once in a while, almost like a pig snorting, i'm begining to suspect it means he's hungry..

the sounds seem to have stopped, and he's got tons of energy ( as I type, he's on my head) so i think this may have been a false alarm, but thanks for all the help....

Be sure to keep an eye on that....It may turn out to be an Upper Respiratory Infection which means the squirrel will need to be put on ABs. Maybe you should start them just to be safe? Input from other rehabbers would be very welcome here...?
    A 100% Survival Rate is Impossible, but Making Sure 100% of Our Little Babies are Loved is Guaranteed

Quote Originally Posted by kellymarie324
    the sounds seem to have stopped, and he's got tons of energy ( as I type, he's on my head) so i think this may have been a false alarm, but thanks for all the help....
    good to hear and no problem - but still keep an eye out for URI - Im glad to hear hes doing better