Thread: Raccoon with diarrhea

m&bs mom Guest

Default Raccoon with diarrhea

Hi. I have a 3-4 week old baby coon. The vet called me on Wednesday and told me that a lady had found her, the coon went through a cellar window. She had started her on KMR and I have continued with that. We had a hard time getting her to take it at first on Wednesday (the woman found her on Tuesday and kept her for the night.) but by Thursday was doing fine with the bottle and the formula. I had given her some banana and applesauce baby food. I could not get her to poop. When I would stimulate her before and after every feeding, she would only pee. We are feeding KMR pre-mixed (new can every day), and she eats 2.5-3 ounces every 4-5 hours, no middle of the night feedings. Friday she finally pooped for me (a regular stool) and about 2 hours later, she started having diarrhea. It continued throught the night becoming more watery. This morning, she was hungry but I only gave her about 2 ounces of pedialite. I know that they will over eat, is this a possibility? Her weight on Thursday was 1.25 pounds. She acts fine, playing and seems happy, not dehydrated. Should I just continue with the pedialite for today and skip the formula? I have not seen her poop this morning after her pedialite. She will be going to another rehabber later in the week, the rahabber is on vacation for her Grandson's Graduation and has a sitter with her other critters. Any information or suggestions would be helpful.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: Raccoon with diarrhea

hang tight...I will pm some of our coon members....

A single watery or loose stool is NOT a symptom of diarrhea! If the loose stools continue-give a dose of Kaolin Pactate. Dose for a 1 1/2 pound coon is 1.5 ml (cc) by mouth, 4 times a day. Keeping an eye out for dehydration as you noted is wonderful. KMR a recommended formula for raccoons, no need to switch if she is only staying for several days. You are doing every thing right
    Let us know if further help is needed.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

m&bs mom Guest

Thank you for the replies. The diarrhea has slowed down a bit, still pretty loose but getting better. Can anyone tell me how much she should be taking each feeding. I have stopped the formula for today and just giving the pedialite. I don't want to over-feed but do not want to under feed either. Will give the kaolin should the diarrhea continue...I hope is was nothing to worry about and it will stop on it's own. Again, thank you.

5-7%body weight.
    so 30-40 ccs per feeding, 4 times a day..
    I researched this for you from Wild Mammel Babies book and a site called
    Raccoon Care www.orphanedwildlifecare.com/raccooncare.htm ..
    I do not have any true coon experience..I have had a few but passed them to someone with better knowledge...but they sure are precious, they are FReds favorite after sqs and pigeons, and guinea pigs and rabbits...
    Wish I could help more.
    I did send PMs to our finest coon people.... ty Anne!

m&bs mom Guest

Thank you, Jackie...it did help. I know they will over eat and will cause diarrhea and I didn't want cause her any more. They have always been one of my favorites but have never actually rehabbed one myself...squirrels,bunnies,opossums and skunks is all that I have done. In just a few short days she has stolen my heart. We are trying to be very careful as I am scared to death with the raccoon roundworm. She will be going into another rehabber home the end of the week with 2 older coonies. She still has a bit of diarrhea so we are going to do the kaolin and maybe try some yogurt with her. Again, thank you for your help it is much appreciated.

I havent had much luck with KMR this year and will no longer ever use it. Both my Raccoon and my skunk kept getting very watery poops when ever I came up to full strength. Diluting the formula may help. If the finder fed straight KMR without diluting it first that could be playing a role. Also if baby was not properly hydrated first that can cause her to not be able to digest her food. She really doesnt need anything at that age besides milk replacer so adding to her formula may cause tummy upset.

any pics we love pics!

Mandie

m&bs mom Guest

I will only have her until the end of the week...do I need to change to a different formula? I buy the pre-mixed KMR and open a new can every day do I need to dilute that too? Maybe like 3-1? I am not sure what else the finder gave to her other than KMR but she didn't "feel" dehydrated when I got her. She has only had 1 solid poop since Friday but tonight it isn't totally watery like it was last night. Urine output is good and she acts fine. Yes...I have LOTS of picture I can't get them to upload...sorry! She is the most precious thing. My Granddaughter has named her Ryleigh. You have all been so helpful here! I can read about these critters all day long but getting actual responses from everyone is wonderful! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

mmmm if her poops are good I would keep doing what your doing just dont give her anything besides milk. If her poopies are not good I would dilute her to 1/2 and 1/2 and work her back up to full strength.

mmm have you tried photobucket?

guard your heart lol but she will be sure to steal it b4 she leaves if she hasnt already!!
    Mandie.

m&bs mom Guest

Ohhhh...way to late. My heart was stolen when I looked at her Wednesday! I will dilute formula tomorrow for her. I am thinking that she is being over fed. Jackie said only 30-40 cc per feeding. She is taking between 2.5 and 3 ounces every feeding (every 4-5 hours) but when I try to toke her bottle away she gets frantic and tries to get out of my hands to get her bottle. Also can I start worming her or should I just let the other rehabber do it? I have to do some math but I believe the wormer that I need for her is the pyrantel. I will try photobucket...thanks.

With her going to another rehabber, I would hold off on worming her, especially with the runny stools,
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

1. Pyrantel pamoate (Strongid or Nemex)

2. Fenbendazole (Panacur)

Baby raccoons should be de-wormed as soon as they are stable (hydrated and eating well) if rescued when their eyes are open. For tiny eyes-closed babies wait until the day after their eyes open. Regular de-worming every 3-4 weeks during the entire time they remain in care is also highly recommended

I found this on the raccoon care site...and I think I would treat...the diarehha may well be caused by a parasite...
    if you need dosing help, I have Wild Mammel Babies and www.raccooncare.com staring at me...be sure of the babies weight though before medicating...
    I am not disagreeing with Anne on coon care, she is rehabbing some...but I know what parasites can do...and diarehha is an indicator somethings up...and most likely, a bug!
    Your pics need to be resized in order to post them...if you have a program that allows you to reduce them
    Good Luck and thank you for caring for wildlife!
    Over feeding can also cause diarreha

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.