Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want help obtaining rehab license/permit in Virginia.

Question Want help obtaining rehab license/permit in Virginia.

I'm new here and not entirely sure where I should post this. I'm from Virginia, where keeping most wildlife is illegal without the proper permits or licenses. I'm interested in finding a rehabber close to me so that I might volunteer under them and eventually get my own license.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 02-22-2007 at 09:58 PM.

Default Re: Want help obtaining rehab license/permit in Virginia.

Sadiesmom I just posted a link on your first question.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...23568post23568

Pa. licenced Rehabber

I appreciate the link, however I've already tried contacting a few of those people before. I think I might try again, though. Won't hurt anything!

Other information/resources/contacts are still appreciated. I'm adamant on this!
    “Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You become responsible forever for what you have tamed."
    -Antoine de Saint Exupery

Gabe Guest

I have a friend that is a rehabber in Virginia, it is very difficult to find rehabbers there. She sometimes has to travel two hours to meet a rehabber half way with an animal. What are their requirements to get your license? Do you have to work with someone or just take the test. If you were able to take the test, you could mentor online with someone. People on the squirrel board give good advice.

As I understand it, you have to volunteer under someone who is already licensed for two years. After that, a Virginia state game warden must come and inspect the proposed accomodations for housing the animals under your care. I think that in order to continue a valid license, a rehabber must take so many credit hours of an educational wildlife class per year.

I wish it was just as easy as taking a test and paying for the license. Actually, I'm trying to figure out if that can be done if someone is planning on being supervised by a game warden. That would cut out a two year waiting period.
    “Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You become responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Gabe Guest

Wow, sounds like they really want their rehabbers well trained in Virgina. Maybe that's why there are so few and far between. Is there someone near you to train with? I wish you luck, don't give up the pursuit, rehabbers are truly needed everywhere.

I'm still searching for someone to train with. I haven't had much luck as of yet, so I'm hoping there may be someone on this board who has contact information for a rehabber in this area who isn't listed online.

I wouldn't mind driving further to train with one if I didn't work so late, but my schedule sometimes leaves me with less than four hours of free time before it's bedtime. That's only sometimes, though. Because of this, it would be much more convenient to find someone who happens to be close.

Thanks.

From the Wildlife Rescue League website:

In Virginia, most wildlife rehabilitators work out of their own homes. They must be licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia to rehabilitate mammals and/or birds and additionally by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to rehabilitate birds. Rehabilitators are not supported by public funding and may not charge for their services.

In order to become a rehabilitator, you must meet three requirements:

1) After filing an application for a permit, have a home inspection of your caging and facilities and a screening interview by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. The application and inspection may be arranged by calling VDGIF.

2) Serve a two-year apprenticeship with an experienced sponsor rehabilitator who can teach you the specific species you are interested in rehabilitating. During this two year period you may rehabilitate healthy orphaned animals in your own home.

3) Each year that you have a permit, you must have six hours of continuing education in wildlife rehabilitation or related topics. (This education is generally available locally through the Wildlife Rescue League, the Wildlife Center of Virginia, and other sources.)

In addition, if you are interested in working with mammals at higher risk for rabies, you are required to have rabies pre-exposure shots.

Only problem is finding someone who is already licensed to train with.

Gabe Guest

Wow, that does sound tough. I wonder if you could get around #2 by rehabbing in your own home and having someone mentor you over the phone?

I'd actually like to check about that. With all the resources out there on the internet, and forums with people like this, I'd not be without guidance and information. There's bound to be a way to get around having to train with someone if there is no one to train with!
    Last edited by island rehabber; 02-22-2007 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sadiesmom
    I've always had permission to do so from a local game warden due to lack of other rehabbers and resources. There's bound to be a way to get around having to train with someone if there is no one to train with!
    Have you talked to this game warden to see what they say? Perhaps with your experience, and if you are under the 'jurisdiction' of a game warden, something can be worked out?

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    Wow, that does sound tough. I wonder if you could get around #2 by rehabbing in your own home and having someone mentor you over the phone?
    ...and over the internet. You've got plenty of us here....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Gabe Guest

That sounds good.
    I didn't know they let you keep non-releaseables in Virginia, I suppose that is a good way for them to still have some control.

DubShack Guest

While I'm not a rehabber, nor do I live in Virginia, I guess you could say I am an expert on my own opinion. I work at a Civil Engineering firm in Washington, where we have pretty similar laws it sounds like. We deal with environmental agencies all the time, and while you never want to pull any punches with them, there are just some things you don't want to say to them. And I don't want you to take this as me criticizing or anything like that, I mean it really sounds like you have a shortage of rehabbers over there and really need more. It genuinly sounds like you care for these animals and deserve the chance to do it. All I want to say is, I would not send this letter. While I've known a couple of game wardens and they both cared a great deal about animal life, the people sitting in the office are sometimes a different story. I mean basically what you are doing is sending a letter to a government agency, one that is the ONLY avenue of you getting a legal license. I mean you hear about the differing opinions between rehabbers on the wellbeing of their animals every now and then, thats one thing. These guys have the power, they have the keys to the cabinet and most of them are arrogant enough to sit on high and dangle hope in front of you as much as they want. That said, these uncaring, arrogant ******** are going to look at your heartfelt, caring letter and determine two things.
    1) You've broken the law before, and while you're sorry, they are probably wondering who was responsible for you while you were breaking the law
    2) You really want to legally become a rehabber, but you really don't have the time or resources to put into it right now, nor a place to properly house a squirrel, but while you're waiting for the time to be right could you please have a squirrel that you don't have to give back?

Look, I know that sounds really harsh, but I know government and I know that is how they are going to look at that letter. I REALLY don't want you to send it, because you really seem like you want to take this seriously and do it right, and I'm almost certain that this letter will kill any chance you have of doing it.

I would consider doing this instead. Call up (804) 367-1000, the Virginia department of Game and Inland Fisheries, and as genuinly as possible say "Hi, look I am really interested in becoming a rehabber of wild squirrels. I have had some experience under the supervision of a game warden, but I'm having difficulty locating a rehabber near to where I live that can assist me. Is there anything you can tell me that might help me meet this requirement, such as mentoring with a rehabber online?"

That more than likely will get you the answer you need. If it doesn't, I would follow the "chain of command." (everyone in government answers to someone, start at the bottom and work your way up- trust me, eventually someone will give you the right answer)

This may sound frustrating, especially when you encounter someone who is so willfully arrogant or utterly incompetant that you just can't get an answer. Just know that when it comes to government, there are litterally dozens of avenues of communication, and unless you're the department of homeland security you're gonna spend some time trying to find someone who will talk to you. Here in Spokane, I can call up the department of engineering services and ask for Doug, the head of that department, and the operator won't have a clue who I'm talking about. The only way I get plans from the city is if I physically show up in person, ignore the clerks (who technically are supposed to retrieve this stuff for us, but pull up books from ages ago wondering why our accounts aren't up to date) and go directly to Steve, the only guy who knows exactly what I want.

Thats another thing too, if this Department of Game and Inland Fisheries is a fair ways away from you, I'd consider it worthwile to take a little road trip and show up in person. Go up to the front desk, ignore the irate woman on the telephone with the black coffee stains around her eyes and go directly to the gray haired, 60 year old woman with the kind hearted expression on her face. If she's not working, come back the next day. But get HER. Say "listen, I came a ways away, I'm from here and I really want to be a rehabber, but I can't find anyone in my area who can tutor me. Is there any way you guys could point me in any kind of direction that might help me out in this?"

Then they will be impressed, they'll be like "wow, she drove a long way and clearly really wants to do this." Don't mention that you did it illegally as a kid, but definately mention that you did it under the game warden. They may, in person, be able to either make an exception or point you in a direction that gets you closer to your goal.

Little side story, several months ago my wife and I were a step away from declaring bankruptcy. My wife was unemployed, and I barely made enough to support us. She had gotten a job offer as a bail bondsman, but she had to take this really hard test in order to become a licensed agent. Her friend had taken the test 16 times and failed it every time. They had a study guide from the bail bonds company, but she said like two questions on the test referred to information they had given. I asked what government agency was responsible for issuing the test. They said it came from the office of the Insurance Commissioner, and I called up the office and said "Look, my wife is trying to take this incredibly hard test called the Surety exam. I understand that by law Washington state is not allowed to maintain a study guide, nor recommend an educational program for it, but what can you tell me that would help point her in the right direction?" They called me back the next day and told me the test was less about bail bonds and more about property casualty insurance, and that if she studied that she'd pass. She found a study guide on that online and a day later, she passed the test. She felt amazing, and got the job, and now she makes way more than I do, but at least we are on our way to getting out of debt.

My point is, it's all about the approach. You kind of have the right idea in that throwing yourself to their mercy will do it, but don't throw yourself to the wolves either.

Fantastic answer, DubShack! Most people in any position of authority are slow to admit that there is anything that they don't know and even slower to refer you to someone who might be able to help you more than they can, or will. They are going to protect their job at any cost, and one of the best ways to do this is by showing their boss,(who probably doesn't know, either), that they are really 'on the ball' and saving the world from being over-run by helpful people with good, logical ideas! Keep going as high in the chain of command as you possibly can, and don't put anything in writing unless you absolutely have to, especially anything that could, in any shape, form or fashion, be twisted around and used against you. Remember that you are going to be dealing with people that demand a 'yes or no' answer - everything is black or white - there are no shades of gray. Always keep in mind the old joke where the lawyer asked the man on the witness stand "Yes or no, sir - have you stopped beating your wife?" No matter what he answers, even if he never beat his wife, he's sunk!

I hope you can get your permit to rehab under a mentor - we need more caring people like you out there. Just remember, there are people out there just hoping for you to give them a little snip of thread so they can weave a rope to hang you.

All that being said, there ARE some good people out there that will bend over backwards to help you. Just keep looking until you find one. And remember - ask everyone.....trust no one.

muffinsquirrel, who has dealt with the government too long to believe otherwise

Sadiesmom, DubShack makes a really, really, good argument for NOT sending that letter. I agree with him.....I think you are "tipping your hand" by sending it, and if you don't get any positive results, now the gov't knows that you are, well, rehabbing illegally. Sometimes we benevolent, tree-hugger types think that all people are basically good and want to help us. NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN. As DubShack says, people in civil service often want to just cover their behinds and wouldn't think of going out on a limb for anyone. (My dear NRBF spent 34 yrs as a civil engineer for the City of New York....he's told me this a thousand times.) Be careful. The approaches DubShack suggested are very good....don't reveal your name or address while asking the questions. Remember the 10 scariest words in the English language: "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you."
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Sadiesmom, I did just want to add, don't get discouraged. It sounds a very complicated and long road you may be on, but with the desire and heart you have, you'll succeed. The critters do need you.

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

Critter_Queen Guest

I wish I had read this thread sooner. Your regulations in Virginia are much like ours in Iowa... I'm willing to bet that you can be an apprentice by phone/email. I do most of my talking with my mentor over the email just because it's easier sometimes and then I can print off her answers so I can follow them more closely.

I meet with my mentor about once or twice a month at most, and sometimes less than that even in the winter months. (and I winter squirrels so...)

It sounds like what you need is a licensed rehabber that is willing to take on your questions and help you get all your stuff set up and then be available for questions/emergencies on an as-needed basis.

Good luck! Keep trying. The first rehabber I asked about becoming a rehabber told me she didn't know anyone that would want to sponsor an apprentice...then I got a hold of someone who was MORE THAN HAPPY to train new people because there are far too many critters for just the few rehabbers available... You would think that most rehabbers would welcome the help even if it meant having to answer a lot of questions. BUT, I suppose it would depend on the apprentice, too. Some folks aren't as quick on the uptake as others, and licensed rehabbers are already swamped and probably worry that taking on an apprentice will only add to their workload with the wildlife.

It's a tough spot to be sure, but don't give up. If you want to become a rehabber, keep at it. Keep calling.

And I would not admit that you rehab illegally to anyone. Be very careful how you explain any experience you've already had. (not to worry so much about other rehabbers, but the DNR, the public, etc shouldn't be told in my opinion)

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Wow, I'm speechless.

Initially I did want to do the whole rehab thing, but I realized I wouldn't have time at this point in my life with the job I'm working.

I really want to thank you all for giving me such good direction on this issue. Unfortunately, I've already sent the letter. I wish I'd had this feedback sooner, as I sent the letter earlier last night. However, even if I'm told no, I'm not going to stop pursuing this. I'll be on the answering machine of every government official in the state if I have to.

I'll let you guys in on a little secret. The reason I'm fighting so hard, and for a squirrel in particular, is because I already have one as a member of my family.

This past February, my uncle's german shorthaired pointer Max came bounding out of the woods with what my uncle thought was a rat. After he took it away from Max, he realized it was a baby squirrel. My home town is in the middle of a forest. There was no way he could have found the nest she came from. So my uncle called me.

With permission to do so from a local game warden who happens to be a friend of the family, I've taken in deer, opossum, skunks, rabbits, raccoons, chipmunks, crows, and any other critter who happened to need me. I'm known for doing this, so naturally I took in this baby.

I did try to contact the only rehabber within a two hours' drive. I never got a response, so I spent every waking minute online trying to find out how to raise a baby gray squirrel.

From pictures, I guessed that she was barely two weeks old. Still pinkish and squirmy and naked. She absolutely stole my heart the first time I laid eyes on her, but the moment she latched onto my finger with those little hands... I knew I was hers.

She was dehydrated, and being that it was the weekend and the nearest Wal-Mart was nearly an hour away, I found a rehydrating formula online and properly fed that to her religiously every hour and a half, day and night.

She slept with a Bambi baby blanket with a heating pad under half of her plastic tub so that she could cool down if she needed.

Monday morning I was out buying puppy formula and proper nipples.

I named her Sadie once I looked up how to tell the gender of a squirrel, and from then on, Sadie was the light of everyone's lives.

We honestly didn't expect her to make it, so we cherished every day with her. So when she began growing and devloping, we were already too attached to ever think about letting her go. She was our doll baby.

We filmed her first wobbly steps after her eyes opened. I still laugh every time I watch it. She crawled around like she was going to conquor the world, but after a few determined steps she just tuckerd herself out and ended up sprawled out on her stomach absolutely pooped.

Our chihuahua sincerely believed that Sadie was her own baby, and the only time I could part the two was when I had to take Sadie to work with me. I worked as a secretary at an off-campus branch of a community college, and every day I'd pack Sadie's "diaper bag" and tote her to work. Everyone there loved her.

I devoted myself to that squirrel, and in my eyes she is my baby. I fed her, I bathed her, I wiped that precious behind. She's grown up to be quite a lovely little lady, and I can't imagine my life without her. She even eats better than we do. And has her own bedroom!

However, she isn't here with me in ***** Because I'm scared of being caught within city limits, I have had to live without my doll since August. She lives with my parents back in ****
    I've racked my brain trying to figure out how I can bring her up here with me legally, and having a permit to be able to keep wild things is the only way I can see to do it. But I can't wait two years. Especially if I can't find anyone to train with.

I wish Sadie could have been wild. I know it would have been best for her to run the treetops and someday raise a family of her own. But things didn't work out that way, and I happen to believe it's because she was meant to be in my life. Or that I was meant to be in hers.

She is unreleasable now. Not that she has health issues or anything, but she absolutely has no fear of anyone or anything. She loves to chew plastic (which is why my mom's brand new $700 printer has seven buttons missing), so I know the first thing she'd do is go chew up a power line or something. Squirrel hunting is a big thing back where I'm from, whether it's in season or not. I can't stand to think about what would happen to her.

I wouldn't have a problem at all with keeping her illegally if I planned on living in *****

I'd pay every last dime I have to my name if it meant I could buy her off from the government. How can I prove that I'm the best thing for her without letting them know I actually already own a squirrel?

I sincerely do care about animals, and eventually I will get a rehab permit for all the right reasons. I honestly believe that wildlife belongs in the wild, but if you'll take a look at my signature, you'll see why I'm fighting so hard for this one to keep. I've tamed her. Therefore, I'm responsible for her.

I wish it was as easy as packing up and moving to a state where it was legal.

So yeah, I probably just made myself a hole to fall in by sending that letter. But for Sadie's sake, I'll climb out and keep on fighting. There's got to be a way.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 02-22-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DubShack
    2) You really want to legally become a rehabber, but you really don't have the time or resources to put into it right now, nor a place to properly house a squirrel, but while you're waiting for the time to be right could you please have a squirrel that you don't have to give back
    I DO have the time and resources to put into and house A squirrel. Just not several animals. Granted, that's how they're probably going to see it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast