Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP FAST!! Squirrel Seizures Bad!!

squirlymomma Guest

Default Re: HELP FAST!! Squirrel Seizures Bad!!

To live without loving a squirrel is not living at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by squirlymomma
    get some calcium into the baby - this link will tell you what you need to know for getting calcium into the baby - and quickly http://www.squirreltales.org/#Section-H
    DON'T give the baby scalded milk AT ALL!

The lady that has this sight has helped me tremendously in raising my baby Oscar - among other people on this board and other rehabbers. I am praying for you and your little one
    Squirlymomma

GhosTS Guest

How is Chachi now scottmunoz.Also a note on rabies.Feral animals and strays get rabies more than wild animals.Most of the wild animals get rabies from domestic animals.So a cat or a dog has a very higher possibility to get rabies than a squirrel.

scottmunoz Guest

Default Chachi Update

My husband and I wanted to say thank you to everybody a million times over for all of your help over the past day. All of the info that has been given to us has been so helpful, we are really bummed out that we did not find you guys sooner!! We also want to sorry about the cat situation, we definitely did not know about that. It won't happen again!!! As for our little Chachi, we talked to the vet and relayed all of the info on the calcium deficiency, and they have already started him on the treatment. He is stable right now and has a very good appetite. He has not had a seizure since we took him in, thank goodness. We will keep you informed. I am also curious and very undecided as to whether we should keep him and rehab him ourselves or hand him over to somebody else? It is such a tough decision since we have bonded with our little guy so much over the past few weeks. Any sugesstions??
    Thanks again!!

Hey Scott, how is the little guy's paralysis situation? (I'm just a squirrel lover, not a rehabber). I sure hope he'll be O.K.

Since they did not pertain to a Life Threatening Emergency Situation, I have moved the remainder of posts from this Thread to "General Squirrel Discussions" Forum, under the Thread "Releasing and Nest-Building".
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Kebby Guest

Unhappy Re: HELP FAST!! Squirrel Seizures Bad!!

I am sorry to hear about your baby having seizures. Also sorry to say my baby, 3 1/2 months old had a seizure and passed away this afternoon before I could get her to the vet. She was my 8th one and this is the first time I've ever lost one. She will definitely be missed.
    Kebby

Kebby
    to TSB
    Sorry to hear about your baby. Do you know if he had head trauma? Was he getting adequate calcium in his diet? Sorry for the questions but seizures are often caused by these problems.

I'm glad you found us. There is a lot of information here that will help you with your squirrels. I noticed you linked on to a very old thread (2006). Go to the Introduction section and you can start a thread and tell us about your babies. We have a lot of Florida members. Because there are so many FL members, help is usually pretty close for emergencies.

Again, sorry about your baby..... and welcome.

ChiefRunEmUp Guest

Mine has had seizures as well. He suddenly dropped and convulsed violently leaving him paralyzed for nearly 30 minutes. Would this be any explanation as to his extreme behavior change? it is truly heartbreaking. I need help. His behavior has pulled a complete 180. I have tried the special lamps, diet change, calcium/D3 supplements, etc. I have not witnessed another occurrence but when I got home from work, his behavior was similar to what I noticed after his first attack. Ever since, he has been so mean. Pierced my ear, three of my fingers, and my nose. WHAT CAN I DO?!

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefRunEmUp
    Mine has had seizures as well. He suddenly dropped and convulsed violently leaving him paralyzed for nearly 30 minutes. Would this be any explanation as to his extreme behavior change? it is truly heartbreaking. I need help. His behavior has pulled a complete 180. I have tried the special lamps, diet change, calcium/D3 supplements, etc. I have not witnessed another occurrence but when I got home from work, his behavior was similar to what I noticed after his first attack. Ever since, he has been so mean. Pierced my ear, three of my fingers, and my nose. WHAT CAN I DO?!

hi: this needs to go in it's own thread so that more people can answer you.

Could you please give us more of a history?

If it is mbd then the calcium needs to be given for a few months and they're never really 'over it' ... they're rebuilding bone tissue and dealing with the damage.

I'm going to begin the new thread in this forum and if admin thinks that it should go else where then they'll move it.....

and all the best.

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

Quote Originally Posted by gs1
    hi: this needs to go in it's own thread so that more people can answer you.

Could you please give us more of a history?

If it is mbd then the calcium needs to be given for a few months and they're never really 'over it' ... they're rebuilding bone tissue and dealing with the damage.

I'm going to begin the new thread in this forum and if admin thinks that it should go else where then they'll move it.....

and all the best.
    ChiefRunEmUp, please go here: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...318#post824318

this is the link to the thread that gs1 started for you.

Thanks again Astra!!! I felt i'd forgotten something....

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

11-d new state bank colony, kanyakumari,tamilnadu

Quote Originally Posted by muffinsquirrel View Post
    I agree with Stacey - it sounds like a calcium deficiency. Please let us know what the vet says as soon as possible. It is a common problem, more common than we would like, but it can usually be 'fixed'. Good Luck.

muffinsquirrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelly View Post
    Please keep us updated as to Chachi's progress. Thank you for caring...
    sir actually my squirrel is having seizures so bad and then the problem is not in calcium but i might have been feeding the squirell with cow milk is it any bad to the squirell or any other problems or causes for the seizures for the squirrel than the mbd

Quote Originally Posted by kathiravan View Post
    sir actually my squirrel is having seizures so bad and then the problem is not in calcium but i might have been feeding the squirell with cow milk is it any bad to the squirell or any other problems or causes for the seizures for the squirrel than the mbd
    Other things can cause seizures besides calcium. Head trauma can cause seizures. We always suspect calcium because it is so common. Cow milk is extremely deficient and will not maintain the squirrel for long. Is this a baby squirrel?

I’m not sure what you have available in your country. Royal Canin puppy formula is a good choice if you can get it. Give us more history and maybe we can help.
    How old?
    How long have you had the squirrel?
    Are the seizures new?
    Anything else that might be helpful?

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Diggie's Friend (09-25-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 4