Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rescued baby squirrel doesn't move back legs

Default Re: rescued baby squirrel doesn't move back legs

When you get the new formula, do this to introduce it. Mix it up a bit weaker than suggested - 2.5 parts water to 1 part powder (full strength is 2 to 1), and also mix up what he has been eating. Blend 75% old formula and 35% fox valley. At the next feeding, do 50/50 and so on. Once you have him on all Fox Valley and you are getting normal poops, take him to the full strength 2:1 formual.

Hi and thank you soooo much for taking on a huge responsibility. I had a paralyzed little boy some years back. He ate like a champ, peed and pooped and could do the squirrel drag just fine. I'm not a rehabber YET but here's what happened to my boy. His back legs began to atrophy--just got stiff and fixed in one position. I should have given him physical therapy--didn't know any better. As he got older his pee became stronger and tended to gall him if I wasn't scrupulous in cleaning him--and I did put Desitin (diaper ointment) in the creases and on the skin where he peed. It helped a lot cause just like babies can get diaper rashes, a paralyzed person or squirrel can get burned if urine stays on the skin. Finally--I lost my sweetie because I made the mistake of taking him outside (where he wanted to be) in my arms and he jumped off and hauled his little body under a shed and through a fence. I couldn't find him. I looked for WEEKS and left food and water for him for a month. I never knew what happened to my baby. Even a paralyzed squirrel is a squirrel and instincts work just fine. I'm glad he found you--and you found him. good luck with your little blessing.

Isa, I also has to wash my Scooter frequently because of him soiling himself. I found that if I didn't wash the pee off, he would try to groom it off himself, which caused some problems. Since he couldn't feel his legs, he sometimes groomed too aggressively and not only licked off his fur, but licked his skin raw. When that happened, I rubbed a little Neosporin on the area which would heal things up very quickly.

Dragging sores are also a concern, as you're finding out. Crittermom suggested that I place him on a very silky smooth surface to help with that. I bought some rabbit fur pelts off of eBay, and man, he LOVED those, but I found out pretty quickly that they wouldn't work because the fur wasn't washable. What I ended up doing was putting the fur underneath the T-shirts I was using as bedding. It made a super plush cozy bed, and the tees on top kept the urine from soiling the fur.

My guy would also hide all the time, but that's their instinct. He would come out if I offered him treats. He trusted me completely, but being a ground squirrel, he needed a burrow to feel safe. I went to the hardware store and bought some large diameter PVC pipe, then glued towels to the inside so he had something to grab onto to drag himself. He would become visibly frustrated on any smooth surface because he couldn't "walk," so I had to line everything with a towel or piece of fabric.

It IS a lot of work, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I do believe as you said, there is a reason that our paths cross. I hope you'll post some pictures of him when you get a chance.

Here is the memorial thread I made for my little guy:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...882#post546882

Best of luck to you. Does he have a name yet? Once he has a name, then he's your baby. No turning back.

Finally--I lost my sweetie because I made the mistake of taking him outside (where he wanted to be) in my arms and he jumped off and hauled his little body under a shed and through a fence. I couldn't find him.
    Yikes. I'm so sorry that you lost your baby that way. One thing that I discovered very quickly is that paralysis does NOT slow them down. They can drag themselves as fast as lightning. I would try to give my guy exercise time by placing him on a large rug in the spare room where I kept him. He would drag himself around so fast that I had a very hard time catching him. Never put one down on the carpet unsupervised because they will go go go.

What you want to get for these little guys is microfiber fleece. You can buy it in yardage at JoAnnes but it is a lot less expensive if you go to a store like TJ Maxx or Marshalls or the like and look at the lap throws. Most are made from that stuff and it is less expensive to buy it that way than as yardage. It can be sewed to be covers for little ramps and for the cage bottom. It has the same slick texture that doesnt cause rubbing as fur does but you can toss it in the washer! They are as soft as a cloud!

I got some microfleece blankets at Big Lots for super cheap, something like $4 a blanket. I bought a ton of them. My Chihuahua likes to sleep on them, as well as the cats. You can throw them in the wash over and over. I cut one of my older ones up for my little squirrely and he loved him. He seemed to prefer everything cut up, so he could make his own snuggly nest.

Hi. As you have been told, a paralized squirrel can be a lot of trouble. But they can be wonderful, too. One of your big problems is going to be that LA is an illegal state - it will be hard, if not impossible, to find vet care for him. If you decide to place him with a rehabber, I would love to take him. I have had several NR squirrels, including 2 paralized ones. Right now I have 1 paralized and 2 neuro squirrels, so I am used to caring for them. And I am not far at all from you - just across the LA/TX border. If I can help in any way, PM me, and I will be glad to do whatever I can. I can also help with tips on how to fix up his cage, if you decide to keep him.

muffinsquirrel
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by muffinsquirrel
    Hi. As you have been told, a paralized squirrel can be a lot of trouble. But they can be wonderful, too. One of your big problems is going to be that LA is an illegal state - it will be hard, if not impossible, to find vet care for him. If you decide to place him with a rehabber, I would love to take him. I have had several NR squirrels, including 2 paralized ones. Right now I have 1 paralized and 2 neuro squirrels, so I am used to caring for them. And I am not far at all from you - just across the LA/TX border. If I can help in any way, PM me, and I will be glad to do whatever I can. I can also help with tips on how to fix up his cage, if you decide to keep him.

muffinsquirrel

that is brilliant muffinsquirrel.....

I know that she's keeping him cause she said so in the above post

but .... maybe if she needs to she could use your vet and you as the foster mom etc.... because your vet in order to treat the squirrel (if he ever needs help) will need to be told for their sakes that the squirrel belongs to you and is a texan squirrel....

then she can just take him home when the appointment is over....

that is so wonderful Isa!!! i'm so excited.... even though LA is an illegal state you are still close enough to a wonderful rehabber and have access to a good vet....

and i'm so glad that you are keeping him, i think you are already in love

Psychobird: I don't know why i think 'everyone' recommends that the 32/40 is used all the way to weaning .... maybe that's a question for ir or jackie or 4swkerlz? but maybe it doesn't apply to you since you are very experienced already....

maybe i'll start a thread....on that one....

great advice crittermom that was the best explanation of how to transition over a baby from one formula to the other....now i get it!!! thank you....

chickenlegs.... great advice....about the neosporin and care of a paralyzed squirrel and also the idea that they need therapy on their unused muscles.... wow.. and ...who'd think that a paralyzed squirrel is fast enough to escape and hear the call of the wild....

poozybear/kathy scooter was sooooo adorable... omg.... I remember him.... also great advice ... your experience really helps others.... those tunnels sound wonderful....

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

muffinsquirrel
    You and I need to talk sister!!! Jude is my first "special" guy. I would love to get some advice and tips on how to better take care of his needs!!
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

muffinsquirrel
    thanks so much for the advice. we've sent you a PM.

Name:  squirrel2.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  41.2 KB

Aw. He can hold onto that syringe pretty good, can't he!!

Name:  IMG_2045.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  918.2 KB

that is what his right rear leg does sometimes. completely limp.

He's just precious. Interesting that the one leg rests forward like that. My paralyzed baby always dragged his legs behind him. When he slept at night, he managed to curl up, almost like normal. Maybe he was somehow able to shift himself into a comfortable position. He adapted very quickly to not having the use of those two legs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12