Thread: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

Hybrid View

Default Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

My 10 month old Grey squirrel is going crazy to nibble at my skin. it almost appears like trying to de-flea me only hurts. Both my squirrels keep me pretty scratched up and Peanut is going nuts to try to clean all of my scratches up. I felt this a nutrition question because he has never done this before. Could it be something he needs like protein?

Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

Just a guess, but are you wearing any different perfume, lotion, etc that Peanut might be smelling?

They love scabs. They eat 'em. I know, ewwwww. And they'll pull them off before the scratch is healed. Ouch. Seems to be their instinct to groom off anything rough on the skin. Henry did it all the time, and I'd go "Owww, I was still USING that scab, you little monster!" I doubt it's nutritional in Peanut's case.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    They love scabs. They eat 'em. I know, ewwwww. And they'll pull them off before the scratch is healed. Ouch. Seems to be their instinct to groom off anything rough on the skin. Henry did it all the time, and I'd go "Owww, I was still USING that scab, you little monster!" I doubt it's nutritional in Peanut's case.
    Ewwww that is gross but you said it, that is what he is doing and or any and all of my skin. When I try to get him to stop he goes right back to it almost like he is crazy. He actually grumbled at me when I tried to get him to stop.He is freakin me out with it. As long as it is not a bad sign then I am better. I had to put him to bed to get him to stop. He must just be going through yet another phase. My little stinker. Just like kids "we say,,,,now what the he** is this behavior"? Thanks for the input Leigh

It could also be nutritional - not his, YOURS! Some things that you eat can be smelled on the skin - if you eat lots of garlic, for example, your sweat will smell garlicky. Perhaps you are eating something new and he is getting the scent on your skin. They have amazingly acute sniffers! Also, sweat is salty and he might be going for that. I grew up in So. Florida and this is Sweat Season!

Too funny Crittermom hmmm what have I had to eat? Yes, Fathers Day din din was Sunday night and we fixed the hubby mushrooms onions and garlic and a big steak on the grill. I never eat red meat and ate it Sunday. Could be.

So you grew up in S. Fl? Where? You are right it is sweat season. Where do they derive their salt from? I have never given any blocks of any kind. They do chew up a bird cuttle bone from time to time. I will see how he is tomorrow Uggg it was freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine
    Just a guess, but are you wearing any different perfume, lotion, etc that Peanut might be smelling?
    No nothing different the same old thing. It is Vic Secret Strawberries and Champagne. Uh oh.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Brady
    My 10 month old Grey squirrel is going crazy to nibble at my skin. it almost appears like trying to de-flea me only hurts. Both my squirrels keep me pretty scratched up and Peanut is going nuts to try to clean all of my scratches up. I felt this a nutrition question because he has never done this before. Could it be something he needs like protein?
    It's called grooming and it means your family!!!! There is a web site linked to a squirrel cam in a gray squirrel nestbox. They nibble all over each other cleaning all the little buggies off. Yummy! bonding time!
    Mugzi is very tender and takes care of all the scratches he gave me
    Chucky, Olive did this too.