Thread: Pics Of "Lawn Guyland" Ozzy...

Fivefootsix Guest

Thumbs up Pics Of "Lawn Guyland" Ozzy...

From 3 weeks to 3 months!
    Ozzy's estimated Birthday is April 1st, 2010 and I became is official Mommy on April 20th, 2010.

It is indeed a process...but a VERY rewarding one

OZZY in April 2010 (3-4 weeks old in my birds old cage and nesting box)

OZZY in May 2010 (6-8 weeks old with larger nesting basket)

OZZY in June 2010 (10-12 weeks old in his outdoor "Big Boy" cage)

for letting me share!

PS - I understand how to post pics now (Attachments vs. URL's) so next pics will not be duplicated. Thanks for your patience!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: Pics Of "Lawn Guyland" Ozzy...

Ozzy looks great!! Have you taken a look at our Nutrition forum? Lots of great info there on post-weaning diets for our furry friends. Does Ozzy eat any type of rodent block? It really is essential to make sure he gets all the calcium he needs after he's done with formula.

PS: Apologies to those in other parts of the country who don't get how funny "Lawn Guyland" is.... kinda like "fugggeddaboudit"
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

alisa christopher Guest

Hello,
    I am wondering if you could you help me with soft release for three wintered squirrels - the backyard I was counting on fell thru and Chris ( from the store suggested I contact you to see who in the nyc vicinity might be able to help the little ones.
    This is my first time posting and I'm not sure about the process - any advice would be much welcomed.
    The squirrels in question are 1. an eleven month old male and 2. ten month old brother and sister act.
    This should have happened already, but you know how life happens when you're busy making plans!
    Thanks in advance,
    Alisa

Fivefootsix Guest

Thanks! I will check out the Nutrition Forum and learn more about the calcium thing. Ozzy's diet is so well balanced and I have a calcium bone in his cage that he sharpens his teeth on. But if additional calcium is what will keep him a strong, healthy squirrel, then that's what he'll get!

I've got much to still learn about squirrels. I've always had multiple pets throughout my life that all lived long and healthy lives (ie: dogs, cats, parrot, hedgehog, bunny, duck...yes, a domesticated duck, among other assorted rescue animals...), but this is my first experience with a squirrel aside from simply feeding them in the yard.

Do I want a "Pet" Squirrel? Not really.
    Do I want him to have a good life and live wild in my yard with other squirrels? ABSOLUTELY!

However, I'm reading that they are very territorial creatures and it would break my heart to see other squirrels "Bully" him after his release.

My little 4 yr old Terrier has been very gentle with him since day-1, but my cat on the other hand, could pose a problem. Ozzy used to chirp at the cat, but now he doesn't show as much fear towards him. I do NOT want Ozzy to trust Fur-kids that are larger than him , but keeping them separate is difficult as the backyard belongs to all of them!

Releasing him has me very concerned
    I will continue to give time...time, and do whatever is best for Ozzy Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivefootsix
    Thanks! I will check out the Nutrition Forum and learn more about the calcium thing. Ozzy's diet is so well balanced and I have a calcium bone in his cage that he sharpens his teeth on. But if additional calcium is what will keep him a strong, healthy squirrel, then that's what he'll get!

I've got much to still learn about squirrels. I've always had multiple pets throughout my life that all lived long and healthy lives (ie: dogs, cats, parrot, hedgehog, bunny, duck...yes, a domesticated duck, among other assorted rescue animals...), but this is my first experience with a squirrel aside from simply feeding them in the yard.

Do I want a "Pet" Squirrel? Not really.
    Do I want him to have a good life and live wild in my yard with other squirrels? ABSOLUTELY!

However, I'm reading that they are very territorial creatures and it would break my heart to see other squirrels "Bully" him after his release.

My little 4 yr old Terrier has been very gentle with him since day-1, but my cat on the other hand, could pose a problem. Ozzy used to chirp at the cat, but now he doesn't show as much fear towards him. I do NOT want Ozzy to trust Fur-kids that are larger than him , but keeping them separate is difficult as the backyard belongs to all of them!

Releasing him has me very concerned
    I will continue to give time...time, and do whatever is best for Ozzy Boy.

I will try to write more later too. I would never never release on your property if your squirrel has to share the yard with a cat and a dog. And starting right now, I would never let him see another cat or dog for that matter. There are so many cat caught squirrels, and the same thing goes with dogs. This will just teach you Ozzy that they are safe, which they never are. You have a sweet little critter there, but he should be released on some other property....We have a few members on Long Island...let's see what we can do about getting a safe place for him....

ozzy is a cutie! best of luck finding a good release area for him.

@ alisa christopher: welcome!

Fivefootsix Guest

Thank You Nancy!

In my heart I know you are right about my dog & cat, although it was my Terrier that originally found him, cornered him in the yard and actually kept the cat away and protected "The Baby" until his barking led me to go see what was going on. I don't feel as threatened by the dog as I do the cat. The cat does get an occaissional mouse, and already got 3 birds this season too (Grrr)!

I'm thinking about speaking to a Certified Wildlife Rehabber as I have several beautiful State Parks in my area and I'm wondering if his release can be arranged somewhere other than my yard.

The situation truly saddens me as I have other adult squirrels that visit my yard regularily, but I fear Ozzy has become too domesticated and they may bully him (my fault, I know) .

I remain hopeful that time is on my side for the time being. In the next few weeks a new roof will be going up along with other outdoor home improvements so until the work is complete, I plan to keep Ozzy in his outdoor cage where he has been doing very well the past week.

I still have time before I make the final decision regarding his release and ANY & ALL advice will be greatly appreciated.

You might want to contact Barbara Bellons-Picon of The Squirrel Sanctuary in Westbury....sometimes, if she's not overwhelmed, she might allow you to release at her site.

Off topic: last night I'm watching a PBS special about Huntington, on the North Shore of Long Island. Famous former resident Patti LuPone comes on to talk about growing up in Huntington, and she ends her little speech by saying "I just wanna tell everybody out there, Long Island is pronounced LONG ISLAND. NOT "Lawn Guyland"!!!!! "

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thank You Nancy!

In my heart I know you are right about my dog & cat, although it was my Terrier that originally found him, cornered him in the yard and actually kept the cat away and protected "The Baby" until his barking led me to go see what was going on. I don't feel as threatened by the dog as I do the cat. The cat does get an occaissional mouse, and already got 3 birds this season too (Grrr)!

I'm thinking about speaking to a Certified Wildlife Rehabber as I have several beautiful State Parks in my area and I'm wondering if his release can be arranged somewhere other than my yard.

The situation truly saddens me as I have other adult squirrels that visit my yard regularily, but I fear Ozzy has become too domesticated and they may bully him (my fault, I know) .

I remain hopeful that time is on my side for the time being. In the next few weeks a new roof will be going up along with other outdoor home improvements so until the work is complete, I plan to keep Ozzy in his outdoor cage where he has been doing very well the past week.

I still have time before I make the final decision regarding his release and ANY & ALL advice will be greatly appreciated.

Wonderful that you are aware of the cat being a potential problem...good for you. You do have time too, as there is no rush given his age and all. So glad that you are giving him time, and trying to do right by him. There are some people that are forced to do a hard release, that is where they have to take them to a park and just open the door. It really isn't the worst thing that could happen, because especailly in the city, if you want to rehab, your choices are limited. If you didn't take the baby in in the first place he would have been gone long before.
    As IR mentioned, I believe that Barbara may be a good option. I know that she doesn't release on her property anymore, she lives in a neighborhood and can only release so many without neighbors complaining. But I believe that she has access to other property where there are cages and helpers, and they feed for a while after release. That may be a great option as IR said if she is not overwhelmed...
    Good Luck with your little one, and please stick around, there is so much helpful advice and we can get you through this agonizing decision....we have all been there!!!...

I am in Suffolk County, If I can be of any help to you.

I recently passed the NYS Rehabber test, I can not say I am licensed YET due to the fact I have not received the piece of paper in the mail. Gotta love NYS budget problems.

- Barbara M

Quote Originally Posted by prncsbabs1
    I am in Suffolk County, If I can be of any help to you.

I recently passed the NYS Rehabber test, I can not say I am licensed YET due to the fact I have not received the piece of paper in the mail. Gotta love NYS budget problems.

- Barbara M
    WOW...great option Barb...thanks for the offer, very generous of you....

Fivefootsix Guest

A Great Big "THANK YOU" for your replies ...
    And Congrats to you, Nancy on your NYS Rehabber License! :wott (by the way, I'm in Bay Shore).

It's such a good feeling to know that Ozzy & I are not alone!
    You guys and this site are GREAT!

PS - Patty Lupone is right! It's Long Island not Lawn Guyland (i'm sending Ozzy to speech therapy classes to nip his accent in the bud... )

A Great Big "THANK YOU" for your replies ...
    And Congrats to you, Nancy on your NYS Rehabber License! :wott (by the way, I'm in Bay Shore).

It's such a good feeling to know that Ozzy & I are not alone!
    You guys and this site are GREAT!

PS - Patty Lupone is right! It's Long Island not Lawn Guyland (i'm sending Ozzy to speech therapy classes to nip his accent in the bud... )

It was prncsbabs1 who just passed her NYS Rahabber test... She is the girl in Long Island also...

Fivefootsix Guest

my bad...(Thanks Nancy)

A BIG "Congratulations" to prncsbabs1...WTG!

LOL...Thank you.

I am in Smithtown if you ever need any help.

Default Re: Pics Of Ozzy...

I have not lived on Long Island since 1971. Born in the Bronx. raised in Central Islip. Moved to Santa Monica, Ca, then to Florida, then to Costa Rica... 39 years away from the NorthEast..and all I have to do is OPEN MY MOUTH...and the'll say "Oh, you're from N.Y. --aren't you ???" and I reply "NO, I'm from "Lawn Guyland".

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&

Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING (of Costa Rica)

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

ya'll are too funny...and I am a blonde southern girl...I kept wondering ...Lawn Guyland...

I get it...now!

YES congrats again... Barabra

and hope someone can help with release...

Fivefootsix Guest

Nice journey Stosh! I've done some East Coast moving, but never outside the Continental US (yet)!

Thanks prncsbabs1...Good to know you're close!

So far we're doing A-OK...
    Turns out Ozzy and I both love sumertime, corn on the cob & hangin' around...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.