Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My blocks were a disaster.........again!

Default Re: My blocks were a disaster.........again!

Quote Originally Posted by chickoo
    so, again, a dumb question - 225 deg farenheit would be ??? centigrade

107 degrees centigrade.

thanks crittermom!...........thats way lower than what i was baking at........

yes, jackie, as far as baking is concerned, im definitely sailing on the same boat

by the way, guys, is there any way i can fatten chickoo up a bit for the (harsh and freezing) indian winter?............she's been looking a little lean lately

pssst.........more importantly, should i???

Does Chicoo live outside?

Will she eat avocado? That would be a good, healthy, fattening choice.

nope, chickoo is an indoor squirrel...........and i have never seen an avocado in my life ...........i dont think its native to india........

4S, do you think the nutrients in my blocks survived the HOT baking??? (i baked at 150 degrees centigrade)..........if not, should i throw out the whole lot and bake fresh??..........ironically, chickoo is eating this batch with great gusto

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

oh boy, I cannot answer about the over heating, but that would be my luck too!

4S, do you think the nutrients in my blocks survived the HOT baking??? (i baked at 150 degrees centigrade)..........if not, should i throw out the whole lot and bake fresh??..........ironically, chickoo is eating this batch with great gusto
    A lot of the nutrients would be okay. At least you baked them for only a short time. I think the most important thing is to get her eating them. Sounds like she likes hers extra-crunchy!
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

yup, baked for about 15 min, and then kept on "warm" setting which is 60 degrees centigrade for about half an hour...........will do it right next time

does anyone have any suggestions whether chickoo needs to be fattened up?...............and if so, how to do it?..........she seems healthy otherwise, just that i can feel her spine and ribs when i stroke her.............is this normal?...........i struggled so hard to get her on the healthy diet, i dont want to spoil it by giving her treats to fatten her up.............by the way, she grabbed her new fleece bits and moved into a new nest yesterday...........poor baby must be cold..........but winter is almost over here, and afternoons are really sunny, so she cant be that uncomfortable, right?

crittermom, i have tried all kinds of "glop" and "goo" with chickoo, but she's a fusspot...........
    who would have thought chickoo would one day make me "swallow" my words??.............i actually found a "goo" that she likes!!!....... .....i was tired of watching her go to sleep hungry after turning her nose up at her veggies, so i made a fancy squirrel salad...............with finely chopped cucumber, green beans and carrot (cooked)...............plus (and here's the clincher) a drop of mayonnaise and a drop of tomato ketchup..............she LOVED it!!!.............never seen her eat veggies this FAST

so, going by chickoo's track record for making unhealthy food choices, im waiting for someone to tell me ketchup and mayonnaise are bad for her..............fingers crossed!!!

Please forgive me for this digression but I travel to India every year or two and am wondering--what kind of squirrel is Chickoo? I think the most interesting squirrels I ever saw are in India. they have the coloring of chipmunks-including the stripes--and ear tufts. Beautiful and BIG.

does anyone have any suggestions whether chickoo needs to be fattened up?...............and if so, how to do it?..........she seems healthy otherwise, just that i can feel her spine and ribs when i stroke her.............is this normal?...........i struggled so hard to get her on the healthy diet, i dont want to spoil it by giving her treats to fatten her up.............by the way, she grabbed her new fleece bits and moved into a new nest yesterday...........poor baby must be cold..........but winter is almost over here, and afternoons are really sunny, so she cant be that uncomfortable, right?
    I would fatten her up with healthy foods, not treats. Being a little hungry will encourage her to eat the good stuff.

I doubt she's cold; squirrels are very well adapted to cold weather. Nest-moving is very normal, especially for a female.
    Henry's Healthy Pets

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs
    Please forgive me for this digression but I travel to India every year or two and am wondering--what kind of squirrel is Chickoo? I think the most interesting squirrels I ever saw are in India. they have the coloring of chipmunks-including the stripes--and ear tufts. Beautiful and BIG.
    your digression is welcome...........as is your interest in chickoo!!..........chickoo is a three-striped indian palm squirrel (Funambulus palmarum)..........found all over india, and pretty much considered a pest (sorry, but its true) in cities and homes...........you will find these squirrels in trees everywhere (you hardly need to even look for them), on terraces, ac vents, pigeon holes, attics...............which part of india do you usually travel to?.........

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    I would fatten her up with healthy foods, not treats. Being a little hungry will encourage her to eat the good stuff.

I doubt she's cold; squirrels are very well adapted to cold weather. Nest-moving is very normal, especially for a female.
    you're right 4S, she changes her nest frequently..........particularly when i mess up her current one to clean or change bedding.........im sure the squirrel that likes clean bedding is a rare species

what healthy foods would you suggest for fattening her up?..........crittermom suggested avocado, but i havent been able to find that in shops here...........

what healthy foods would you suggest for fattening her up?..........crittermom suggested avocado, but i havent been able to find that in shops here...........
    She should put on some healthy weight by eating the blocks. You could even add a drop of vegetable oil to her block to increase fat content. Avocado is an excellent food to add fat, as it is low carb too. But I guess that's a New World fruit. I think you have to use her own tastes as a starting point. For example, if she likes banana, you can feed that (at the end of the day). Blocks first, then veggies, then healthy treats.
    Henry's Healthy Pets

your digression is welcome...........as is your interest in chickoo!!..........chickoo is a three-striped indian palm squirrel (Funambulus palmarum)..........found all over india, and pretty much considered a pest (sorry, but its true) in cities and homes...........you will find these squirrels in trees everywhere (you hardly need to even look for them), on terraces, ac vents, pigeon holes, attics...............which part of india do you usually travel to?.........

And that would be the squirrels I fell in love with. I guess they're the Eastern Gray Squirrels (also considered pests) of Asia. I love the little guys. Have you had Chickoo since she was a pinkie? We go wherever my husband lectures. His field is Consciousness Studies. So far we go to Delhi, Pune, Banglore, Calcutta, Shimla, Darjeeling and points in between. We were supposed to be in Calcutta just recently for a conference at the Ramakrishna Institute of Culture. I had some surgery and that kinda killed our trip--sad because we have a dear friend that we can only see when we go to India. He's a Nyayaka and won't come see us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs
    And that would be the squirrels I fell in love with. I guess they're the Eastern Gray Squirrels (also considered pests) of Asia. I love the little guys. Have you had Chickoo since she was a pinkie? We go wherever my husband lectures. His field is Consciousness Studies. So far we go to Delhi, Pune, Banglore, Calcutta, Shimla, Darjeeling and points in between. We were supposed to be in Calcutta just recently for a conference at the Ramakrishna Institute of Culture. I had some surgery and that kinda killed our trip--sad because we have a dear friend that we can only see when we go to India. He's a Nyayaka and won't come see us.
    oh thats wonderful...........i live in bangalore..........i've had chickoo since she was about 6-8 weeks old..........she was found wandering around one of the hostels in the campus where i lived and studied for three years..........the boys who found her couldnt feed her anything cos she was still nursing, and didnt know how to eat solids.........they never did find the mother, and chickoo just wound up with me since then............she took formula for about 3 months with me, and then she just grew up into a full-grown adult BRAT ...........and thats how i found TSB - with all my issues with chickoo - when she once escaped, when she stopped eating, when she went into estrus for the first time, etc etc..............

She should put on some healthy weight by eating the blocks. You could even add a drop of vegetable oil to her block to increase fat content. Avocado is an excellent food to add fat, as it is low carb too. But I guess that's a New World fruit. I think you have to use her own tastes as a starting point. For example, if she likes banana, you can feed that (at the end of the day). Blocks first, then veggies, then healthy treats.
    ok, will do that then.........adding a bit of vegetable oil to the blocks will make them a whole lot more palatable for our fussy eater............and she loves bananas........

what bout the mayonnaise?............can i give that to her occasionally?..........she actually finished her veggies with it...........i was stunned!!!..............who would have ever thought a squirrel would like mayonniase???............that also makes me wonder if she is choosing high-fat foods because she needs them???

.that also makes me wonder if she is choosing high-fat foods because she needs them???
    It's possible! I'd rather see you put a little mayonnaise on her veggies than something sweet. At least mayonnaise is low carb.
    Henry's Healthy Pets

oh thats wonderful...........i live in bangalore..........i've had chickoo since she was about 6-8 weeks old..........she was found wandering around one of the hostels in the campus where i lived and studied for three years..........the boys who found her couldnt feed her anything cos she was still nursing, and didnt know how to eat solids.........they never did find the mother, and chickoo just wound up with me since then............she took formula for about 3 months with me, and then she just grew up into a full-grown adult BRAT ...........and thats how i found TSB - with all my issues with chickoo - when she once escaped, when she stopped eating, when she went into estrus for the first time, etc etc..............
    Chickoo is older than Kibbles (my brat) so I'll probably be asking you questions come spring when she has a bad case of SMS (Squirrel menstrual syndrome). We were in Bangalore a year ago--in June--VERY nice town and not so dad-burn HOT! We have a friend there who works for SVYASA. We had hoped to see him this January. Oh well--next time. TSB is SUCH a wonderful resource for us "brat" lovers. Have you read about some of the heroic rescues these folks have done? Too many people talk about caring--these folks really DO!

It's possible! I'd rather see you put a little mayonnaise on her veggies than something sweet. At least mayonnaise is low carb.
    I KNOW!!............my thoughts exactly..........thanks 4S!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast