Thread: my squirrel ( juvenile) keeps peeing on me

FoxSquirrel1 Guest

Default my squirrel ( juvenile) keeps peeing on me

My juvenile fox squirrel keeps peeing on me.
    Is she afraid?
    wh does she do this.
    Shes peed on my probably 8 times now since Ive had her for 3-4 weeks.
    I got her to come out of her nest tonight with soem peanut butter. I figured she would be calm and I could pet her on my bed with me since she was tired, so I gave her a cracker, and pur her on my pjs, under my blanket while she ate, hoping shed finish and sleep . instead, she peed on me through my pjs, and boxers!!
    so i got mad at her, picked her up, put her in her litter box( shes only used 4 times) and put my boxers in her nest. ( I know they know not to pee in their bedding)
    I dont know how to deal with this??
    yesterday, she peed on 2 shirts, so I got mad at her, held her firm and put her face against the peed clothes, then put them over her nest, and put her in the litter box.
    I feel soo bad.
    I dont know what to do.
    ive done this now probably 8 times, and I feel like each time, less and less she trusts my hands
    I dont want to be mean, and I want her to learn, but Im totally confused as to what to do.
    I havent built her cage yet, so I cant train her witha cage, and instead, she roams freely in my room, peeing on my bed, computer chair, and shoulder.....

Please help anyone/

Default Re: my squirrel ( juvenile) keeps peeing on me

She is marking her territory! You are part of what is hers, as is your room and all the things in it.

I am going to try not to sound too harsh but here goes: This is not a puppy. Nor a kitten. Squirrels don't use litter boxes. They are wild animals. That she is living in your bedroom does not change that fact. Since shoving a dog's nose into it's own urine to teach it not to pee doesn't work, nor will doing it with a squirrel. What it WILL do is destroy any bond you have with her. Every time you punish her you will break it down a little more until it is gone, not to return.

They don't make good pets. To keep one successfully requires that you (1) have the 1 in a hundred squirrel that WANTS to be a pet, and (2) that you are willing to compromise EVERYTHING IN YOUR LIFE for her. This is the difference between keeping exotics and keeping domestic animals like dogs and cats. Dogs and cats have been selectively bred for centuries to compromise with different human needs. Exotics have not, they are wild, and the compromise must be all yours.

Please stop trying to teach your little girl to do and be what she is not. Nobody on here has a squirrel that pees in a litter box! She LIKES the smell of her pee - so you confining her with it is not teaching her anything anyway!

It would be an excellent idea to let the kind folks on here help you find someone who can help her learn to be a wild squirrel and eventually go free. Often it will be someone from this board, which means you can even follow her progress.

Peanut butter? Crackers? Please, please read our nutrition info...There are reams of wonderful info over there, charts you can print out, lists of good and bad food, etc. Lots of people have worked long and hard on it - take advantage of it!

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

cava (01-21-2017), SammysMom (01-21-2017)

Crittermom is right... this is NOT the way to "train" a squirrel. Squirrels train us- humans must learn how to live with them just they way they are. Your methods of attempting to train her will not work, and as Crittermom said, it WILL destroy your bond with her.

Also, as they get older they will be able to control their bladder more. She's excited to se you, her 'mommy', so excited, she pees to make you smell like her which comforts hers.

Squirrels do not make good pets in general. I can tell you for sure that if you do not chnage her diet, it WILL kill her. Please check out the nutrition sections, and the full specturm lighting requirements for squirrels. This is a HUGE time and $$$ committment to having a pet squirrel- it's more like having a kid than a cat or dog.
    [I]An ambassador for squirrels everywhere.[/I]

virgo062 Guest

Absolutly correct...My Greys peed and pooped on me all the time. Your baby is a wild animal you can't train them like a domesticated animal. They don't listen...Litterbox is not the answer...The answer is simple. If you have a wild animal they will pee and poop on you nothing you can do to stop this. It's also not a good idea to let her roam free or you will have another problem...Your bedroom will be destroyed. She could also chew on electrical cords and kill herself. I know you want the best for this baby but I urge you to stay with us and let us help you keep this baby healthy and happy. A little pee and poop never hurt anyone. I actually think it's good for the hair

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

would you like to relinquish the sq to someone else? We can help find a trusted person if that is best! Let us know!
    and WElcome to TSB!

FoxSquirrel1 Guest

thanks for the advice guys.
    After reading a couple other threads here and another squirrel forum, I realized that they do pee where they want. With the only exception, if I finsh her cage, she'll possibly pee in there instead, If I make her wait 30 mins after she gets up to let her ouot.
    poo isnt too bad, I t gets everywhere, and its just pellets.
    We still do have a good bond, but true, Ive noticed her a little more cautious of my hands after ive put her nose in her pee. It made me feel soo bad.
    I love squirrels, and finally a friend found one who fell out of a tree and rescued it, and gave it to me when it was probably 10 weeks.
    I feed her rat food , rodent blocks, and formula daily, peanut butter and crackers is just a treat , and I also ordered her some calcium tablets last night.
    Shes done a good deal of damage to my room already, but Im gonna try and build her a cage; 7' x 3' X3'. Hopefully after being spoiled with a whole room, she wont freak out. Ill put tons of toys in there.
    If it still doesnt work, for sure I will let one of u guys handle this. Someone who has more room and time.
    for now, im not gonna "punish" her for peing anymore, but try and see if this is gonna work
    thanks guys

virgo062 Guest

Yes please don't punish her for anything she does not understand...Also check out the nutrition section you baby needs veggies a healthy diet is so important...Are you thinking of releasing her when she's older? if so she really does need a cage outside to acclimate her to the great and wonderful outdoors. Sounds like a spoiled little squirrel

hi there

welcome to the joys of being owned by a squirrel.............am sure you'll enjoy every minute of it.............

about the peeing..............the morning pee is the largest (and most loving!!!).............so, avoiding her for the first half hour after she's out of the cage is good.............but they generally do NOT like to pee where they live, so try letting her out of her cage, and then, run like HECK!!!..............the squirrel who owns me - chickoo - kinda potty-trained herself..............well, sort of.............i used to put her on a window sill from where she couldnt jump off or hurt herself..........i would do this first thing in the morning, leaving her on a soft piece of cloth that she had peed on earlier...........it would generally work.............she would empty her morning pee on the cloth, after which i would help her off the sill.............of course, there's always plenty more where the pee comes from (they always save some for you!!!)............but thats cos they LOVE you .............we have a member here whose squirrel was trained to pee on the kitchen countertop............(yes, believe it!)............chickoo also has a hammock which she has made her pee-poop hammock.............they generally do kinda choose a regular spot............apart from the rest of the room..............and house.............. .............enjoy being !

FoxSquirrel1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chickoo
    hi there

welcome to the joys of being owned by a squirrel.............am sure you'll enjoy every minute of it.............

about the peeing..............the morning pee is the largest (and most loving!!!).............so, avoiding her for the first half hour after she's out of the cage is good.............but they generally do NOT like to pee where they live, so try letting her out of her cage, and then, run like HECK!!!..............the squirrel who owns me - chickoo - kinda potty-trained herself..............well, sort of.............i used to put her on a window sill from where she couldnt jump off or hurt herself..........i would do this first thing in the morning, leaving her on a soft piece of cloth that she had peed on earlier...........it would generally work.............she would empty her morning pee on the cloth, after which i would help her off the sill.............of course, there's always plenty more where the pee comes from (they always save some for you!!!)............but thats cos they LOVE you .............we have a member here whose squirrel was trained to pee on the kitchen countertop............(yes, believe it!)............chickoo also has a hammock which she has made her pee-poop hammock.............they generally do kinda choose a regular spot............apart from the rest of the room..............and house.............. .............enjoy being !
    hey thqanks for the tip
    Yea, shes spoiled, being that she has the whole room to herself.
    I am working on getting her more in line. I have never, and will never hit or hurt her.
    -Spoiled -
    she eats when she wants, pees and poos wants, plays when she wants, and chews on whatever she wants, in a whole bedroom! hahaha
    So Ive heard from majority they have litter boxes in their cages, and liek u said, dont touch her for the first 1/2 hour till she pees. I messed that up today. She was up for ATLEAST a half hour, and she saw me and jumped on me to take her into the kitchen like usual, and as I made her formula, she peed all over my shirt!
    yesterday, I took her outside, as Ive only taken her out once, and thinks she needs it. while on my shoulder, with the dogs barking she peed on me.
    then peed again when I went in the backyard to feed her watermelon

I need to get her diet down a little better.
    Ive read rodent blocks and rat food are good, but she mainly eats the rat food. and I think that spoils her because she never wants veggies, only fruit

go to the nutrition forum.............its never easy to train a pet squirrel to eat healthy..............but be strong, and it will work eventually............plus, "never look into their eyes"!!!!

you need a pee-pee-poop shirt

virgo062 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FoxSquirrel1
    because she never wants veggies, only fruit
    Oh I know Knothead WAS the same way but I did the tough love because I didn't want to deal with the MBD down the road. So he eats his veggies...what does not hit the floor and he only get treats at night oh and give I him a Tums a few times a week for calcium. he is a non releaseable.

And the peeing...Is Hilarious...Keep the steady stream coming little girl.
    Have you figured out yet who the boss is?

soorya Guest

Smile Re: my squirrel ( juvenile) keeps peeing on me

I came here because my little peed on me for the second time.
    Thanks for all the info

Quote Originally Posted by virgo062 View Post
    Oh I know Knothead WAS the same way but I did the tough love because I didn't want to deal with the MBD down the road. So he eats his veggies...what does not hit the floor and he only get treats at night oh and give I him a Tums a few times a week for calcium. he is a non releaseable.

And the peeing...Is Hilarious...Keep the steady stream coming little girl.
    Have you figured out yet who the boss is?

Well, now I am jealous!
    So I save this little thing. I make sure she has the best milk and blocks, feed her, and clean her cage. I make sure she has plenty of time outside the cage for her to lear. I am the one with destroyed hands covered in scratches... and she pees on my partner? Who she only sees a few hours at night. I am done. Now I am really, really jealous... Unacceptable!!! (Lol who thought I would one day be jealous that a squirrel is not peeing on me. The world is crazy like that ahahahahaha)

Members who have read this thread: 4