Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Oliver, Tim, & Kit - Abandoned Geckos

Default Oliver, Tim, & Kit - Abandoned Geckos

Neighbor on the other side of Helen's house (Lady & Viv's mommie) saw a teenager leave a small container on top of garbage. Today is pick-up day. She went out there, knew it was a lizard & called me. I have him. Googled & he's a Leopard Gecko. I put him in a large glass bowl. He's having trouble breathing. My vet doesn't get in until 1PM. Put a heating pad under bowl to help him. What else can I do until I can take him to vet? Pls. Help. Thanks.

Default Re: Sick Gecko Abandoned

Katherine…can you call another exotics vet just for suggestions? I have no clue what to do…sorry.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

ask loopy

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    ask loopy
    Jackie: Already PM'd Loopy.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine
    Jackie: Already PM'd Loopy.
    well of course you did...who else would we ask about a lizard...omg!
    and her son Troy, he has helped surgically remove a snake eye...
    A crazy pair!
    Tim and Tyler are almost normal

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    well of course you did...who else would we ask about a lizard...omg!
    and her son Troy, he has helped surgically remove a snake eye...
    A crazy pair!
    Tim and Tyler are almost normal

Called another vet that a friend uses. He gets in at 12:30. Vet. assistant said to put a little baggie w/hot water next tohim in bowl, along with the heating pad I put under. She said this is like a hot water bottle next to him. Told me to get there at noon. Vet is usually early & will see him as emergency.

Poor lil' guy..... Here's what a Leopard Gecko looks like:
    Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 338
Size:  7.7 KB
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Katherine seems to have herp karma.......
    Seriously I hope the little guy will be ok!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    Poor lil' guy..... Here's what a Leopard Gecko looks like:
    Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 338
Size:  7.7 KB
    That's him. I know a heat lamp would help but i only have the one for Tommy. I did put him under a regular 75watt bulb. Figured it can't hurt. Can always get heat lamp with other supplies after vet. Friend is coming after to take me. Hope he makes it. His breathing not good. He must be frozen.

Loopy Squirrel Guest

K, I sthere any snot coming out of his nose? Are the nostrils clear? You could either boil some water and hold him over the steam covered w/ a towel to hold in the steam or bring him into the bathroom and run a hot shower. It will help to open his airways until you can get him to the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy Squirrel
    K, I sthere any snot coming out of his nose? Are the nostrils clear?
    Yes, snot out of nose, nostrils not clear

Loopy Squirrel Guest

Try to clean as much as you can w/ a warm damp wash cloth. You may need to pick it out of his nose to clear the passages. Then you can drop one drop of a saline water solution into each nostril to try to dry up and shrink his nasal passages. Use only one small drop w/ a 1cc syringe or a small eye dropper if you have one. Hold him level and try to let the drop roll back into his nose. Go very slowly, one tiny drop in each nostril. If he is gapping breathing then just worry about clearing the nasal passages w/ wash cloth. The saline solution is 1cup warm water to 1/2 tsp salt.

Loopy Squirrel Guest

You can put a towel in the microwave to warm it up and hold him in it while you clean his nose to keep him warm.

Try to clean as much as you can w/ a warm damp wash cloth. You may need to pick it out of his nose to clear the passages. Then you can drop one drop of a saline water solution into each nostril to try to dry up and shrink his nasal passages. Use only one small drop w/ a 1cc syringe or a small eye dropper if you have one. Hold him level and try to let the drop roll back into his nose. Go very slowly, one drop in each nostril. If he is gapping breathing then just worry about clearing the nasal passages w/ wash cloth. The saline solution is 1cup warm water to 1/2 tsp salt.
    As I'm cleaning out with cloth, more drips out. Do I still use the saline. or will it come out too. I do have 1cc solutions.. This is pneumonia, isn't it. The vet I'm taking him to, has general prctice, but sub spec in reptiles. What antibiooitc shoud he give me. Want to know from you first, bec I know from Tommy, you are the expert

Don't have microwave but put towel on another heating pad to warm up. Am trying syringe now.

Left nostril took drop from syringe. Right nostril, just rolled out. He's very still so it's easy to try to put drops in. Will try right side again.

Loopy Squirrel Guest

You can actually use the syringe to suck out the excess mucus. Try that before you try the saline drops because if he has a lot of mucus you can push it back into his throat/lungs.

You can actually use the syringe to suck out the excess mucus. Try that before you try the saline drops because if he has a lot of mucus you can push it back into his throat/lungs.
    Since left nostril took drop, should i keep on w/syring there & just try to suck out of right. I know this would probably hurt him, how does geck show pain

Loopy Squirrel Guest

He may just be blocked on that one side. Just try to clean it out and get the passages open. I would try to suck it out if it is liquidy but if it is sticky and solid then pick it out w/ something like tweezers. Just be careful not to dig at it so you don't hurt his nose. Reptiles usually show pain by squirming and trying to pull away from you. I bet he is too cold and shocky right now to show any signs of distress.

Loopy Squirrel Guest

If you feel uneasy about sucking it out any further and he is still showing signs of respiratory distress then you can put him in the steamy bathroom. You can also boil the saline water and put him over the steam. I have also boiled vicks vapor rub too to ease breathing. As far as the antibiotic I would go w/ Baytril. See if the vet will give a intramuscular injection before you leave. It absorbs quicker and will give him a boost since most likely he will prepare an oral solution to give to the lizard.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast