Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cindi is sick

Default Re: Cindi is sick

I really can't tell you how important this little one is to me. I'm hoping for the best for her. She is in the most capable hands she can be in and the rest is up to the guardian of all creatures. Again my thanks goes out to all who has concerns for her. She is loved
    Pennys dad --Phil

Aw..we know that you love your little one...you loved her enough to get the best care for her...this is in God's hand and hopefully He can help guide Loopy through this time and heal your little baby...We are all praying for this precious life... And we pray for Loopy to feel our prayers as well and know that she is not alone...we are with you...

Could this little one have parasites?

Loopy Squirrel Guest

Yes, it is possible that she has parasites. She has had ivermectin for the mange and it does paralyze & kill parasites but I am not sure about it killing all of them. She does need to have a fecal done and she is due again for her second dose of ivermectin. I just offered her some ensure and she bolted at me from the box with eyes on fire so I think she's feeling a little better. She took about 7cc, growled, then went back into her box. Thanks everyone for the prayers and concern. This little girl deserves to live after all that she has been through. Phil, I know she is a special girl to you and she has become special to me as well. I will keep trying everything I can.

whopoopwrasse Guest

I've got a question for you loopy...
    You don't have to answer but I was wondering how do you give 7ccs of formula to a squirrel that just want nothing more that to gouge out your eyes or bite off one of your fingers. I've been wondering that for a while now...

Quote Originally Posted by whopoopwrasse
    I've got a question for you loopy...
    You don't have to answer but I was wondering how do you give 7ccs of formula to a squirrel that just want nothing more that to gouge out your eyes or bite off one of your fingers. I've been wondering that for a while now...
    Very carefully.....

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy Squirrel
    Yes, it is possible that she has parasites. She has had ivermectin for the mange and it does paralyze & kill parasites but I am not sure about it killing all of them. She does need to have a fecal done and she is due again for her second dose of ivermectin. I just offered her some ensure and she bolted at me from the box with eyes on fire so I think she's feeling a little better. She took about 7cc, growled, then went back into her box. Thanks everyone for the prayers and concern. This little girl deserves to live after all that she has been through. Phil, I know she is a special girl to you and she has become special to me as well. I will keep trying everything I can.
    Fire in her eyes is good...I have seen them where they are just so lethargic...there just is no life in their eyes...Sending prayers your way Loopy...I know you are doing everything possible with this little one...you do with all your little patients...

Loopy do you have any cell salts? These will often help them hold their hydration better.....or Vital HN, the pre-digested formula? Just thinking of things I use with extreme dehydration/emaciation.....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Loopy Squirrel Guest

Sorry I haven't updated yet. My modem blew up late last night so I lost my internet and my phone. Scared the B-Jesus out of me when it did it. Who knows a squirrel probably peed on it.??? Still don't have my phone but at least I can steal someones wireless for a few. Probably won't have any service until after the weekend. Anyway, Cindi is still hanging in there. She did look better last night when I gave her more fluids. This morning she was back to her nasty self....just kidding. She really is a sweet heart, she's just scared. She has taken formula and fluids throughout today. She is having difficulty feeding her self because she really is too weak to sit up for long and her paws are too weak to hold food. I started her on an antibiotic because of the skin infection and today the lesions are smaller and are starting to dry up. I was a little worried about the possibility of pox because some of the lesions looked suspicious and I am still not 100% convinced it still isn't, but I will just watch her and see. Some of the lesions were scabbed and underneath were full of puss. Some are just very small puss filled and others are bigger and not symetrical. The bigger ones are near the genital/tail area which is a typical place for pox. It's a wait and see situation. I am beginning to think that this maynot be pox since many of the lesions are responding to the antibiotic and drying up, but you never know. Anyway, in response to some of the recent comments, Nancy, I know what you mean about being so weak that there isn't any life in those eyes. With Cindi I do see a lot of life and fight so I am hoping for the best. Whopoopwrasse, I try very hard to keep all fingers and toes inside the cabin! Luckily I don't have to hold this one. Cindi is really good about comming out and smelling what I have. The syringe is just long enough for me to keep my hands away from the mouth. At this point I am faster than she is. And a towel is my best friend! IR, I do have some of the bio cell salts. I had forgotten that Nancy had sent them for me to use when my guys were sick. Now if I can find them...that's a different story.

Loopy Squirrel Guest

Good news, Cindi was very eager to eat tonight. She flew up the minute I touched the box and was ready to eat. She actually sat up through half of the feeding and she took almost 20cc's.

whopoopwrasse Guest

great news!, looks like this little girl is on the road to recovery!

Little did I know the next day after asking my silly question this would happen!

http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/foru...ad.php?t=20790

Loopy Squirrel Guest

I know the feeling. Dale got me the other day through the towel and last year one of the fox squirrels ran up my face and hooked the inside of my nose. I was bleeding for over ten minutes. God love squirrels...little demons!

whopoopwrasse Guest

I know the feeling. Dale got me the other day through the towel and last year one of the fox squirrels ran up my face and hooked the inside of my nose. I was bleeding for over ten minutes. God love squirrels...little demons!
    ouch!, good thing we squirrel wimins aren't whiner babies!!

Loopy Squirrel Guest

I've been scalped by a barred owl too. Never let one out of the carrier at eye level. He was supposed to fly away from me. No, not him, he turned and grabbed my face & head. I have scars to prove it too. Damn animals. Don't they know we are trying to help?

whopoopwrasse Guest

I've been scalped by a barred owl too. Never let one out of the carrier at eye level. He was supposed to fly away from me. No, not him, he turned and grabbed my face & head. I have scars to prove it too. Damn animals. Don't they know we are trying to help?
    Apparently not!!

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

loopy has no internet or phone...technical issue, and since holiday..she won't have access to either until monday...
    she called on DHs cell!

so here is a good update...
    cindi took 20ccs of formula this morning...
    she sat up too
    her small lesions were alarmimg, ...but she has been given antibiotics...
    loopy doesn't think they are pox at this point
    the abs seem to be helping...
    she was also given metacam to help with comfort ...
    so she has a better appetite
    she is still weak but doing better...
    I will keep you posted

thanks for the update, Jackie -- wonderful news about Cindi!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

whopoopwrasse Guest

Loopy Squirrel Guest

Thanks Jackie. I will get on when ever I can access someones wireless. Sorry Sissy, I was going to type you back last night and my wireless connection dropped off and I couldn't get back on till now. Cindi is doing much better. She seems more interested in food and is taking more than before. The antibiotics seems to really be helping by clearing up her lesions. I haven't seen such a badly infected case of mange in a long time. She didn't take as much formula at lunch but I think it's because since she has lost so much weight her stomach capacity isn't as big as it once was so she takes smaller amts. more often and sometimes it seems to take longer to digest it. Her biggest intake times are early morning and right before bed. When she is hungry she is ready to eat and growls & grabs the syringe. I also think the metacam helped as far as her pain. I think she has pain issues because she has lost so much muscle mass and her joints look swollen (mainly her knees). I can tell you she was much faster today after taking the pain meds. If Phil hadn't caught her I don't think she would have survive another day. It was way too cold and she has no fat insulation at all. I'll just keep doing what I am doing and hope for the best.

Can metacam make a squirrel tummy upset ??
    I just had a vomit spree in my house the past week while giving my cat metacam.
    I was just curious if it's the same in a squirrel. I haven't had to administer metacam to a squirrel yet.

Sounds like Cindi is a fighter....good sign!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast