Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    3,367
    Thanked: 2

    Default Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    My 10 month old Grey squirrel is going crazy to nibble at my skin. it almost appears like trying to de-flea me only hurts. Both my squirrels keep me pretty scratched up and Peanut is going nuts to try to clean all of my scratches up. I felt this a nutrition question because he has never done this before. Could it be something he needs like protein?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,702
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    Just a guess, but are you wearing any different perfume, lotion, etc that Peanut might be smelling?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,244
    Thanked: 195

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    They love scabs. They eat 'em. I know, ewwwww. And they'll pull them off before the scratch is healed. Ouch. Seems to be their instinct to groom off anything rough on the skin. Henry did it all the time, and I'd go "Owww, I was still USING that scab, you little monster!" I doubt it's nutritional in Peanut's case.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

    The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    3,367
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    Quote Originally Posted by Katherine
    Just a guess, but are you wearing any different perfume, lotion, etc that Peanut might be smelling?
    No nothing different the same old thing. It is Vic Secret Strawberries and Champagne. Uh oh.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    3,367
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    They love scabs. They eat 'em. I know, ewwwww. And they'll pull them off before the scratch is healed. Ouch. Seems to be their instinct to groom off anything rough on the skin. Henry did it all the time, and I'd go "Owww, I was still USING that scab, you little monster!" I doubt it's nutritional in Peanut's case.
    Ewwww that is gross but you said it, that is what he is doing and or any and all of my skin. When I try to get him to stop he goes right back to it almost like he is crazy. He actually grumbled at me when I tried to get him to stop.He is freakin me out with it. As long as it is not a bad sign then I am better. I had to put him to bed to get him to stop. He must just be going through yet another phase. My little stinker. Just like kids "we say,,,,now what the he** is this behavior"? Thanks for the input Leigh

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    20,338
    Thanked: 9670

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    It could also be nutritional - not his, YOURS! Some things that you eat can be smelled on the skin - if you eat lots of garlic, for example, your sweat will smell garlicky. Perhaps you are eating something new and he is getting the scent on your skin. They have amazingly acute sniffers! Also, sweat is salty and he might be going for that. I grew up in So. Florida and this is Sweat Season!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    3,367
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    Too funny Crittermom hmmm what have I had to eat? Yes, Fathers Day din din was Sunday night and we fixed the hubby mushrooms onions and garlic and a big steak on the grill. I never eat red meat and ate it Sunday. Could be.

    So you grew up in S. Fl? Where? You are right it is sweat season. Where do they derive their salt from? I have never given any blocks of any kind. They do chew up a bird cuttle bone from time to time. I will see how he is tomorrow Uggg it was freaky.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    20,338
    Thanked: 9670

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    Mostly Pompano Beach, though I went to school in Deerfield Beach. Lived in a couple places in Ft. Lauderdale in my late teens and early 20's...Margate... moved to Maine in my late 20's, mostly on a lark

    I never got used to the summer down there - just hated it - in all those years. But around October sometime, you get up and walk outside and the humidity has dropped and you know that the nice weather is on the way.

  9. #9
    mugzeezma Guest

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Brady
    My 10 month old Grey squirrel is going crazy to nibble at my skin. it almost appears like trying to de-flea me only hurts. Both my squirrels keep me pretty scratched up and Peanut is going nuts to try to clean all of my scratches up. I felt this a nutrition question because he has never done this before. Could it be something he needs like protein?
    It's called grooming and it means your family!!!! There is a web site linked to a squirrel cam in a gray squirrel nestbox. They nibble all over each other cleaning all the little buggies off. Yummy! bonding time!
    Mugzi is very tender and takes care of all the scratches he gave me
    Chucky, Olive did this too.

  10. #10
    mugzeezma Guest

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Brady
    Too funny Crittermom hmmm what have I had to eat? Yes, Fathers Day din din was Sunday night and we fixed the hubby mushrooms onions and garlic and a big steak on the grill. I never eat red meat and ate it Sunday. Could be.

    So you grew up in S. Fl? Where? You are right it is sweat season. Where do they derive their salt from? I have never given any blocks of any kind. They do chew up a bird cuttle bone from time to time. I will see how he is tomorrow Uggg it was freaky.
    You can try clipping a mineral spool on his cage. Mugzi loves a little lick once and awhile. More often than not he just pees on it but it's worth a try!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The tropics
    Posts
    595
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    Been awhile since I been on so just saw this. Beanie does the same thing. The licking is nice but the scraping with teeth hurts a little and if she finds a scab or a mole, watch out!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    3,367
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    Hi Grinn !!!!!!!!!!

    How the heck are you stranger? I know that is what Peanut is doing. Uggggg He just started though. It made me think something was lacking in his diet or something but I have been informed by the pro's that this is normal. I never know what is normal unless I ask.
    Our crazy fuzzers. Mine are great how is the Bean doing?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The tropics
    Posts
    595
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    I'm the same as you, I never know what is normal. I thought Bean was missing something too so I gave her a mineral/salt lick and some meal worms in case she was looking for protein. She wasn't interested in either. I think she just likes to groom, probably why we have such a problem with her chewing.
    She's doing good by the way. She still chews but as soon as she starts I give her the passion flower extract and she stops. The last time she started chewing I only gave her the remedy for 4 days and she started right back up again after a couple days so this time I'm giving it to her for at least a week.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    3,367
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    You can try clipping a mineral spool on his cage. Mugzi loves a little lick once and awhile. More often than not he just pees on it but it's worth a try!
    Thanks for the info Mugz, I don't know how I missed seeing your post. Anyway I feel honored then because he is grooming me and I am his family He loves me so much he wants to clean me up.

    So funny, mugzi pees on his mineral spool I think I will try one. What the heck. They will never take too much of it because they are smart so why not have it available to him.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    3,367
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    Quote Originally Posted by grinn75
    I'm the same as you, I never know what is normal. I thought Bean was missing something too so I gave her a mineral/salt lick and some meal worms in case she was looking for protein. She wasn't interested in either. I think she just likes to groom, probably why we have such a problem with her chewing.
    She's doing good by the way. She still chews but as soon as she starts I give her the passion flower extract and she stops. The last time she started chewing I only gave her the remedy for 4 days and she started right back up again after a couple days so this time I'm giving it to her for at least a week.
    I am so happy you have found something that helps little beanie, Grinn. My daughter is coming to town tomorrow through the weekend then we have to get together, K?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The tropics
    Posts
    595
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    Nothing going on with me so I'm available whenever.

  17. #17
    leeishxc Guest

    Wink Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    I didnt see this mentioned but just like cats for example, they taste the salt on your skin. Esp if you have been sweating or working & don't have lotion on or anything (because I would think they wouldn't like that), your sweat is salty which most animals like & need in their diet.

  18. #18
    2388549 Guest

    Post Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    my squirel gizmo also chews away at my skin ive over the years adapted to the pain its quite enjoyable mostly the pain that is, but when he gets on more sensitive parts of my body such as were your fat is stored your love handles or your stomach these areas can be quite painfull gizmo trys to clean me and that pretty much sums it up if your squirel nibbles on you tris mean theyve bonded with you, they love you and they want to keep you clean to show there effection tward you i wont lie they do infact like dry skin , the little bugs that live on your body drive them crazy{try meal worms, & secatas } but i agree with the salt theory gizmo mostly loves nibbling about my ears but he also like the goodies in my nose hehe just kidding he only did that once lol sometimes i let him munch atop my head the first few minutes is intresting and very little pain but any longer he get aggressive as he tring to bury his nuts in my brain haha

    in the past when gizmo was youn i had a pidifuly small cage so i squirrel proofed my bathroom and let him loose in there for hour at a time or during the night and ofcourse they like wood but they also fancy paint after a few week i guess he completely distroyed the frame and seal of the window in the bathroom just a few words of thought

  19. #19
    Suki Mixson Guest

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    Ive had Zipper for over two years and we have an evening routine of grooming each other. I bring her house in and it sits atop my headboard. Before my boyfriend can lay down she and I must wrestle a bit then get down to the scratching, nibbling and hand holding. Some nights she just want settle down unless she is holding my finger in her grasp. She will just rest there with her mouth resting on the tip of my finger and a firm grasp. I dont pull my hand out until the last of the tention runs out of her little hands.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Cradle of Liberty
    Posts
    9,171
    Thanked: 1462

    Default Re: Why is Peanut nibbling at my skin? Ouch!

    Aww. Zipper sounds like a very affectionate squirrel. So was poor Mugzi (RIP). Enjoy each other as much as you can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •