Thread: cold remedy

luckydoodle Guest

Unhappy cold remedy

Lucky has been what seems like coughing and sneezing for a couple of days. I was wondering if squirrels get colds and what I could do for him if thats what was going on. Otherwise he seems fine very active and wanting to play. Thnx Luckys mom

Default Re: cold remedy

Squirrels can and do get upper respiratory infections. Do you have a squirrel-friendly vet who can take a look at him? Also, check any new scented candles, laundry soap, air fresheners, etc. you may have brought home in the past few days. These can cause coughing and sneezing in squirrels (and humans, too!).
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

luckydoodle Guest

No the vet around here want even look at sugar gliders

I am unable to give any advice, but how is lucky doing?

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

If you cannot find a vet that will help, post a location (state) and someone here may know of a vet who is willing to help or a local rehahber or someone on here who might be able to get meds for you. If it is a URI and ignored it can get worse and become life threatening.

luckydoodle Guest

He seems to be doing fine other than the coughing and sneezing, I've never dealt with an animal as small as him that had a cold. When my mastiff Max would get a cold he would act a lot worse than it really was. But Luckys full of energy. As for the candles and such theres nothing new like that around so I dont think thats it. Can they catch a cold from people that are sick?

luckydoodle Guest

I live in NC. I was told that NC doesnt allow people to have exotic animals therefore the vet wont look at them.

PBluejay2 Guest

Please keep a close eye on him. If you think his symptoms are getting worse, we may need to find a way to get you some antibiotics. Please keep us posted. The sneezing sound is often not much to worry about, but the coughing combined with it sends a flag up (for me, at least).

luckydoodle Guest

Hes not coughing this morning so far that's an improvement. There is an animal supply store that sells antibiotics, but there for dog, cats, horses, etc. Could you perhaps dilute the medicine in his water bottle and administer that way? Just in case he worsens? Right now I think he might be ok. But I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

You don't want to dilute anything in a water bottle. If it tastes different they just may not drink it and then you have more problems, plus you don't know how much of it they actually get.
    Just because you live in a state like that doesn't mean the vets automatically won't see it. You have to call around and ask. You would need to post what antibiotics you are referring to as well.

Are their any rehabbers in NC on here mods?

Quote Originally Posted by ShesASquirrelyGirl

Are their any rehabbers in NC on here mods?
    Yes -- our wonderful Sissy is in NC. I will PM you with her contact info, luckydoodle.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

I now have a female squirrel that is sneezing is there any type over over the counter medication that can be given to her?

This is an 11 year old thread, Lisa. Could you post a new thread in the non emergency section and give us a little background about your squirrel and what is going on? We’re happy to help as best we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    This is an 11 year old thread, Lisa. Could you post a new thread in the non emergency section and give us a little background about your squirrel and what is going on? We’re happy to help as best we can.
    Trying to figure out how to do that