Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete List Of Wildlife Rehabbers

Default Re: Complete List Of Wildlife Rehabbers

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Lynn View Post
    How right you are there, IR!! We are surely the invasive species everywhere!!!
    Agree to Agree on this one

Kristi S Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    KristiS, you replied here to a very old post (2008) but nevertheless the issue of invasive v. non-invasive will always be a sticky one amongst wildlife rehabbers. Those who are paid to manage wildlife think in terms of large populations. Those who volunteer to save individuals think in terms of....individuals. I don't believe there will ever be common ground, since I personally see most human beings here as an invasive species who should not be calling the kettle black.

Going to have to agree to disagree on this one!
    Whether humans are "invasive" or not is irrelevant. No other organism introduced us to new areas: we spread all over the world by our own means. Think of it this way: what if someone introduced to the U.S. a Super Squirrel that started decimating the native squirrel population, and all those lovely grays, foxes (including my favorite, the Sherman), reds, flyers, etc. started disappearing and all that anybody saw anymore was one species, the Super Squirrel. Would you feel the same way about rehabilitating and releasing Supers?

I understand that individuals are attached to the animals they rehabilitate. Does that absolve them of responsibility to protect native squirrels? Should it matter whether they are paid or volunteers? Either way, they are managing wildlife, even if it's on a small scale. When introduced to a new urban area, Eastern Grays typically replace the natives within 5-10 years, according to the Oregon Dept. Wildlife. It only takes two to start a population!

(Should we allow Ebola to run rampant through the human population? Not worry about containment? Same sort of thing! Eastern Grays carry a virus that is deadly to reds, just one of the ways they have of outcompeting them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi S View Post

(Should we allow Ebola to run rampant through the human population? Not worry about containment? Same sort of thing! Eastern Grays carry a virus that is deadly to reds, just one of the ways they have of outcompeting them.)

Careful with THAT analogy, because when the Ebola scare was going on a few months ago I was perfectly willing to revoke the visa's and never issue another to those individuals from ANY of the Ebola countries. Forever. Liberia? OUT! Sierra Leone? Buh-BYE!!! The best way to prevent an invasive species problem is not to let it in, in the first place. Can't take that chance.

There are ways to prevent squirrel pox, the disease that supposedly greys have which kills reds, which is by keeping mosquito populations DOWN. Of course, we have made all the effective means of killing mosquitos illegal now, so human populations now contend with West Nile Virus and squirrel pox goes unchecked.
    As well as a host of other mosquito-borne viruses.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Kristi S Guest

Careful with THAT analogy, because when the Ebola scare was going on a few months ago I was perfectly willing to revoke the visa's and never issue another to those individuals from ANY of the Ebola countries. Forever. Liberia? OUT! Sierra Leone? Buh-BYE!!! The best way to prevent an invasive species problem is not to let it in, in the first place. Can't take that chance.

There are ways to prevent squirrel pox, the disease that supposedly greys have which kills reds, which is by keeping mosquito populations DOWN. Of course, we have made all the effective means of killing mosquitos illegal now, so human populations now contend with West Nile Virus and squirrel pox goes unchecked.
    As well as a host of other mosquito-borne viruses.
    You are supporting my point! Diseases are analogous to other types of invasives. They can also travel through invasives into new populations.

Well-meaning people (and others) who release their pets, flowers, rehabilitated animals, etc. in areas where they shouldn't be create significant economic and environmental problems, and that is what Oregon regulations are trying to avoid.

We do use mosquito treatment in some areas, but it's not economically practical or environmentally sound to kill all mosquitoes. They are a significant food source for many bats, birds and aquatic animals. Some of them are pollinators. Life on Earth is one huge, immensely complex web of interactions. When one part of the web is out of balance, other parts are impacted, too. We have already messed enough with the web in deleterious ways; shouldn't we think about how to avoid making things worse?

Humans are to blame for all that's going on. We have created transportation which can bring anything around the world within hours. That includes food, clothes, building products, animals, and disease. It's just possible that a gray(s) hopped a ride and found it's way in the Pacific Northwest

If only we could pick and chose what we want and don't want.

Then the world would be perfect

Kristi S Guest

Actually, both the Eastern Gray and the Eastern Fox were intentionally introduced to Oregon, both around 1920. Fortunately, they are only in urban areas...so far. In Washington, Eastern Gray and E. Fox are found in rural areas, too.

As far as rehabilitation goes, it's also a question of resources. There are limited resources to rehabilitate wildlife, and it makes sense to prioritize native species. For the same reason, I imagine most rehabilitation centers won't take stray cats, for instance.

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. I would much prefer finding innovative ways to allow both species to exist -- or to relocate a significant number of them -- than to categorically exterminate (commit genocide) on an entire species because they came from somewhere else.

I grew up in, and live in, an intensely overpopulated, high-stress part of this country. There are a few invasive human species I would definitely like to exterminate or at least relocate because they adversely affect MY quality of life and possibly even my health. Just like your red squirrels, there. But this ain't Disney and I just have to deal with it.

I'll stop right there.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Kristi S Guest

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. I would much prefer finding innovative ways to allow both species to exist -- or to relocate a significant number of them -- than to categorically exterminate (commit genocide) on an entire species because they came from somewhere else.

I grew up in, and live in, an intensely overpopulated, high-stress part of this country. There are a few invasive human species I would definitely like to exterminate or at least relocate because they adversely affect MY quality of life and possibly even my health. Just like your red squirrels, there. But this ain't Disney and I just have to deal with it.

I'll stop right there.
    Oh my! Who's suggesting extermination? What's done is done: the non-natives are there to stay. Relocation would only be a temporary fix, and then the numbers would climb again to equilibrium levels. Oregon allows Eastern Grays and Foxes to be released unharmed, they just can't be relocated off the property on which they were found, nor can they be brought into the state. This is an effort to keep them from spreading. They can't be rehabilitated because that would mean putting resources into increasing their populations; they are obviously doing fine without the help of rehabilitation. This is an effort to allow all species to exist by trying to slow the spread of invasives into areas where natives currently reign. Why should this be discouraged? What's so wrong with it? I just don't get it. In Great Britain Eastern Grays have had a major impact on native reds, partly because mortality due to squirrel pox in grays is rare, but it's deadly to reds (there's evidence it can be spread through feeders; it doesn't need a mosquito vector). If Eastern Grays became established in wilderness areas of Oregon, they could have the same impact. It would be great if there were ways to ensure they could coexist without impacting native tree squirrel (the Western Gray, American Red and Douglas, plus the Northern Flying) populations, but it's simply not feasible.

Mortality in squirrels, as in other wildlife, is a fact of life. I have nothing against rehabilitation, but when it comes to common species it's about individuals, just as you said. I think the process of rehabilitation is good for rehabbers themselves, and of course for individual squirrels. If people start doing things like releasing animals where they jeopardize other species, though (and I'm not saying anyone here does that), it becomes a wildlife management question.

OK, I've said my piece. It's been an interesting discussion, and I hope it didn't create any hard feelings. I know it didn't for me.

Are there ANY rehabbers near Cook Station, Missouri that are licensed for small mammals (bunnies, squirrels, chipmunks?)

You can add me to the list for Florida. I have been a rehabber for 14 years. I can do Seminole County and surrounding areas.

Will do -- thanks Dawn Marie

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Thank you. I rehab them all no matter the age I also rehab birds, raccoons, flyers, opossums, armadillos and I have even rehabbed some little gators I am always here to help. Just let me know what all info you need from me to add to the list.

** Remember, Everything has a purpose!! **

Smile Re: Complete List Of Wildlife Rehabbers

Hi there! Just wanted to throw my name in the pot. I'm a newly licensed rehabber in the Hudson Valley area of NY. Dutchess County. Taking in all squirrels, and small mammals! My contact info is listed below. Thanks!

Samantha Malone
    917-885-2378 (cell)
    845-889-4097 (home)
    shadowtailsquirrel@gmail.com

"For Radagast, the fourth, became enamoured of the many beasts and birds that dwelt in Middle-earth, and forsook Elves and Men, and spent his days among the wild creatures." - Unfinished Tales Tolkein

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTailSquirrel View Post
    Hi there! Just wanted to throw my name in the pot. I'm a newly licensed rehabber in the Hudson Valley area of NY. Dutchess County. Taking in all squirrels, and small mammals! My contact info is listed below. Thanks!

Samantha Malone
    917-885-2378 (cell)
    845-889-4097 (home)
    shadowtailsquirrel@gmail.com

Hi ShadowTail. I'm in Montgomery, NY, where exactly are you? I'm always looking for more rehabbers
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

Lynda D. Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NatureGirl View Post
    Here are a couple links to rehabbers, listed by state. They are broken down into two lists, one for states A-M and one for states M-Y.
    I'm unable to pull the South Carolina rehabber list. I need a rehabber in the Gastonia area.. two 3 to 4 week old baby squirrels. some fur, eyes not open yet. Found about an hour ago, have been put in a box near where the were found. Finder will check in a couple of hours, but is interested in finding a rehabber to take the responsibility... From the pictures she sent they are healthy...

Thanks,
    Lynda D

Can you help with where Gastonia, SC is exactly? I know there is Gaston, SC by Columbia, SC. And Gastonia, NC by Charlotte?

Then post in the help needed forum and many more people will see the thread and more to find folks that can help.

Edit: And it is late to be leaving babies out.. they need to be brought in for the night, kept warm and hydrated!

Lynda D. Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Can you help with where Gastonia, SC is exactly? I know there is Gaston, SC by Columbia, SC. And Gastonia, NC by Charlotte?

Then post in the help needed forum and many more people will see the thread and more to find folks that can help.

Edit: And it is late to be leaving babies out.. they need to be brought in for the night, kept warm and hydrated!
    Sparky, thanks for your help. The babies are inside, hydrated, and on a heating pad (very low setting) for the night. I had a brain fart, it IS N.C.

I made a new post in help needed and linked to this thread. Feel free to update the other thread with additional information. There are some members in that area, so I am crossing my fingers there will be offers of help before morning!

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...n-Need-of-Help!

Is there any raccoon rehabbers for central Florida?
    Central Florida Wildlife Rehabilitation
    Breezy's Legacy
    Longwood, Florida
    (386)295-1912
    http://breezyslegacy.webs.com

We cover the following counties: Volusia, Lake, Orange and Seminole. We accept all small & medium sized wildlife and unwanted exotics 24/7. We do not accept birds of pray, snakes, bears, deer, big cats, coyotes, dogs or cats but we will help you place them if it is needed. You can call or email us if our help is needed breezyslegacy@gmail.com

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 33