Thread: upChucky's UP!

Hybrid View

Default upChucky's UP!

Hi my name is Andrew. I have a squirrel named Chuck who I have had for about 7 months.he looks and acts very healthy and has a diet of rodent blocks, veggies, fruits, and nuts for treats. However since this morning he has been lethargic and has been asleep for most of the day. He has vomited a few times and it is clear with a red tint to it so I think there might be blood in it. He has walked around a little but spends most of his time curled in a ball with his eyes half closed. He has eaten very little but has been drinking a lot of water. I have called all the exotic vets in the area but they will not see him because I don't have a license. The only way for him to get medical care is if I take him to the local rehab place tomorrow. I don't know what is wrong with him and I don't want him to die. If anyone could help that would be great.

Default Re: Chuck is very sick and vomiting

Can you tell us what the last thing was that he ate and also where you are located? Someone may be able to hook you up with a vet or rehabber who could help you faster.

I am from Aurora Il. He has eaten less than usual the past couple days but the last he ate was some apple, some avacado, and a little lettuce. I also gave him some waxworms the other day as I heard they have protein so maybe those are the problem?

Can you give us the entire history of his symptoms? When you first noticed he wasn't feeling well? Also the last thing he ate before he starting getting sick. Is there any chance he got into some kind of chemicals at your house? Ant or roach baits, or something like that?
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

he hasn't eaten his rodent blocks for the past few days. Yesterday he wouldn't eat anything except for some apple and the waxworms. As far as I know the last he ate was a piece of apple. I don't have any houseplants, bug poison, or anything like that. This morning he stayed in bed and was vomiting every couple hours although he hasn't for a few hours now. This afternoon he drank a lot of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Katfish92
    he hasn't eaten his rodent blocks for the past few days. Yesterday he wouldn't eat anything except for some apple and the waxworms. As far as I know the last he ate was a piece of apple. I don't have any houseplants, bug poison, or anything like that. This morning he stayed in bed and was vomiting every couple hours although he hasn't for a few hours now. This afternoon he drank a lot of water.
    I am going to pm a number for you to call and explain the problem to...please keep us posted...

Any chance he got overheated during the last few days?

Have you brought any leaves, branches, or foods from outside?

Do you have any nuts or acorns stored in the house that you feed him?

What kind of rodent block?

Do you feed any other kinds of supplements?

Do you wash your fruits/veggies before feeding?
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

mugzeezma Guest

Default Re: upChucky's UP!

Quote Originally Posted by Katfish92
    Hi my name is Andrew. I have a squirrel named Chuck who I have had for about 7 months.he looks and acts very healthy and has a diet of rodent blocks, veggies, fruits, and nuts for treats. However since this morning he has been lethargic and has been asleep for most of the day. He has vomited a few times and it is clear with a red tint to it so I think there might be blood in it. He has walked around a little but spends most of his time curled in a ball with his eyes half closed. He has eaten very little but has been drinking a lot of water. I have called all the exotic vets in the area but they will not see him because I don't have a license. The only way for him to get medical care is if I take him to the local rehab place tomorrow. I don't know what is wrong with him and I don't want him to die. If anyone could help that would be great.
    Well, Chucky didn't die and He's on his way to being released. Jack has been immensely helpful in this process by doing the fecal testing for both Chucky and Mugzi.
    He just did another test that Chucky came up positive on Coccidia for so Chucky is back on SMZ-TMP for 7 days(many thanks to Nancy in NY for connections )
    While Chucky is wiry he is a good eater. I bake the HHB recipe and Boo's Nummy Nutball's and he is doing very very well.
    Andrew made the decision to allow me to release Chucky. We are building the release pen (4x8x8) at this writing.
    I'm hoping it's up by the end of the week.
    He and Mugzi has been sharing the house but not really interacting as I would have liked. They are civil enough but Mugzi is definitely the king here. there have been some very minor paw slaps and some play chasing but that's about it.
    Chucky is handled as little as possible but I really do need to resist him when he jumps on my lap and looks at me with those huge doe eyes of his. He is so very dear to us

Yay!! Great news!

Thanks for all your hard work, Mugz! And thanks to Andrew for caring for Chuck and making some hard decisions.

Nice, guys!!

Kim

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoKim
    Yay!! Great news!

Thanks for all your hard work, Mugz! And thanks to Andrew for caring for Chuck and making some hard decisions.

Nice, guys!!

Kim
    Couldn't have done it without you Kim! You picked up all the supplies... syringes, needles, ringers, nestbox, and most off all compassion and experience. I hope you get a chance to come out and see the cage!
    I really hope it's big enough for BOTH the boys to get along in.
    I'm slowly acclimating them to the heat right now. Mugzi will remain an NR and come in everynight. Chucky will too at first....if I can catch him!!!

mpetys Guest

Thanks for the update. I have been following Chucky's story and look forward to getting updates through his release. Thank you for the care you have given Chucky.

Michele in Tampa

Well this is certainly an uplifting story...I am just so happy with the way that this turned out...
    If anyone forgets...this was the first picture of Chucky that was put up...
    Boy somebody pulled a miracle with this little squirrel....

Name:  GetAttachment.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  23.7 KB

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

yeah Chuck!
    Andrew!!!!!!
    I learned from experience....if the first treatment of SMZ-TMP for positive cochidia...doesn't work,
    the second treatment should be 10 days, per DVM.
    THANKS FOR THE UPDATE...