Thread: We found a baby with a broken leg

Hybrid View

Michele&Angie Guest

Question We found a baby with a broken leg

It's about 5 weeks old 3 days ago. I phoned a vet and they said that i'd have to get a permit to keep him in order to bring him it the clinic for a cast. Well it's against the law to have a squirrel here in BC so I can't do that. Will his leg heal on it's own?
    I don't know what to do. I think it's broken at the hip.
    We did a lot of research with making the formula and he's now eating (like a horse) but I worry about his leg. ??
    Michele

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: We found a baby with a broken leg

he will need to be confined in a small well padded carrier...do not allow him to climb..calm dark and quiet...cover the carrier
    most breaks near the body are unable to be casted anyway...most vets will tell you to keep them quiet...
    can you find some metacam pain meds...call your friends ...maybe dog friends..
    heat is needed...a heating pad set on low, half under the carrier ...AND a rice budy to snuggle...a sock filled with any rice and microwaved for 20-60 seconds...
    in a perfect world...i would say go to the vet,,,but it is what it is...thanks for finding TSB....can you post a pic to expedite help...thanks
    push fluids
    home made pedialyte recipe
    1 quart warm water
    1 teaspoon table salt
    3 tablespoons sugar
    stir and refridgerate for 48 hours...
    edit: is the site hot/fever?

Jackie's right -- my vet just repeated this the other day, that if breaks are close to the body they can't splint them anyhow. A 5-wk-old baby will heal fast, if he's kept in a small well-padded container and NOT handled or allowed to move around too much. He could be good as new in 2-3 weeks. Lots of good information here on care, feeding, bedding -- and lots of us willing to help with any questions.

PLEASE: give him the Fox Valley Day One formula for Squirrels 32/40. It is the best available. Esbilac (Pet Ag) has a new formulation that is making baby squirrels sick, and other formulas are simply not any good for squirrels.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Michele&Angie Guest

Thank you very much. I've been tons of research on the net and feel well equipped now.
    All he wants to do is be very quiet and still anyway so that should be easy.
    I'll try to post a pic later.
    Michele

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

we have heard it a thousand times...calcium builds strong bones...push the formula!
    keep us posted and we DO love pics!

Michele&Angie Guest

I put a pic on my avator that shows his legs. It's a small pic but maybe you can see that one leg goes out wrongly.
    Then I put him right back to bed.
    Thank you.

virgo062 Guest

How about some rescue remedy to keep him calm?