Thread: Antibiotic dosage

Default Antibiotic dosage

One of my three babies has started acting sick this morning. He will not eat (except a tiny bit of peanutbutter and sugar water) and has suddenly stopped being active. I am concerned about possible pneumonia- he was sneezing some this morning. He has been eating well and has been active for a while up to this point, has been otherwise healthy and nourished with formula and some veggies (Lettuce, Carrots, a bit of avocado). Weight is 242g, about 8-9 weeks old. I have clavamox 125 mg that is old. I am going out to try and find baytril or some other squirrel safe antibiotic. I have no idea how to calculate dosage. Anyone able to point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Antibiotic dosage

Quote Originally Posted by Curtlawyer View Post
    One of my three babies has started acting sick this morning. He will not eat (except a tiny bit of peanutbutter and sugar water) and has suddenly stopped being active. I am concerned about possible pneumonia- he was sneezing some this morning. He has been eating well and has been active for a while up to this point, has been otherwise healthy and nourished with formula and some veggies (Lettuce, Carrots, a bit of avocado). Weight is 242g, about 8-9 weeks old. I have clavamox 125 mg that is old. I am going out to try and find baytril or some other squirrel safe antibiotic. I have no idea how to calculate dosage. Anyone able to point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Does he "click" with every breath?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Does he "click" with every breath?
    No. I listened for clicking. It's not there. He was out of his cage a while yesterday, and got soaked with water, may have eaten dirt a little, not certain, before I got it away from him.

Does not sound like pneumonia.

I worry that maybe there was something in the dirt that did not agree with him. Any chance he ate / nibbled / sampled anything else while out of his cage? Has there been any recent changes in his diet... better yet, sharing his entire diet may prove extremely helpful.

Esbilac, heavy cream, Greek yogurt, goat milk, water and Karo syrup make up the formula. Also eats romaine lettuce, carrots, Greenbean, avocado, watermelon, an occasional nut, with all-you-can-eat rodent blocks.

Esbilac, heavy cream, Greek yogurt, goat milk, water and Karo syrup make up the formula.
    This is so unnecessary, why?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Is the Esbilac the powdered puppy formula?

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    This is so unnecessary, why?
    Just curious why it's unnecessary? Not trying to be mean, truly curious because my little one would not eat Esbilac until I added the other, minus the karo and now he is thriving. Should I try just plain Esbilac again? Sorry for taking over a post with my question.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ScrappyDo from:

Curtlawyer (04-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Is the Esbilac the powdered puppy formula?
    Yes, powdered with probiotocs.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Curtlawyer from:

Nancy in New York (04-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyDo View Post
    Just curious why it's unnecessary? Not trying to be mean, truly curious because my little one would not eat Esbilac until I added the other, minus the karo and now he is thriving. Should I try just plain Esbilac again? Sorry for taking over a post with my question.
    I found the same thing. One liked the goatmilk, the other two were ok with the esbilac, so mixing it means I dont need two different formulas in the fridge.

I found the same thing. One liked the goatmilk, the other two were ok with the esbilac, so mixing it means I dont need two different formulas in the fridge.
    It's not the mixing of Esbilac and Goats milk I question, there are several that are having to do that
    as well as Esbilac and FV to get some babies to feed. I'm just questioning why you feel the heavy cream,
    Greek yogurt, and Karo syrup added to the formula is necessary.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

I would drop the Karo syrup but keep the other ingredients in a 50/50 mix Esbilac to Goats milk formula. This year for the first time I (and many others) have had even emaciated babies and pinkies refuse Esbilac alone. I don't know why, but when I mixed the 2 formulas the babies grabbed on to the syringe and wouldn't let go. My babies are thriving on the 50/50 mix. I have used this mix in past years and found my babies to do well on this mix. Some rehabbers feed the goats milk formula from pinkie to release.
    Scrappy, I wouldn't even think of taking that baby boy off of this mix. Is he doing good on this mixed formula? If so, don't "rock the boat".

Step, I usually add the cream in for older babies. I think the older babies need more fat than the 50/50 mix provides.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to UDoWhat from:

Milo's Mom (04-20-2017)

It's not the mixing of Esbilac and Goats milk I question, there are several that are having to do that
    as well as Esbilac and FV to get some babies to feed. I'm just questioning why you feel the heavy cream,
    Greek yogurt, and Karo syrup
    added to the formula is necessary.
    Just to clarify....
    I personally did not suggest stopping it, I only question the 3 mixed
    with it that just seems like over kill and unnecessary to me.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Just to clarify....
    I personally did not suggest stopping it, I only question the 3 mixed
    with it that just seems like over kill and unnecessary to me.
    I was told that the yogurt provided probiotics that would be helpful to digestion, and they were originally slow to gain weight, so the heavy cream was to help with the calorie content. Perhaps the esbilac and the yogurt are duplicitive, but at this point, they are used to the taste of the combination.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Curtlawyer from:

stepnstone (04-20-2017)

I was told that the yogurt provided probiotics that would be helpful to digestion, and they were originally slow to gain weight, so the heavy cream was to help with the calorie content. Perhaps the esbilac and the yogurt are duplicitive, but at this point, they are used to the taste of the combination.
    Thank you for an answer, it actually makes sense.
    What is/was the karo syrup about!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Thank you for an answer, it actually makes sense.
    What is/was the karo syrup about!
    The first thing I ever fed a squirrel was goatmilk, water, and a spoonful of karo syrup to help them poo. I guess I left it in for a little added sweetness.

FWIW, the little fellow must have eaten something bad, he was doing fine by the end of the day.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Curtlawyer from:

stepnstone (04-20-2017)