Thread: Is This Normal?

squirrelus Guest

Exclamation Is This Normal?

Hey everyone,

New on here, and I am wondering whether this is normal or not. I have been taking care of a baby squirrel recently, and now have what looks like a rash on my forearm/neck. With my pet rat I've gotten red marks that have stayed there a little if he scratched me, and I have been scratched by the squirrel, but I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about, because they look like red spots. Attached are a couple of pictures of my arm-please help to let me know whether this is something I should be concerned about, or if it is normal and should go away? Thanks a lot in advanced!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

virgo062 Guest

Default Re: Is This Normal?

All I see is a red x

squirrelus Guest

The pictures aren't showing up?

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/z...C_00130002.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/z...C_00120001.jpg

Can you see this? The other pictures were showing up for me?

virgo062 Guest

bummer I can't get to photobucket from work. Maybe someone else can see them

squirrelus Guest

OK, thanks! I'm probably just worrying, but I'd like to be sure.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

You cannot get pox from a sq, it is species specific! I promise!!!!!!!
    and those red dots look like flea bites or possibly ant bites...maybe while you were asleep?!
    welcome to TSB!
    Please see our Healthy diet for sqs in our nutrition forum!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16093
    We also have A baby sq stickey with three articles highlighted in purple. They were written by sq wise rehabbers and loaded with great info!

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21626
    They will help you age, sex and feed your little sweetie!
    Good Luck and again, Welcome!
    WE love pics, can you post some of your sq? TY!

Jackie's thinking the same thing I am Looks like flea bites.You can get a Benadryl itch and that should help you,but you need to get rid of the fleas.I just bought some Flea and Tick spray,made by 8in1 Ultra Care for Hamsters,Gerbils,Rabbits and mice,and it worked great on Betty,she had a bad infestation and I didn't want my other squirrels to get them. What ever kind you get just spray some on a cloth and then rub it on your baby.You don't want anything to strong
    Quote: "All Creatures Big and Small,"All Things Bright and Beautiful" ,"All Things Wise and Wonderful" and, "The Lord God Made Them All" By James Herriot

squirrelus Guest

OK, I hadn't expected fleas. :P He looks really healthy and these were pretty large-they're only on my arm and the one part of my neck, but I guess that makes sense because fleas can't stay on humans. Thanks a lot guys!

squirrelus Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa

You cannot get pox from a sq, it is species specific! I promise!!!!!!!
    and those red dots look like flea bites or possibly ant bites...maybe while you were asleep?!
    welcome to TSB!
    Please see our Healthy diet for sqs in our nutrition forum!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16093
    We also have A baby sq stickey with three articles highlighted in purple. They were written by sq wise rehabbers and loaded with great info!

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21626
    They will help you age, sex and feed your little sweetie!
    Good Luck and again, Welcome!
    WE love pics, can you post some of your sq? TY!
    Thanks for the links, as well! I'll post some pictures-I don't know if I should make this a seperate post or not, but on a side-note: I had done a lot of the research before, and from a site I found I guess he was probably 6-7 weeks old...yet he won't accept any hard food at all, and will only drink the ESBILAC. I tried putting some water in the syringe I'm using as well, but he doesn't like that at all-should I dilute it more and gradually add the water to slowly wean him off of the milk?

And picture (not the clearest, but I love his tail in it)-I brought him out yesterday and set him down-didn't stay down for long though, runs straight up to you and climbs you:

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/z...C_00110001.jpg

I think that when he is ready to wean he'll let you know (at 6-7 weeks he should still be on formula).

squirrelus Guest

Oh, OK. So, I should just leave the ESBILAC pure? No water dilution or anything?

Most folks here use Fox Valley formula - last year PetAg changed its formulation of Esbilac and this caused some problems with squirrels. Check out the most recent thread on Esbilac on this forum for proper mixing instructions and additions. Do you give your baby a high quality rodent block to nibble on? These are important to provide the necessary nutrition once she is weaned.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelus
    Thanks for the links, as well! I'll post some pictures-I don't know if I should make this a seperate post or not, but on a side-note: I had done a lot of the research before, and from a site I found I guess he was probably 6-7 weeks old...yet he won't accept any hard food at all, and will only drink the ESBILAC. I tried putting some water in the syringe I'm using as well, but he doesn't like that at all-should I dilute it more and gradually add the water to slowly wean him off of the milk?

And picture (not the clearest, but I love his tail in it)-I brought him out yesterday and set him down-didn't stay down for long though, runs straight up to you and climbs you:

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/z...C_00110001.jpg
    never wean a sq...keep them on formula as long as they will take it! It is the best insurance to good nutrition!~
    Esbilac is not the formula of choice anymore...but it can be used!
    There are two types of esbilac, ready made liquid in a can and powder...the ready made is good for 3 days in the fridge, so my advise is to make it into cubes and freeze...thawing only what you can use in a day or so!
    I would dilute it if he is having diarreha.

THE POWDER MUST BE REFRIDGERTATED ALSO AFTER BEING OPENED.
    I have heard to mix it 1 part powder and 2.5 parts water.
    TSB recommended Esbilac as the closest to mothers milk until last year when PETAG changed the manufacturing formulation...yada yada...so the formula that most rehabbers have been using for years is basically all there is that we can vouche for as being perfect for sqs.
    That formula is Fox Valley and is da bomb!
    www.foxvalleynutrition.com
    I have always added Dannon All Natural Vanilla yogurt and heavy cream to my formula...in my opinion it helps their digestive tracts and adds extra fat..yum yum!
    I also think that the yogurt{like sq crack} can be used as a backup plan if ever needed to medicate or add nutrition to a sq if they have issues down the road, hope that made sense...

Glad you have found TSB , we are the best forum with the strongest active memberships and the best squammys around! yippeee!!!!
    Welcome again!

squirrelus Guest

I have been using the ESBILAC Milk, not the powder, and he seems to be doing fine with it. I'll have to pick up the rodent block, because I had assumed that he wouldn't eat that if he wasn't eating anything else. I can tell this forum is a good one-the replies are speedy and helpful. Thanks a ton you guys!

Mars Guest

About the red dots on your arm. They maybe fungal in nature. Easy to treat with an over the counter anti Fungal for athlete foot. Fungal infections can come from working the garden or from a baby's fur.

Hope this helps
    Mars

squirrelus Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mars
    About the red dots on your arm. They maybe fungal in nature. Easy to treat with an over the counter anti Fungal for athlete foot. Fungal infections can come from working the garden or from a baby's fur.

Hope this helps
    Mars
    OK-I think that I did see a flea on him when I checked him, but I'll keep that in mind. I'm cleaning right now, and going to go and pick up something for him for fleas-is there something I could give him if it was fungal, so it wouldn't happen again? Right now I am thinking that it is probably fleas though.

You could try using a flea comb instead of chemicals. Only use items that are safe for kittens (put on cloth then wipe her down).

Adams flea spray for kittens was recommended by my sq friendly vet for sqs! You will not use alot...just a wee tinjy amount.
    Like Rozdow said, on a cotton ball between the ears...
    I use plastic tweezers from a first aide kit that I filed the tips round {don't want to poke the babies eyes} and squish/squeeze the fleas...
    I have found that sq fleas run and do not hop like common dog/cat fleas...
    Or it could be fungal as Mars stated
    You will need to change all bedding too!
    good luck

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.