Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: upChucky's UP!

mugzeezma Guest

Default Re: upChucky's UP!

Quote Originally Posted by Katfish92
    how do squirrels get it? Could it be from when he was sick and do you think mugzi got it from chuck?
    Hard to say WHERE they contracted it but I would bet that Chucky had it as long as you have lived with him, probably from the nest he was born in.
    It's contracted through fecal contact so I doubt Mugzi got it from Chucky. I take Mugzi outside on a harness a lot and there are squirrels all around. Jack did a fecal on him in February and he was clean then so who knows. Mugz is getting fat on Boo's nummy nutballs! (did I get that right yet Julie???)

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    Mugz is getting fat on Boo's nummy nutballs! (did I get that right yet Julie???)

YAY!

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by momma2boo
    Kath, I am so glad that Jack is still able to help many of the members of TSB. Many a squirrel will continue to be saved/healed because of his expertise.
    PBJ (jack) has been very generous with his knowledge and time and resources.
    He is absolutely dedicated to saving the lives of many species of animals but I think squirrels are on the top of his list by far.

I have so few resources in the state of Illinois that I readily welcome his help regardless of the controversy .
    I never saw that part.
    I don't go looking for it either.
    I came here for the knowledge
    He is a very valuable resource.
    I count TOMO(Alexandra) in there along with Chicago Kim, Nancy In Ny Crittermom, Island Rehabber, etc.
    You have ALL helped immensely and continue to help
    This boards greatest resource is the sum total of it's brain power and compassion.

He is absolutely dedicated to saving the lives of many species of animals but I think squirrels are on the top of his list by far.

I have so few resources in the state of Illinois that I readily welcome his help regardless of the controversy .
    I never saw that part.
    I count TOMO(Alexandra) in there along with Chicago Kim, Nancy In Ny Crittermom, Island Rehabber, etc.
    This boards greatest resource is the sum total of it's brain power and compassion.
    Such a nice acknowledgment....thank you.. We are all here for you...

Andrew I have been reading and crying on the sideline now they are tears of Joy .I am so glad everything is working out real good.Thank God so many of you have pulled together to help.You Are all AMAZING. I feel so inadequate.I don't know squat,I guess I know just enough to be of danger to my Squirrels,but now I know where to go to get help.Thank You .May God Bless and Keep all of you and yours safe.I am so Blessed because its not illegal to have a squirrel in Florida as long as its not a red one,and I have a Vet who loves them almost as much as me.
    Quote: "All Creatures Big and Small,"All Things Bright and Beautiful" ,"All Things Wise and Wonderful" and, "The Lord God Made Them All" By James Herriot

I never saw that part.
    I would also like to personally thank Jackie in Tampa who relieved me this particular night from 9:00 pm until 2:00 am and stayed up continually with Andrew pushing the fluids....
    And Andrew your commitment and love for little Chuck did not go unnoticed by anyone of us...you are one heck of a squirrel daddy...and Chuck is one lucky little squirrel...

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    I would also like to personally thank Jackie in Tampa who relieved me this particular night from 9:00 pm until 2:00 am and stayed up continually with Andrew pushing the fluids....
    And Andrew your commitment and love for little Chuck did not go unnoticed by anyone of us...you are one heck of a squirrel daddy...and Chuck is one lucky little squirrel...
    OOOF! How could i miss that one!
    Spank me!!!
    I went to bed realizing that ETC did not cover Jackie. Be gentle ok?

Woke up this am with to a little furry face staring at me. i went to bed that way too.
    Chucky the stalker!
    He's doing what we do to him staring at him in his nest box.
    We played last night while I had my foot propped up packed in frozen veg.
    Tripped and torqued the bum ankle again.
    Chucky is begging to get out now...chewing the bars.
    This is good
    Taking Nelly and Zinnia in to the vet for fecals @ 10 and will ask for Albon or Baycox for squirrels as well. Coccidia is species specific so we'll see what she has to say. She does not treat squirrels and caught heck from her partner/husband for seeing Mugzi the first time.
    We'll see what the good Dr says. She knows I have A squirrel.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

TY NIN..
    Is Chuck getting ABs yet?
    a week ago they were suggested in post 112-115.
    hoping Mugz has Chuck started on them!
    I am proud of Andrew to rescue and recognize that Chuck needed help from outside!

albon is not good and do not use it..
    it has less than 50% succsess rate....
    PLease use SMZ-TMP...is Jack sending some?
    If you cannot get any, can you please ask on the board so Chuck can get well! Thank you!

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    TY NIN..
    Is Chuck getting ABs yet?
    a week ago they were suggested in post 112-115.
    hoping Mugz has Chuck started on them!
    I am proud of Andrew to rescue and recognize that Chuck needed help from outside!
    I'll consider that my spanking Jackie
    Abs were not indicated at the time.
    Not for a possible poisoning w/ kidney dysfunction.
    Here in Illinois we can't just take a squirrel to the vet and that's the only place I can get Abs. Andrew and I had a long conversation over what to do. If I took Chuck to rehab he may have been put down. Too nebulous of a n option. In my hands Andrew and his parents felt Chucky had more alternatives for survival.
    Once I got him through the critical phase in the first 12 hours I realized that something else was going on. Jack ran a fecal and found Chucky to be LOADED w/ Coccidia which may be contributing to his poor health.
    I will treat him for The Coccidia ASAP and see if that helps his apparent anemia. I will then find a way to do bloodwork...and no it's not crazy for me to do it. I was a Medical Asst while going premed...long story not for this thread.
    On ward and upward, tally Ho and all that Rot!!!

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    albon is not good and do not use it..
    it has less than 50% succsess rate....
    PLease use SMZ-TMP...is Jack sending some?
    If you cannot get any, can you please ask on the board so Chuck can get well! Thank you!
    I'll see what I can get here today Jackie I promise you I am working on it. Chucky is doing better daily but I am not letting my guard down on it. If he really goes downhill I would take him to Willowbrook of FoxValley. I have other options untapped as well.
    Canine vet, large animal vet friend, Chicago Kim, TSB....that order
    If I can't get the right stuff today or tomorrow I will make a request via TSB.

In chucks best interest...do not draw blood from this sq with out a vet...period...
    I will bet that he will be fine once he has SMZ_TMP treatment...
    I doubt he was ever poisoned ..his symptoms were so classic...
    I DO HAVE VETS and have been doing sqs for years...my sq friendly and very knowledgable vets opt to not draw blood and especially without iso and only when it is a life and death situation OR all other possibilities have been ruled out......
    please do not let Chuck be an instrument of 'I told you so...lalolly la la!..
    that ain't cool...just get him the meds and get him back to andrew...
    Thank you for being there for him, but you should have spoke up and listened to all advise...not just one persons...that could have killed chuck...
    you see I am really about sqs ...could care less whos friends and whos not...that's child games!
    LONG LIVE CHUCK!
    please before anymore time passes...get him SMZ_TMP please...
    just ask for it...someone will send it...that is what we do here on TSB...save sqs...and let the social clubs exchange friends!
    TSB has been helping sqs and has a really good strong team...

too many years experience on TSB...

mugzeezma Guest

Jackie Please Please Please
    i am not being cocky, cliquish whatever...
    Chuck is not my experiment
    I adore him as I do my own.
    I have resources but I have to go through hoops.
    If Chuck were critical you better believe that I will jump through hoops to save him.
    I am about the squirrel too
    i will PM my #
    please
    let's talk okay?

momma2boo Guest

Mugzi, I have Sulfatrim (SMZ-TMP). If you want it it is all yours. I can ship it to you. Let me know. There may also be some rehabbers closer to you that have it as well.

You will however need to ask Jack about the dosage based on Chucky's weight.

Keep up the good work, Kath.

You are a brave young woman to even consider drawing blood on something that small. I was a phlebotomist. I know how tough sq skin is ... remember? I had to give Boo injections. It AINT easy! I wouldn't do it just because of nerves. Heck, I couldn't draw my own daughter's blood when she wouldn't let the nurses at her when she was little. Let's just hope you don't [B]have[B] to attempt it. My armpits are sweating for you just contemplating it.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by momma2boo
    Mugzi, I have Sulfatrim (SMZ-TMP). If you want it it is all yours. I can ship it to you. Let me know. There may also be some rehabbers closer to you that have it as well.

You will however need to ask Jack about the dosage based on Chucky's weight.

Keep up the good work, Kath.

You are a brave young woman to even consider drawing blood on something that small. I was a phlebotomist. I know how tough sq skin is ... remember? I had to give Boo injections. It AINT easy! I wouldn't do it just because of nerves. Heck, I couldn't draw my own daughter's blood when she wouldn't let the nurses at her when she was little. Let's just hope you don't [B]have[B] to attempt it. My armpits are sweating for you just contemplating it.
    The subQ was really no big deal to me and I'm good at darts but this is a different ballgame girl. I really really don't want to do it as i have said MANY MANY times but if I have to I want to know what I'm doing way ahead of time.
    I took Nelly to the vet for her Lymes and heartworm testing and spent almost $200 so I could get a dollars worth ofSMZ-TMP for my squirrel.
    Timing is every thing! LOL
    Thanks Nelly for letting that mean old DR stick you
    She's such a sweet girl
    DOSAGE
    i have 960mg tabs
    What do i do next?
    suspend in how many mls and give how much?

mpetys Guest

How is Chuck?

Quote Originally Posted by mpetys
    How is Chuck?
    Chuckys much better. He's on his meds for coccidia.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Katfish92
    Hi my name is Andrew. I have a squirrel named Chuck who I have had for about 7 months.he looks and acts very healthy and has a diet of rodent blocks, veggies, fruits, and nuts for treats. However since this morning he has been lethargic and has been asleep for most of the day. He has vomited a few times and it is clear with a red tint to it so I think there might be blood in it. He has walked around a little but spends most of his time curled in a ball with his eyes half closed. He has eaten very little but has been drinking a lot of water. I have called all the exotic vets in the area but they will not see him because I don't have a license. The only way for him to get medical care is if I take him to the local rehab place tomorrow. I don't know what is wrong with him and I don't want him to die. If anyone could help that would be great.
    Well, Chucky didn't die and He's on his way to being released. Jack has been immensely helpful in this process by doing the fecal testing for both Chucky and Mugzi.
    He just did another test that Chucky came up positive on Coccidia for so Chucky is back on SMZ-TMP for 7 days(many thanks to Nancy in NY for connections )
    While Chucky is wiry he is a good eater. I bake the HHB recipe and Boo's Nummy Nutball's and he is doing very very well.
    Andrew made the decision to allow me to release Chucky. We are building the release pen (4x8x8) at this writing.
    I'm hoping it's up by the end of the week.
    He and Mugzi has been sharing the house but not really interacting as I would have liked. They are civil enough but Mugzi is definitely the king here. there have been some very minor paw slaps and some play chasing but that's about it.
    Chucky is handled as little as possible but I really do need to resist him when he jumps on my lap and looks at me with those huge doe eyes of his. He is so very dear to us

Yay!! Great news!

Thanks for all your hard work, Mugz! And thanks to Andrew for caring for Chuck and making some hard decisions.

Nice, guys!!

Kim

yeah Chuck!
    Andrew!!!!!!
    I learned from experience....if the first treatment of SMZ-TMP for positive cochidia...doesn't work,
    the second treatment should be 10 days, per DVM.
    THANKS FOR THE UPDATE...

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast