Thread: Thinking of raising that baby yourslf?

Hybrid View

Default Thinking of raising that baby yourslf?

You've found a baby squirrel, and you've found The Squirrel Board.
    You're here in the Emergency Forum and you've read a little bit about how to keep the baby alive. Maybe you've warmed the baby up and he's starting to get active and nuzzle your hand. Maybe you've tried a little warm Pedialyte and he loved it and he looks so cute while he's slurping that syringe and when he's all curled up in a ball. And you figure, smart person that you are, that you're doing so well, it can't be THAT hard to raise this baby yourself.......

Yes, it can.

Please ask yourself the following questions:

• Are you prepared to go out NOW and find goat's milk to start him on formula, followed by Fox Valley Squirrel formula that can only be ordered ON LINE and costs upwards of $11 per canister?
    • Are you prepared to go wherever you have to go, NOW, to get a 1cc syringe to feed this baby properly without aspirating him?
    • Are you prepared starting right NOW to feed this baby as frequently as required by its age and condition, including getting up in the middle of the night?
    • Are you prepared to use, or go out and buy NOW, a heating pad without the automatic shut-off feature? It is an absolute MUST for baby squirrels. Other heat sources will not be adequate and the baby will die.

• When your baby starts "clicking" and becomes lethargic because he accidentally inhaled a bit of formula, will you be able to get prescription-only antibiotics within the next 2 hours to save its life? There are no "OTC antibiotics" available in the USA that can be used for wildlife!

• Are you prepared, LATER ON as the squirrel grows, to buy or build a series of appropriate cages for the animal's age, to buy expensive fresh produce which the squirrel requires for good health, to seek out skilled veterinary help even if you are in an "illegal state", and to learn how to "soft release" the squirrel in an appropriate release site so it will have a chance to survive in the wild?

• Are you prepared to resist ALL temptation to "introduce" the squirrel to your household pets, thereby giving the squirrel the delusion that cats and dogs will not kill him when he is out in the wild? Are you prepared to keep the squirrel and the pets separate for the entire life of the squirrel?

If you have answered NO to even one of these questions, you need to contact a qualified wildlife rehabilitator and we will help you do that.....
    NOW.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 04-28-2014 at 12:53 PM.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Squeekhart (01-23-2017)

Default Re: THINKING OF RAISING THAT BABY YOURSELF?

BUMP
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

BUMP
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Thought this might be appropriate here

"IF THEY COULD SPEAK"

The ABC's of Orphaned Wild Animals

A - Acceptance -

Accept my nature. I was not bred to fetch for you, to amuse you when you feel bored. I was not born to impress your friends, to learn tricks to entertain you or to guard your house against intruders. I was born wild, I was born free. I was created to run through the forest and live with my kind. I kick, I scratch, I bite in order to survive. I chew and destroy, not because it pleases me to do so but because I am wild, as is my heart.

I am not a family pet.

If you are searching for a companion devoted to you and your family please PLEASE seek out those that are crying for you to do so. They can be found by the thousands in shelters across this nation, waiting and hoping for someone to give them a home.

I have one and it is called the forest.

B - Basic Needs -

I am a baby and you must place my needs above your own. I require regular meals of specialized foods. I can not be adjusted to your schedule and will not survive if you try.

Like every living baby, human or otherwise, I am selfish. I do not understand how inconvenient I am nor do I care. I know only when I am hungry, when I am in pain, when I have discomfort or when I am cold. If I was with my mother she would provide for me, but I have none and am now relying on you to take her place.

In return for all of your sacrifice you will not be thanked, No medals shall be awarded to you, no libraries shall be open in your name and no plaques shall be placed in memory of your hard work and devotion.

Your only reward will be to see me live as I was meant to live.

C - Compassion -

I know you have a good heart, for you took me in when I was in need and you gave me comfort and a chance at life. Do not deny it to me now. Life in a cage is not living, it is existing and I shall never know freedom unless you let me.

You have accepted responsibility for my life and that may mean asking for help and accepting that you may not be able to provide the care that I require. There is no shame in this. The only shame is allowing me to suffer because of pride or greed or indifference.

I ask this of you, expand your compassion enough to let me go if you cannot and support the work of those that can through donations of food, medicine, money and time and assist in awareness campaigns.

Your support may mean the difference between life and death of not only myself but of a multitude of my wild brothers and sisters.

Accept my nature, provide for my needs and show me and mine compassion and I shall always be yours in your heart for you will know that you have done a worthy thing.

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to mousehole:

island rehabber (01-03-2017), Squeekhart (01-23-2017), stepnstone (01-04-2017)

BUMP!!!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Default Re: Thinking of raising that baby yourslf?

BUMP!!!

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

BUMP!!

It's baby season again in most parts of the northern USA...
    Please please please, let us help you find an experienced wildlife rehabilitator. The little one(s) you found deserve their BEST chance at survival, in experienced hands!

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

KarmaKay (01-03-2017)

BUMP!

Recent events, and the fact that baby season is around the corner in many parts of the USA, makes this a great time to re-visit this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    You've found a baby squirrel, and you've found The Squirrel Board.
    You're here in the Emergency Forum and you've read a little bit about how to keep the baby alive. Maybe you've warmed the baby up and he's starting to get active and nuzzle your hand. Maybe you've tried a little warm Pedialyte and he loved it and he looks so cute while he's slurping that syringe and when he's all curled up in a ball. And you figure, smart person that you are, that you're doing so well, it can't be THAT hard to raise this baby yourself.......

Yes, it can.

Please ask yourself the following questions:

• Are you prepared to go out NOW and find goat's milk to start him on formula, followed by Fox Valley Squirrel formula that can only be ordered ON LINE and costs upwards of $11 per canister OR Esbilac Puppy Powder which costs upward of $25 per canister?
    • Are you prepared to go wherever you have to go, NOW, to get a 1cc syringe to feed this baby properly without aspirating him?
    • Are you prepared starting right NOW to feed this baby as frequently as required by its age and condition, including getting up in the middle of the night?
    • Are you prepared to use, or go out and buy NOW, a heating pad without the automatic shut-off feature? It is an absolute MUST for baby squirrels. Other heat sources will not be adequate and the baby will die.

• When your baby starts "clicking" and becomes lethargic because he accidentally inhaled a bit of formula, will you be able to get prescription-only antibiotics within the next 2 hours to save its life? There are no "OTC antibiotics" available in the USA that can be used for wildlife!

• Are you prepared, LATER ON as the squirrel grows, to buy or build a series of appropriate cages for the animal's age, to buy expensive fresh produce which the squirrel requires for good health, to seek out skilled veterinary help even if you are in an "illegal state", and to learn how to "soft release" the squirrel in an appropriate release site so it will have a chance to survive in the wild?

• Are you prepared to resist ALL temptation to "introduce" the squirrel to your household pets, thereby giving the squirrel the delusion that cats and dogs will not kill him when he is out in the wild? Are you prepared to keep the squirrel and the pets separate for the entire life of the squirrel?

If you have answered NO to even one of these questions, you need to contact a qualified wildlife rehabilitator and we will help you do that.....
    NOW.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

12. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Grinderhead (01-03-2017), KarmaKay (01-03-2017), lukaslolamaus (01-03-2017), Nancy in New York (01-03-2017), Spanky (01-03-2017), stepnstone (01-04-2017), TubeDriver (01-03-2017)