Thread: Are raw almonds ok for squirrels?

Default Are raw almonds ok for squirrels?

I just got home from my produce market and I saw raw almonds there. The owner had me try one and they are wonderful. They are fuzzy green balls.
    I have not (in all of my years) seen these before.
    Wanted to know if they are safe for Peanut and Paco to eat?

momma2boo Guest

Default Re: Are raw almonds ok for squirrels?

I don't know anything about green and fuzzy but the organic raw almonds MINUS the green fuzzy is fine. Meg gets one or two a day as a treat if she has eaten well throughout the day.

Hi M2B,

Well I am sure if raw almonds are ok than these are then. You should see these. They are the size of large cherries only almond shaped and bright green and very fuzzy. After you peel the fuzz away then there is a raw type shell and then of course the almond. Very interesting to be my age and never have seen before.
    At least I know that Meg has eaten the raw organic part. I have so many questions about veggies. Like I gave mine a fava bean. It is fuzzy too but they only want what is inside. Love it as a matter of fact. I haven't given them any more as I just don't know if it might be bad for them.
    Our kooky little critters. I worry about their nutrition more than I worry about my own

I used to have several almond trees my old house in Spain.
    I would pick the raw almonds (still in fuzzy green case) and give them to Ahrlan like that. It is just another thing to chew through in order to get to the yummy nut inside.

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Brady
    Hi M2B,

Well I am sure if raw almonds are ok than these are then. You should see these. They are the size of large cherries only almond shaped and bright green and very fuzzy. After you peel the fuzz away then there is a raw type shell and then of course the almond. Very interesting to be my age and never have seen before.
    At least I know that Meg has eaten the raw organic part. I have so many questions about veggies. Like I gave mine a fava bean. It is fuzzy too but they only want what is inside. Love it as a matter of fact. I haven't given them any more as I just don't know if it might be bad for them.
    Our kooky little critters. I worry about their nutrition more than I worry about my own
    Yeah, I hear ya Kelly. Any out of the ordinary veggie I look up to see if it is safe. There's a pretty extensive list (a sticky) of healthy food in this section. Obviously, it doesn't list everything but it sure is a great resource.

Fava beans, huh? I'll have to try that one with Meg.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

where are you getting the green fuzzy things...I want some!

Quote Originally Posted by psychotic feather
    I used to have several almond trees my old house in Spain.
    I would pick the raw almonds (still in fuzzy green case) and give them to Ahrlan like that. It is just another thing to chew through in order to get to the yummy nut inside.
    Good to know PF. I wonder if they grow here or if the guy imports them. They are really good to eat that way. I am glad you have fed them to Ahrlan before also. My fuzzers LOVE them.

Quote Originally Posted by momma2boo
    Yeah, I hear ya Kelly. Any out of the ordinary veggie I look up to see if it is safe. There's a pretty extensive list (a sticky) of healthy food in this section. Obviously, it doesn't list everything but it sure is a great resource.

Fava beans, huh? I'll have to try that one with Meg.
    M2B
    Try the fava beans for sure with Meg. Mine tore them up and went crazy to get into the beans inside. I did not see them on the list but I may have an old one. I printed it out of tsb site at least a year ago.

All almonds have the green casings (fruit) on them, they are just usually removed before being sold

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    where are you getting the green fuzzy things...I want some!
    Jackie are you ever in St. Pete?

I get these almonds from a greek produce market at the entry way into Walmart on Tyrone Blvd. They are my nut suppliers also
    The owner was so funny. I was like "what the heck are these?" he showed me how to get into them. not hard. They were not very expensive. to be honest I didn't even care because I had to get some thinking of my furballs.

They all laugh at me because they know most of my purchases are for my squirrels. Again, the crazy squirrel lady I am called. I like the title. Now you really are the crazy squirrel lady.
    If your ever over here call me and I will direct you right to the place.

Help! I bought almonds in the shell..
    No green fuzzies...and my wild grey squirrels are ignoring them. I opened up a few, no takers. They are not spoiled...but are being picked up and left. Are my squirrels spoiled from having pecans and hazelnuts?

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelMommaPA from:

Buddy (04-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMommaPA View Post
    Help! I bought almonds in the shell..
    No green fuzzies...and my wild grey squirrels are ignoring them. I opened up a few, no takers. They are not spoiled...but are being picked up and left. Are my squirrels spoiled from having pecans and hazelnuts?
    I guess they might prefer the pecans and hazelnuts, soon as they run out if those I bet they will take the almonds. Mine seem to like almonds best, but occasionally I'll give them pecans, hazelnuts and they will take those.
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Buddy (04-03-2021)

Yes, they absolutely can be spoiled squirrels. I have squirrels in my yard that will refuse shelled walnuts and pecans.....initially....when there’s other nuts they prefer still lying around. When all the “good” nuts have been taken then the walnuts and pecans are just fine to eat.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (04-03-2021)

Hiya, SquirrelMommaPA! I like your handle.

Are the pecans and hazelnuts in shell also, or shelled? Did you watch a while to see if they eventually took the almonds? If they're anything like mine, they were probably holding out for something that is less work. Although ignoring them even after you did the work of opening them is puzzling. Is this the first time you've offered almonds? Maybe they're not sure they can eat them? (Yeah I have a hard time buying that myself LOL.)
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

I know you said you opened a few, but maybe give them a few almonds without any shell first. Once they know the smell and taste, they should eat them. My Buddy and our yard squirrels love them; both shelled and without the shell.

I also noticed that when I give something with shell, if they are not that hungry, they go bury them somewhere for later.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Chirps (04-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Yes, they absolutely can be spoiled squirrels. I have squirrels in my yard that will refuse shelled walnuts and pecans.....initially....when there’s other nuts they prefer still lying around. When all the “good” nuts have been taken then the walnuts and pecans are just fine to eat.
    Yeah and why take a nut in the shell and do all that work shelling it when I have a human to do that for me
    They have us trained well 😁
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

SugarMom (04-05-2021)