Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is pox in a grey contagious to flyers?

Default Re: is pox in a grey contagious to flyers?

i know the echanacia is probably safe, chris from chrs's squirrels n more recommended dmg to boost thier immune system
    our concern is throwing an antiviral drug on top of everything they are on might just be too much for their little livers, would love to hear more feedback on it.
    i can also check with my vet or tufts on tuesday to see what they think

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by psychobird
    i know the echanacia is probably safe, chris from chrs's squirrels n more recommended dmg to boost thier immune system
    our concern is throwing an antiviral drug on top of everything they are on might just be too much for their little livers, would love to hear more feedback on it.
    i can also check with my vet or tufts on tuesday to see what they think
    Sounds like a lot of meds. You would need to find out if there was any interaction as well.
    When my son developed cellulitis from dog bite he was on 3 broad spectrum ABs IV for 6 days. That was to cover any and all types of bacteria present to prevent recurrence.
    It's my understanding that Coccidia can be tough to get rid of the first round. Is that what pairing the 2 Sulfas is about?

That baby has been exposed to POX! Now Time will tell if it shows up. The stress from the coccidia is enoughs stress to lower their immune system. Babies suck on each other. The saliva and the liquid from the blisters will spread this to. Is any of them showing sines? Blisters bumps, swollen toes ,eyes, Genital area, or bumps on the tail.? If on the toes. Look for starting to turn red and a little swelling. Look at the whiskers on their little legs. Their will be little bumps then it will turn into a group of blisters. I know that Baytril is what Jackie and others recommend to treat for secondary infection. My little wons are only Scyclovir, and Echinacea water. That I mix up to make the formula. You need to give the Scyclovier 2 times a day after they eat. Within 1 week all blisters are drying and or gone. The eyes just started opening today. Pappy You have my number Call me if you need. Jackie is the one who helped me with the doses. Thank You Jackie. Can you post pictures of the pox baby? Are you sure the one baby had POX? You should see some kine of changes within 7 to 10 days. That is how long it took my outside Squirrels to start showing sines, After exposer.

I have had little Sammy since last Thurs. The little guy Jodi had did not have any swelling until Thursday night (so it was a week after my guy came to me). None of mine have swelling of any kind (keeping super close eye out for any). I will get the Echineachia (don't know if I spelled that right...I just got home from the ER with my 9 yo daughter. She fell off her skateboard today and she has a fracture to the growth plate in her ankle. We have to see the ortho doc next week...FUN...NOT!) I will do whatever I have to do to help these guys. And the little guy Jodi had had swelling, no blister. The vet drained fluid out of it.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

yes he drained fluid from the lesion and looked at it under a scope and it had those nasty pox cells in it.

It wasn't blistered, though, right?
    Mary...

at first it just looked swollen (i was praying it was an injury) but then it started to look like a tumor or cyst one on the top of his wrist and one on the bottom, they hadn't opened up yet though

Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264
    I have had little Sammy since last Thurs. The little guy Jodi had did not have any swelling until Thursday night (so it was a week after my guy came to me). None of mine have swelling of any kind (keeping super close eye out for any). I will get the Echineachia (don't know if I spelled that right...I just got home from the ER with my 9 yo daughter. She fell off her skateboard today and she has a fracture to the growth plate in her ankle. We have to see the ortho doc next week...FUN...NOT!) I will do whatever I have to do to help these guys. And the little guy Jodi had had swelling, no blister. The vet drained fluid out of it.
    Marry still he was exposed. I know Jackie has had them on Baytrill and Scyclovir. I would hold off till you see some kind of sines or something. I would start them on Echinacea /mix with water. Even the out side Squirrels that come to your and Jodi's house. Have you talked to Jackie yet? Pappy I say blisters because my 2 week old babies that cough Pox it looked like that. Then it will turns and swells like a cyst. Rocki Just looked like a eye infection with a little swelling around the eye. Then this large cyst looking bump pop up. It starts with swelling and a bump. So fair that is what I have observed. Hope your little wons don't get a bad case.
    PS Got to the Gray Squirrel and look up Raising Miss Rocki. Go to the end and look back word. If you come across a picture about my sons wedding. Rockie and the Pox picture will be around that. We took pictures of her when it looked like a eye infection. She had just contracted POX!!!

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

I used Shaklees Nutriferon as a immune booster..but it ain't chaep!
    In a normal situation I would use ONLY SMZ-TMP for the diarreha..., if after 3 days on it and you see no improvement, switch to the flagyl...
    Process of elimination!

But since pox is suspected...stop all meds and use baytril...
    it will kick ass and clean up any issue, it is the big dog!
    POX always leads to pnuemonia, either viral or bacterial...so if you use the recommended meds...you are covering both types...
    Baytril for secondary infections, IE pnuemonia and lesion madness...and the acyclovir for the pox virus and the chance of viral puemonia...
    also the baytril will rip the butt outta any parasites..and kick the butt off the mange ..
    STRESS Causes all these issues...
    so no stress...no kids, no noise, no other pets, no junk food, warmth is a must...add heat, pox will dibilitate and the sqs cannot maintain body temps...quiet and calm please.... no new faces etc, no trauma...

Pox, keep everrything super clean, using 10% bleach solution...wash all bedding daily, spray all base boards with Adams flea spray...
    do not share anything with other sqs, no matter what breed they are.
    No seeds no corn no junk...
    NO STRESS!!!!!
    NO IVERMECTIN>>>>
    Pm me your email address and I will send the backyard summary that we put together with tid bits of info that we found helpful..
    {tY BsMom, I miss having a secretary }
    REMEMBER THE WHOLE CRISIS WAS STARTED DUE TO STRESS IN THE WILD...SO THE BEST ADVISE CAN GIVE IS AGAIN, NO STRESS.

Lesions usually start on the ears and eyes, digits and butt...

Having the meds on hand just in case is key...
    the three main meds are
    acyclovir
    baytril
    metacam
    other wonderful meds that maybe used are
    eye ointments with ABs
    Nystop powder for gooey lesions
    nystatin ointment for dry lesions
    betadine for lesion washes
    baking soda for bathing
    scabs that fall off must be flushed, they are contageous too.

you may need alot of firstaide supplies, q tips guaze etc for cleaning sq, they get very stinky gooey...
    a single loving care giver is best

I am sending good vibes...

Wait, my head is spinning! Ok, we are treating for coccidia (that I KNOW we had here, via little Sammy.) Do I stop all the meds even with the coccidia? Will the baytril cover them for that? Isn't it not a good idea to stop a med before a full treatment? I have not seen any signs so far, do I still act as if they have it? I mean, is it a definite they do/will?
    Mary...

mugzeezma Guest

Wait, my head is spinning! Ok, we are treating for coccidia (that I KNOW we had here, via little Sammy.) Do I stop all the meds even with the coccidia? Will the baytril cover them for that? Isn't it not a good idea to stop a med before a full treatment? I have not seen any signs so far, do I still act as if they have it? I mean, is it a definite they do/will?
    With all due respect to Pbird and Jackie...you are all wonderful, don't forget that, you are in the drivers seat. You Pappy also have experience so do what your gut says is right. IMO dropping the meds for Coccidia will allow reoccurrence thereby adding stress. Handle the babies ONLY WHEN NECESSARY. always under quiet conditions. Since these are all releases and have friends to snuggle they don't need the contact.
    All the fabulous advise here is for worst case scenario.

I think you answered you question already

I wish for you great success...sometimes no matter how hard you try you just can't win the game...just remember that it's all about how you play

mugzeezma Guest

...and to answer the big question?
    according to Jackie flyers DO get pox. Can They get the same strain as the greys? I have read nothing to that effect. Personally I would be watch and wait since exposure MAY have occurred.

more good vibes tinfoil to you and all of your fuzzies

They are in enclosed areas, but still in teh same room. So all my flyers could be at risk being in the same room?

Thank you. It is a lot of info to get through. So far, no one is showing any signs of it (Pox), so I am imagining that is good. Does anyone know how long before no signs I can feel safely they will be ok? I mean, is there a time table before I 'should' see it?
    Mary...

sorry I should have been more clear...
    No, I would not start pox treatment until you see something that COULd be and then evaluate.
    But for cocchidia, I would treat with SMZ-TMP unless albon works for you.. Hoping you are virus free.

They have been on both Sulfatrim and Albon (although stopped the Sulfatrim last night. Will be on Albon one more week. Also on Flagyl and Kaopectate.)

Any idea how long of a window before I can assume they will be ok? I will be getting the echinacea to help support their immune systems, at the very least. They look good, are eating great, poops still not great but at least it no longer smells! So I believe we are moving in the right direction. I have never been through any of this *(guess I have been blessed to just have healthy orphans.) I appreciate all help to help me and my babies!
    Mary...

mugzeezma Guest

They are in enclosed areas, but still in teh same room. So all my flyers could be at risk being in the same room?

Thank you. It is a lot of info to get through. So far, no one is showing any signs of it (Pox), so I am imagining that is good. Does anyone know how long before no signs I can feel safely they will be ok? I mean, is there a time table before I 'should' see it?
    Pox is not transmitted by air. It is transmitted by biting insects or by direct contact with lesions. Wash anything before it is shared including hands. Perhaps wear a smock or over shirt and gloves when handling the sick. It is my understanding that the virus can be carried without symptoms.
    According to the article I sent 1-2 weeks before fibromas or lumps appear.
    The virus is shed from the sores so careful hygiene is important to prevent the spread.

"The pathogenesis occurs as with other pox viruses: after invading the skin, multiplication begins in the regional lymph nodes within 24 hours, and the virus enters the blood stream (primary viremia) by the second day. The virus then multiplies in the spleen and liver and re-enters the blood stream (secondary viremia) at about day 5 to 6 post- exposure. Focal lesions first appear as fibromas in the skin, the target organ, after only 7 to 13 days ....metastasis to multiple skin nodules occurs over the next 14 to 33 days......The virus may be shed from the ulcerated skin papules to the environment as early as 10 to 12 days following the initial infection (2).
    Lesions."

Thank you MugzeezMa
    Pappy Start the Echinacea immediately!! Get that immune systems going into overdrive!
    Maybe Nothing will show up. Like I said Give the Echinacea water (TEA) To all your Squirrels. It will not hurt the gliders ether. I would start adding Echinacea water to the out side squirrels. Pappy I am praying You have a good out come with this problem. :

That makes me feel better. Little Bug (the one that had the pox) didn't have any lumps until a week after he and Sammy were together and even then, it was a lump, had not blistered yet. So does that make it less likely Sammy, and hence my guys, was exposed?

I will get the echinecea today (I know I keep speeling that wrong...lol) and start everyone on it, to try to cover the bases as much as I can. I am watching all my guys like hawks, and so far, so good.

Thanks again, guys. I love the little buggers, it has been so awful thinking of something happening to them!
    Mary...

just a heads up...BLISTERS???
    I have never seen anything that resembles blisters in any pox case...
    glad everything looks good Pappy

mugzeezma Guest

That makes me feel better. Little Bug (the one that had the pox) didn't have any lumps until a week after he and Sammy were together and even then, it was a lump, had not blistered yet. So does that make it less likely Sammy, and hence my guys, was exposed?

I will get the echinecea today (I know I keep speeling that wrong...lol) and start everyone on it, to try to cover the bases as much as I can. I am watching all my guys like hawks, and so far, so good.

Thanks again, guys. I love the little buggers, it has been so awful thinking of something happening to them!
    Less likely ... I would still keep them quarantined in case of any mosquito or flea transmission ... You might want to get flea powder or the like...cover all your bases.

I really hope and pray this nasty virus goes nowhere Pap

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast