Thread: Broken wing

Default Broken wing

I'm hoping someone here has avian experience. I have a bird with a broken wing. Looks like some kind of small raptor. I have not been able to identify it yet. It came to us this pm with a broken wing. I work for a vet trauma, but we do not handle avian. I did not want to put this bird down. We taped the wing & it is stable & I have it warm. It is alert. I am taking this on as my personal patient. I also have a feeling if I take this bird tomorrow to the vet that treats avian in this area he may want to put it down. I want to give it a chase.

PBluejay2 Guest

Default Re: Broken wing

Quote Originally Posted by Cheri
    I'm hoping someone here has avian experience. I have a bird with a broken wing. Looks like some kind of small raptor. I have not been able to identify it yet. It came to us this pm with a broken wing. I work for a vet trauma, but we do not handle avian. I did not want to put this bird down. We taped the wing & it is stable & I have it warm. It is alert. I am taking this on as my personal patient. I also have a feeling if I take this bird tomorrow to the vet that treats avian in this area he may want to put it down. I want to give it a chase.
    It all depends onthe break--where it is and how severe. I've worked a little with birds and wing breaks but am no expert. Can you describe the break, its location, and how the bird holds its wing (when not taped, of course)?

Hi...Try the "Starling Talk message board"...it is like this Board but they handle all types of birds...they helped me with an injured sparrow I found. Good Luck!!

I just emailed you their link

When you fan the wing out it is toward the top.

was still holding it up

TY, I will try that link

PBluejay2 Guest

If you don't get what you need, Private Message PRGualt. He's the Assistant Director of the Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge, and they deal with hundreds of bird issues (from songbirds to raptors to shorebirds), including broken wings, each year. I'm sure he'd be happy to advise you.

prgault Guest

Sounds like a radius/ulna break, fixable if not too severe and taped coreectly. Where are you in FL...

P_

prgault Guest

forgot to ask, are you a rehabber? and if this is a raptor do you have whole rodents to feed it?

P_

prgault Guest

Sorry, last time, we have a vet that works miracles with raptor wings...

P_