Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MAY 2010 UPDATE: Milk Replacers Study

Suzie Guest

Default Re: MAY 2010 UPDATE: Milk Replacers Study

Heinrich is outside (in Freedom) since May 5th
    Sometimes he visit me!

Suzie that's wonderful news! If you can, we'd love to see a pic of the handsome Heinrich all grown up! Congratulations on a successful rehab & release -- it's what we live for around here.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Suzie Guest

Heinrich is a bit shyer than in May, (that is good so !), but I will try to make a new photo from him, when he come back to visit.

At time, I have a poor baby named Blacky 8 - 9 weeks old. He was found in age 5 weeks. The man, who found him, gave him 3 weeks the false feed. Only babyfood for humans (Alete Fruit and Vegetables) and water with Oatmeal. No milk.
    The coat in his face and under the neck looked bad. Old dried mush. 1 hour long, I have tried to remove the old remains with soapy water.

Sometimes... the people are very stupid ! I don't understand , why they not look for information on Squirrel-websites.

You can see Blacky on my website ... Klick on "Findelkinder 2010"

http://www.eichhoernchen-findelkinder.de/

omg - I have such squarrel jealousy :heart:

are these tufted ear red squirrels? wow! gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Deshaun
    I completely agree with you.
    I am No nutritionist by any means, so I don't fully understand
    the ramifications of too much copper/not enough copper in the formula.
    The ramifications are that in comparison to other formulae, the ONLY thing a particular expert could come up with about Fox Valley that wasn't perfect is that "the copper might be a bit low." The owner of Fox Valley Nutrition, Nick Vlamis, did not agree but tweaked the formula a bit to adjust the copper anyway. Truth is, copper is so plentiful on the earth that it is everywhere. There is no danger of "low copper" to a squirrel's health when being raised on Fox Valley formula.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Hello all!

We are new to the board, but wanted to add our 2 cents on the Esbilac issue. In September of 2011, we had 2 babies (they were 2 weeks apart, but we got each when they were about 4 weeks old) and after reading about feeding (we had never even seen a squirrel close up before), started them both on 2 parts Hot Water, 1 part Esbilac, and 1 part Heavy Cream. We would let this sit for an hour before feeding to the little ones, and both THRIVED on this mixture. The oldest one (Roxie) was doing great at the time we turned her over to a rehabber, when she was about 4 months old, and the younger one (Rex) is still doing great (he has had seizures when he was younger, which is why I think his Squirrel Mommy cleared him out of the nest, so he will never be able to go into the wild and is our love) and at 7 months old, is eating natural foods (We are going to start him on HHB, since we found out about it from this board, this week) and getting into everything, as a squirrel is bound to do. We stand behind this Esbilac mixture, since we had very positive results. Hope this helps!

Welcome to TSB, Rex's Parents, and good job making the Esbilac work for you. There is lots of info here that will help you keep little Rex happy and healthy for years to come. Remember that CALCIUM IS KEY.

TSB continues to recommend Fox Valley Day One formulae (32/40 and 20/50) for several reasons, the most important of which is that it is formulated for squirrels and not carnivores (puppies), and does not require special additives or special treatment if used correctly. However, we are tolerant of others' formula preferences, so long as the squirrels THRIVE.

Last edited by island rehabber; 02-23-2012 at 08:27 AM.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Thanks for the info on Fox Valley. We have been asked by several Vets in the area (we took Rex into a local vet when we first got him, for an ear infection) to possibly be a place they can refer people to, when they find little ones needing care. When the next cycle of pups are born (and we get a batch to care for), we will definately use the Fox Valley! We just didn't know anything about caring for them, when we had these two entrusted to our care. Everything we read seemed to indicate that the mixture we used was the best (no one had even mentioned Fox Valley at the time). It will definately give us a chance to compare the two!

On a side note, I did want to pass on some critical info. Not sure I should post it in a seperate post, but we wanted to let everyone know about foods from Hawaii, especially Sugar Cane (which by itself, is not bad for Squirrels). Hawaii does not have squirrels, but they do have an out of control rat problem. Our first rescue (Roxie) went to a rehabber and we baby sat her while they went to Hawaii. They brought home some Sugar Cane as a treat for her, and within hours of giving it to her, she started showing signs of distress. Shortly afterwards, she lost the use of her back legs. Late that night, she passed away (she was a strong, vibrant squirrel until then). After doing much research, we determined that the Sugar Cane probably had the rat pesticides on them. We will never let the rehabber know that this is what caused her death (he was just devestated by her death, and this would just kill him), but maybe by telling others, they can learn from that mistake. I recommend anytime produce is introduced to our babies, that it be washed thoroughly, and when introducing something new (like sugar cane), investigate what pesticides are used by the growers. This little ounce of prevention can save a precious life of our little loved ones! Remember that even though our Furries are cute and cuddly, they are still part of the Rodent family, and any rat or mouse poision is also squirrel poision. This fact was an eye opener for my wife and I, as we never even thought of the connection.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 02-23-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Really makes me wonder even more about all the produce we have from other countries.
    I can't even get a Florida orange in Florida, they are from South Africa. taste awful too by the way.
    Sugar cane is not allowed out of Hawaii, (wonder how they smuggled it)
    Not even dirt on the golf shoes , if there is any it must be cleaned off before boarding.

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

Hi Suzie Welcome to TSB
    OMG!!! Heinrich Is So BEAUTIFUL, What A Squirrel I am In LOVE !!!
    You Need To Stay Around and Keep Posting Pictures and About The Life of Your Squirrels.
    I so Wish we had those Beauties Here in TX.

Suzie Guest

Hi Mrs Skul,

I would not destroy the thread here

But you can look on my website, to see the babies of this season.

www.eichhoernchen-findelkinder.de (look on: Findelkinder 2012)

I'm very happy with the Fox Valley Formula, but sometimes it is difficult to get it here in Germany.
    Our customs officers are a little bit stupid.

They send the formula back to USA, because they think, there is squirrel-meat in the box, or dog -food

Sometimes it's all right... sometimes we have problems.
    We hope of a german distribution directly, - someday - to buy this milk replacer without Problems.

"Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt!"

Greetings from Germany

hi Suzie! Good to see you again!!! The pix on your site are adorable -- love those red babies!!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Suzie Guest

Hello again from Germany !

I have a question!

Can anybody tell me something about this analysis?

http://www.ewildagain.org/Milk%20Rep...11471_test.htm

I want to know, how many mixed milk 1 : 2 analysed ? Is this 100 ml?

I mean:

Protein 6.5 %
    Fat 7.1 %

In Germany are people, who recommend a product for human babys to feed it the squirrel Babys!

I look the Proteine and Fat of 100 ml (mixed milk) from this.

"Humana Heilnahrung SL" (The Human baby milk)

100 ml:

1,7 % Protein
    3,6 % Fat

I would like to contact this stupid people and tell them, the difference (Fat/Protein) in 100 ml "Fox Valley" and 100 ml "Humana Heilnahrung".

Is this 100 ml? I can't find the quantity of this analysis.

I hope anybody understand my question!

Greetings

Suzie

Suzie Guest

knock..knock

MO newbie Guest

What kind of sq is Heinrich? He is so awesome looking.

Post Re: MAY 2010 UPDATE: Milk Replacers Study

Hmmm, a dead thread. Just thought I'd add what I have experienced with milk formulas...

I think almost everyone will agree that Fox Valley for furballs is the gold standard. If I had a dependable supply of this I'd look nowhere else. Our furballs have never had a problem with this product. Unfortunately, we cannot always guarantee a timely supply of it here in Canada when it's needed. How to fill the gaps?

I studied the ewildagain.org page on formulas and began some web research. Ultimately, I settled upon analysing Royal Canin 1st Age Babydog Milk vs. Fox Valley 32/40 which is our preferred standard. The protein/fat ratio was very similar with RC at 31/37. Fibre, moisture and ash were near identical. Trace nutrients were not identical in every case but similar. I did not see anything that might raise a flag so I bought some locally.

Now, admittedly, we have not fed pure RC to any squirrel babies yet but it has been used at a 50% mix with FV in our Boo Balls and it makes no difference -- they still fight over them.

This spring I'm quite willing to extend or replace, as necessary, Fox Valley with RC for formula. If we have any problems, I'll report back. I am reminded that some members have considered RC 1st Age BabyCat formula to be the best substitute. Perhaps it is. In a cursory review of the formula I noticed only a higher Taurine content, which is necessary for cats but perhaps not for furballs. I think, at this point, it is time for the usual disclaimer...

What has worked for us may not for you. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). Consider this info and decide on your own. Always remember that your furball's well being come first.

-Squirrel Wrangler (Jerome's father)

Squirrel Wrangler.

I'm so glad you brought this up as baby season approaches! During baby season last year I received a message about this very subject from my pal Flo, a NYC licensed rehabber and TSB member. Flo is originally from France and does a lot of communicating and translating of squirrel rehab info for rescuers in both France and Canada. The problem of not being able to get FV, or get in a timely fashion as you mentioned, is always critical in both places and so she suggested the Royal Canin. I have begun to see RC products on shelves here in the US as well. It's great to know that this is a high-quality product that can be used alone or blended for baby squirrels, and UNlike FV, can be quickly picked up from a store.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

I didn't read through this whole thread, and if this isn't pointed out, I think it's worth mentioning.

We no longer recommend feeding Fox Valley formula to neonates. There have been problems with the little ones digesting the 32/40. This has been going on for the past two years. Babies just were NOT digesting this, and they were bloating and constipated. The problem only went away when they were taken off of this formula. Some even passed from lack of nutrients being able to be injested, and from bloat.
    What we now suggest is using powdered Esbilac Puppy formula, the new one with the probiotics in.
    It has a blue ring around the top that says, with prebiotics and probiotics.

Once the baby's eyes are opened, most of us go to a 50/50 formula using half the Esbilac Puppy Formula with probiotics,
    and half Fox Valley 20/50. OR you can continue with straight Esbilac.

Thanks for this most critical update, Nancy!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by lizharrell1 View Post
    Thanks IR for posting the link for formula comparison. I find it interesting that some rehabbers report positive gains with Fox Valley, yet others don't. In the article it said that some rehabbers were mixing Fox Valley with Esbilac. In my own opinion, that just seems like an unecessary and somewhat expensive for rehabbers who might be on a tight budget. Having used Fox Vally with my latest two girls, Brenna and Tessa, I reported on this board several times about how impressed I was with their growth on the FV. I even jokingly asked just what does Nick put in that stuff that makes them gain and grow so well. These babies were quite muscular too. I DID add heavy whipping cream to compensate for what the FV might be lacking in fat content. I find it a little odd that some people have great success with FV, yet others have probs with it. Personally, I will NEVER use a PetAg product again. Has anyone ever actually reported losing babies that have been on Fox Valley? Anyway, these are just my thoughts on the subject. I am sticking with FV.
    Which Fox valley formula? It seem a lot of people had problems with Fox Valley 32/40. People who post about formulas should include which formula they are talking about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast