Thread: *Nos NOT eating his HHB's nor greens!*

Question *Nos NOT eating his HHB's nor greens!*

Ok, Nos was NOT eating his greens but now he won't eat his HHB's! At first, it was just his greens. Now, it is his HHB's! He is still full of energy and acting fine but am afraid it won't last. I am posting this becos I know he will have MBD in the very near future! I don't have time to order those "special" rodent blocks but was wondering if anyone knows if PET SMART has any that would help out for the moment? I figure Nos is just "bored" w/his HHB's? I just want him to get his Calcium and also concerned about Vit D? Oh God, it is always something. Just getting my Bunny over G I Stasis! Hopefully, I will hear back from someone soon so I can buy some at Pet Smart this week-end. I will continue trying HHB's. Need to order some ASAP becos just realized I don't have another bag in Freezer! Thanking you in advance for any suggestions!

Default Re: *Nos NOT eating his HHB's nor greens!*

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNut
    Ok, Nos was NOT eating his greens but now he won't eat his HHB's! At first, it was just his greens. Now, it is his HHB's! He is still full of energy and acting fine but am afraid it won't last. I am posting this becos I know he will have MBD in the very near future! I don't have time to order those "special" rodent blocks but was wondering if anyone knows if PET SMART has any that would help out for the moment? I figure Nos is just "bored" w/his HHB's? I just want him to get his Calcium and also concerned about Vit D? Oh God, it is always something. Just getting my Bunny over G I Stasis! Hopefully, I will hear back from someone soon so I can buy some at Pet Smart this week-end. I will continue trying HHB's. Need to order some ASAP becos just realized I don't have another bag in Freezer! Thanking you in advance for any suggestions!
    Okay, what's going on with Nos lately? What has he been eating, exactly, over the past few weeks? How is his weight? How old is he now? Any other changes in his life? How long has he been eating the HHBs? Probably his diet got a little out of balance, and a few tweaks will put him back where he needs to be.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

I am sorry as I didn't get back to reply as I developed a slight tummy bug yesterday.

Nos is barely interested in his HHB's. He use to inhale "3" down in NO time. Now, he hardly finds interest in part of one! That is why I asked about possibly a high quality rodent block for the time being??

I prepare cilantro, sugar snap peas, broccoli, green beans, brussel sprouts, parsley, kale w/no interest in eating. He did eat a part of a strawberry last night. Offered him his first piece of avocado a couple of days ago. He acted as though he was not interested but it had disappeared by morning. Tried his first few bites of watermelon the other night. Refuses raspberries now.

Of course, the ONLY thing he likes to eat is walnuts, pecans, etc.

I am so very frustrated. Even been feeling I did him an injustice of saving his life!

He is approximately 10 months now. His weight appears normal. When younger, he had begun to be slightly chubby.

He is still active anywhere between 1 to 3 hours in the early morning when I let him out to exercise.

I am so anxious as I feel an impending MBD issue if he doesn't start eating properly!

So, please give me some advice on how to handle Nos and his refusal to eat HEALTHY foods!

Thanking you in advance!

How many nuts per day is Nos eating? Be honest...
    Henry's Healthy Pets

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

he ONLY has a couple of NUTS at the end of his day which is around 2A. usually a walnut, almond, and sometimes a pecan.

are you having more luck w/your picky eaters formula? i really need to ORDER some TODAY so you can get them to me. otherwise, i will have to buy some rodent blocks to hold him over. which do you suggest?

a friend from NY is sending me a sample of the picky eaters formula for nos.

are any rodent blocks OK at pet smart?

please let me know.

thanks!

he ONLY has a couple of NUTS at the end of his day which is around 2A. usually a walnut, almond, and sometimes a pecan.

are you having more luck w/your picky eaters formula? i really need to ORDER some TODAY so you can get them to me. otherwise, i will have to buy some rodent blocks to hold him over. which do you suggest?

a friend from NY is sending me a sample of the picky eaters formula for nos.

are any rodent blocks OK at pet smart?

please let me know.

thanks!
    Certainly you can try the KayTee or Regal Rat blocks, but I'd be surprised if he ate them.

So Nos is only getting 2 nuts at night, and not eating any blocks or veggies???? Then what IS he eating? Have you checked for stashes? I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here.....

Sweetie, it's the same old story....once they reach a certain age, if they've never been introduced to blocks and learned to eat them daily, it's not easy to change that. Can be done, but takes a lot of tough love. Even if they do start eating blocks, it's easy slip back into picky eating behavior by overfeeding (the availability of too much food causes selectivity to increase) or by feeding too many nuts/treats.

As far as the Picky Blocks, those can help some squirrels make the transition to eating blocks since they taste more like a cookie. Even the Wild Bites can be used as a transition block. This worked with Jackie's squirrel Lucky.

Is Nos healthy right now? How is his weight and activity level? How long has he been refusing his healthy foods?
    Henry's Healthy Pets

mugzeezma Guest

Go to Petsmart and get a small bag of rat/mouse block not guinea pig rabbit
    FortiDiet by Kay Tee will work
    See if they have the emergency packets of milk replacer for puppies (that's just until your order for Fox Valley comes in)
    Get a bag of shelled pecans
    go to the baby food section and get applesauce, strwberry, raspberry whatever you think NOS will eat

Boo's Yummy Nutballs (thank Julie Momma2Boo)
    In a grinder/chopper/processor GRIND to a powder

1 part rodent block
    1 part milk replacer
    1 part nut meats

I mix 2 or 3lbs of dry mix at a time

in a small bowl mix in the fruit sauce and a touch of corn oil to the consistency or rumballs or chic peas
    You can either let them dry overnight or place them in the oven on warm for an hour

My superpicky Mugzi monster Snarfs these down!

i am sorry NOT to be responding but am not feeling that great. just developed a terrible cold/sinus infection. feel terrible!

i think nos is just bored w/HHB's. he has eaten them up until about 7 to 10 days ago when he also decided he didn't like greens anymore!

i went to petco last night as it is only about a mile from me vs. 3 miles to pet smart. i brought the rat blocks as suggested. he ate two last night w/some pieces falling. it seems they fall apart easily?!

gave him some just now and he didn't seem interested. refused ALL greens last night but did eat strawberry. just gave him rat blocks and one HHB tonight. no greens, no fruit, and no nuts tonight. no nuts last night either.

he is being a real pain! he is full of energy. good weight.

he is drinking his "filtered" water freely.

i have to take my two kittens for their shots in the AM. i am wondering if i should take Nos instead? don't know what she would do or say?

thank-you ladies for attempting to help my stubborn squirrel! i keep threatening to send him to uncle steve's squirrel spa but maybe that is what he is HOPING? don't know how two males would get along? sheri would have to MOVE out for sure! i guess it would be steve, chuck, and nos to the barn.

i am making a joke but am truly concerned for nos. i just don't know what else to do!

any suggestions? i will wait and see what he does w/the picky HHB's. need to order the fox valley formula tomorrow.

this week-end, i will make boo's balls.

will this pass???

i am waiting on the HHB's for picky eaters. will try them and then decide what to do next!

many thanks!

dana and nos

My Dylan is also picky and not much for eating his vegies...I use yogart, different flavors, and mix in Fox Valley formula and add 1 grated pecan and 1/2 a HHB, also grated finely...I mix it all together and add enough water to make it creamy...He eats it up as do my flyers...Dylan also loves baby pears mixed with Fox Valley...What I do is place it in his cage at night and by the next day it is all gone....He likes to get up during the night to snack, so when that is all that is in the cage, that is what he eats.....

With him eating my mixture, I don't need to worry about MBD or vitamin deficency....

At the moment, he loves the baby food pears and my girls love the blueberry yogart mixed with pear.....Hope this helps...

Hope you're feeling better soon.....
    To all my babies past and present..
    Thank you for showing me how to love
    and be loved unconditionally....
    RIP Timothy

i am sorry NOT to be responding but am not feeling that great. just developed a terrible cold/sinus infection. feel terrible!

i think nos is just bored w/HHB's. he has eaten them up until about 7 to 10 days ago when he also decided he didn't like greens anymore!

i went to petco last night as it is only about a mile from me vs. 3 miles to pet smart. i brought the rat blocks as suggested. he ate two last night w/some pieces falling. it seems they fall apart easily?!

gave him some just now and he didn't seem interested. refused ALL greens last night but did eat strawberry. just gave him rat blocks and one HHB tonight. no greens, no fruit, and no nuts tonight. no nuts last night either.

he is being a real pain! he is full of energy. good weight.

he is drinking his "filtered" water freely.

i have to take my two kittens for their shots in the AM. i am wondering if i should take Nos instead? don't know what she would do or say?

thank-you ladies for attempting to help my stubborn squirrel! i keep threatening to send him to uncle steve's squirrel spa but maybe that is what he is HOPING? don't know how two males would get along? sheri would have to MOVE out for sure! i guess it would be steve, chuck, and nos to the barn.

i am making a joke but am truly concerned for nos. i just don't know what else to do!

any suggestions? i will wait and see what he does w/the picky HHB's. need to order the fox valley formula tomorrow.

this week-end, i will make boo's balls.

will this pass???

i am waiting on the HHB's for picky eaters. will try them and then decide what to do next!

many thanks!

dana and nos
    Sounds good!
    Henry's Healthy Pets