Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: upChucky's UP!

Default Re: Chuck is very sick and vomiting

I have been watching and reading this thread. I am soooooi happy to hear that he is finally showing signs of getting better. I've had my thoughts on him for a while now. Hopefully he'll be right as rain soon. I'm sure he misses his daddy whole bunches!

Heres to a happy reunion soon!
    RIP Pachi 4/11/2010

Tomo Guest

The only way you will know if his kidneys are compromised is via blood test. You need to draw blood and have the lab run his values against rat values. If his BUN, Creatinine, or Phos are high, then he is suffering from renal failure and normally should be put on an IV flush. At the same time, they can become anemic, and their thyroid can be thrown off, so not only doing CBC, but a SMA, a glucose panel and thyroid will give a more complete picture of his health. Also it is normal that if their blood count is low, they can be transfused with the blood of another squirrel, but that can only be done by vets with the proper equipment. Just continue to keep him warm because the more fluid that runs through his body, the colder he will be.

If continuing to sub-q and, once he is hydrated, you do not notice him urinating, a good diuretic is calcium. Do not use potassium because dosage is intricate. So you may want to supplement calcium as well.

It is good news to hear that he was up this morning and more awake. He is thin, so even though you are giving him the goat milk formula, don't forget about the vanilla Ensure Plus. Either he will hate it or he will love it and it will put weight on him faster than any formula on the market.

It also looked like he may have some hair loss on his side, which could be caused by low calcium levels if not caused by repeated rubbing against an object such as the entrance to a nest box, etc. The calcium "may" help with this as well.

Hoping to hear more good news later today! Big Hugs and Big Kisses to Chuck!

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo
    The only way you will know if his kidneys are compromised is via blood test. You need to draw blood and have the lab run his values against rat values. If his BUN, Creatinine, or Phos are high, then he is suffering from renal failure and normally should be put on an IV flush. At the same time, they can become anemic, and their thyroid can be thrown off, so not only doing CBC, but a SMA, a glucose panel and thyroid will give a more complete picture of his health. Also it is normal that if their blood count is low, they can be transfused with the blood of another squirrel, but that can only be done by vets with the proper equipment. Just continue to keep him warm because the more fluid that runs through his body, the colder he will be.

If continuing to sub-q and, once he is hydrated, you do not notice him urinating, a good diuretic is calcium. Do not use potassium because dosage is intricate. So you may want to supplement calcium as well.

It is good news to hear that he was up this morning and more awake. He is thin, so even though you are giving him the goat milk formula, don't forget about the vanilla Ensure Plus. Either he will hate it or he will love it and it will put weight on him faster than any formula on the market.

It also looked like he may have some hair loss on his side, which could be caused by low calcium levels if not caused by repeated rubbing against an object such as the entrance to a nest box, etc. The calcium "may" help with this as well.

Wow! You are something else! I'm impressed.

So glad to hear that Chuck is showing signs of improvement. Will keep checking back. My gosh, this place is sooooo stressfull but I can't help but read the scary threads so I can add my prayers to everyone elses.

Tomo,

His fur was just a little fluffed up when I took the picture. I don't believe he has any hair loss.

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoKim
    Tomo,

His fur was just a little fluffed up when I took the picture. I don't believe he has any hair loss.

Kim
    Tomo may be referring to the photos on page 4...

Hello
    So Glad Chuck is getting better
    Been worried and praying for him
    I been checking on him when ever I can.
    I have been thinking
    I have used Charcoal for my Chuck when he got into some Iburofen
    dont know if that will help Chuck or not here is a link to check out it does a lot
    http://healingtools.tripod.com/thn5.html
    and I have used Milk thistle on me dont know if that will help Chuck
    here is some information
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sil...nt-milkthistle
    Praying he gets better

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrely Steve
    Hello
    So Glad Chuck is getting better
    Been worried and praying for him
    I been checking on him when ever I can.
    I have been thinking
    I have used Charcoal for my Chuck when he got into some Iburofen
    dont know if that will help Chuck or not here is a link to check out it does a lot
    http://healingtools.tripod.com/thn5.html
    and I have used Milk thistle on me dont know if that will help Chuck
    here is some information
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sil...nt-milkthistle
    Praying he gets better
    I have used milk thistle before with my parrots. Their liver values can get out of whack and the milk thistle works well. I know it also has effect on the kidneys - might be something interesting to look at for long term.

mugzeezma Guest

Oooh thanks for reminding me about the vanilla Ensure Plus Alexandra. I feel he is very underweight and possibly undernourished. He has nowhere near the bulk and muscle tone Mugzi is does and Mugzi is a rail but tough as nails. Chuck has the same molt pattern fur regrowth Mugzi does too.
    I am continuing SubQ 3xs daily and pedialyte by mouth in between feedings

Is he doing any better now than he was? Does he appear to have perked up a little? Is he sleeping alot?
    Give him a little kiss for me and tell him we are all praying for him...

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    Is he doing any better now than he was? Does he appear to have perked up a little? Is he sleeping alot?
    Give him a little kiss for me and tell him we are all praying for him...
    oh, he is so stressed. He growls at every movement even though I keep him in the quietest place...my room. I have him in a large rabbit cage.Andrew told me he hates small cages. Well Andrew, Chuck hardly leaves his box right now so a large cage would do nothing right now but make him harder to catch. Chuck needs quiet and rest for awhile until I get him back to normal. It's going to take some time kiddo. Each hour he seems more alert but is still very quiet

May I suggest Rescue Remedy He will get better faster without the stress.

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    oh, he is so stressed. He growls at every movement even though I keep him in the quietest place...my room. I have him in a large rabbit cage.Andrew told me he hates small cages. Well Andrew, Chuck hardly leaves his box right now so a large cage would do nothing right now but make him harder to catch. Chuck needs quiet and rest for awhile until I get him back to normal. It's going to take some time kiddo. Each hour he seems more alert but is still very quiet
    Thanks for the update...can you use a little rescue remedy on him to keep the stress down?

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    Thanks for the update...can you use a little rescue remedy on him to keep the stress down?
    EEESH and I have a 20oz bottle right on my desk looking at me
    duh what's 2 and 2???
    I'll try it on him next feeding. He is still hiding and sleep a lot. Hell on wheels until I actually can lay a hand on him and pet him the he totally relaxes. He has the biggest eyes I have ever seen!!!! He's adorable

EEESH and I have a 20oz bottle right on my desk looking at me
    duh what's 2 and 2???
    I'll try it on him next feeding. He is still hiding and sleep a lot. Hell on wheels until I actually can lay a hand on him and pet him the he totally relaxes. He has the biggest eyes I have ever seen!!!! He's adorable
    Awe just keep loving that baby...I bet Andrew is lost without him... Just get him back on his feet and feeling better...

Tomo Guest

Tomo,

Kim

Excellent! Was just a bit worried.

mugzeezma Guest

Excellent! Was just a bit worried.
    Actually he has the same molt pattern Mugzi does but Chuck's fur is thin on his flanks and shoulder still are thin
    At what point do you think he should be tested for kidney disfunction.
    Problem here is we have nowhere to send it.

At what point do you think he should be tested for kidney disfunction.
    Problem here is we have nowhere to send it.
    Actually we can send it to my vet. He will run it as a rat. But it has to be brought to the vet very soon after the draw (can't remember the amount of time). This might necessitate doing the draw at my house.

He would sell me me the vials and syringes. We would need to know what tests exactly to know what vials we would need up front.

But that is the least of our problems.....

Drawing blood from a squirrel is known to be difficult. So that's where I turn this topic over to you, Mugz. I either posted or PM'd you with Loopy Squirrel's description of how to do it. Her video is no longer available.

When Snubby was so sick, it was determined that we needed blood from him. One of my fellow feral cat workers came to help me and we could not get in that vein. But we have no experience either. From what I hear, even with experience it is a !!!!

What do you think Mugz? Tomo? Senior members? Others?

Kim

A person without experience should never try to draw blood from a squirrel. My vet has often had trouble getting blood and she has many years experience. I would think it would actually require the animal be under anesthesia to prevent too much stress on an animal that is easily stressed and already under a lot of stress because of his illness. This should be discouraged unless a vet can do this blood draw.

mugzeezma Guest

Actually we can send it to my vet. He will run it as a rat. But it has to be brought to the vet very soon after the draw (can't remember the amount of time). This might necessitate doing the draw at my house.

He would sell me me the vials and syringes. We would need to know what tests exactly to know what vials we would need up front.

But that is the least of our problems.....

Drawing blood from a squirrel is known to be difficult. So that's where I turn this topic over to you, Mugz. I either posted or PM'd you with Loopy Squirrel's description of how to do it. Her video is no longer available.

When Snubby was so sick, it was determined that we needed blood from him. One of my fellow feral cat workers came to help me and we could not get in that vein. But we have no experience either. From what I hear, even with experience it is a !!!!

What do you think Mugz? Tomo? Senior members? Others?

Kim
    I can research how. I've drawn and stuck humans horse dogs and now a squirrel????
    As far as I know we have some time on this. If he sustained kidney damage from this incident what could we do about it anyway except support?

BTW
    I let Chuck out of his cage in my room. He hopped from my hands to the bed and peed and peed and peed then he ran up onto my shoulder and tinkled down my back.
    Does this mean we're engaged?

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast