Thread: Euthanasia

sqrlpup Guest

Default Euthanasia

This is a rough question, but I have to ask it for a reason: I found a squirrel going flip-flop on the road today and after playing phone tag with several area rehabbers I could not find a single person to take and/or put down this squirrel. His injury looks pretty severe- Clicking, dragging himself, a broken finger (I won't describe it but it's gross) and blood around his nose. I found him around 3 and he was still alive by 7:30 when I had to go to my evening class, where I am now. He's (she's?) in a cat carrier in my car.

What would you do? Any recommended home methods of euthanization? I contemplated using my pellet gun but I'm out of cartridges. I've used helium to euthanize rats at home but you have to rent a tank for that (and if anyone is interested I can make a thread or PM you on how, it is a completely painless procedure and MUCH more friendly to the animal compared to how most vet clinics do it).

If he makes it through to tomarrow I will drop him off at the vet clinic I suppose. If nothing else they should just euthanize him, right? I'll just feel very badly for him until then.

Default Re: Euthanasia

Take him to a vet, let them have a look at him & decide, first thing in the morning this animal could be suffering, or may just need some help, or a rehabber. I hope he's atleast warm? Keep him in a quiet place untill you can get him to a vet.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Luv2Spare Guest

Unhappy Re: Euthanasia

I can't even believe I am responding but I can not see ANY animal suffer needlessly for any length of time....but, here goes.....

If the vet can't help....carbondioxide.

Nuff said.

theres a very good chance he will pass away thru the night just keep him quiet & warm this post needs to be under emergency so a rehabber can see it.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Moved this thread to the emergency section. Can any senior rehabbers give some input?
    ~ Squerly

TheSquirrelBoard.com

Honesty is chosing to make the right decision...
    Integrity is chosing to make the right decision even when it hurts...

sqrlpup Guest

Thanks. I know it is a hard topic but I had this problem once before this month with an opossum that was in even worse shape. I left that one in the woods because of where I was at the time with nothing to even keep it in. I don't like keeping animals in a state of suffering for any more than they have to be. With care there could be a chance he'd survive but nobody seemed interested in helping out. This time of the year is worst of squirrels and most animals so I understand.

I have this little dude in a cat carrier, wrapped in a blanket. I did put some nuts in there. He's dragged himself around a bit and I may offer him some esbilac in a dish. I'll definetly store him in my room for the night. If nothing else, he's got some peace and quiet.

could you put him on a heating pad on low? If you have one?

Pa. licenced Rehabber

sqrlpup Guest

I use those reheatable 12 hour disks. I will try to ease one in there. He is not agressive at all, though alert enough to occasionally try to move himself. Doesn't mean I'm taking chances though. My mom caught a squirrel yesterday that had crammed itself into this -tiny- hole in the birdfeeder and man was that girl pissed off when she found out after gorging herself on seeds she was too fat to exit the way she came in.

I can't be of any help.. but thanks sqrlpup.. the effort you're putting in regardless of how hard the situation is, moves me.

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

sqrlpup Guest

I suppose it would also help to say that I am in Maryland.

Again, thanks for the quick response from everyone. I'm amazed. Like I said this is just a bad time for most animals and the road. I can't see something moving and "not stop". I'd rather end its suffering myself then let it die on the road.

I'd give him a chance to improve though? I don't know.. I'm not there.
    Last edited by Mrs. Jack; 10-26-2006 at 09:18 PM.

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

sqrlpup Guest

That was quick.

Well, he died soon after I got home. He was very quiet about it. Made me cry a little. Not the death in itself but more because when I first brought him to my parent's house after finding him I had to leave him outside. Despite all the injuries he still managed to drag himself to the front of the cat taxi and every time I found him he was looking out, watching the other squirrels chase and gather food.

Honestly, I'm glad he went. I am all for giving animals a chance to pull through but I have mixed feelings about how far one should go. His back was really mangled. To me, wild animals should die wild, and I'd rather he die then be healed in a way where he could never go back to the wild he has always known.

I couldn't talk about any of that before because I was in a class.
    Work first, feelings later.
    Another night, no regrets, ect, ect.

GhosTS Guest

He was cared for in the end sqrlpup, that will mean alot to him.But if an animal has a chance to survive, he must be given it.because these WILD animals are not killed by WILD.Its a mess that humans made.And no animal must die for the actions of humans.If they can survive, we must always take care of them.

Luv2Spare Guest

Unhappy Re: Euthanasia

I just woke up, had coffee and bacon, then read this post. Ouch.

You must have known deep down inside he wasn't going to make it.

.....and people ask, why do you carry towels and a cat cage in your trunk and have syringes on hand??

You just never never know when you'll need them.

I hope you have a MUCH more pleasant day!!!

thanks for trying to help him and r.i.p. little one.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

I'm so sorry for your loss! Bless you for caring.

you did your best..

Thank you, Sqrlpup, for caring.

ravenlaws32 Guest

very sad indeed . but atleast yo u cared enough to help. thank you . may the baby rest in peace now.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.