Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: THE ESBILAC ISSUE

Kiki Guest

Default Re: THE ESBILAC ISSUE

So does this issue also apply to Espilac's pre-mixed formula?

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Kiki
    So does this issue also apply to Espilac's pre-mixed formula?
    Yes it does. Also, if you simply MUST use Esbilac (not sure why this would ever happen) the powder is better. Mix it in VERY HOT water and place it in the fridge for 24 hours, THEN when preparing to feed add the yogurt and whipping cream.

Honestly, Fox Valley is MUCH better and it is A LOT cheaper and it smells a heck of a lot better too.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Esbilac changed their formula recipe last year. The original recipe worked for sqs, but the new one can and does kill them. I am sure there are sqs out there that will still live long lives having been raised on Esbilac, but it is NOT worth the risk. FVN is 100x better than Esbilac is, was, or ever will be in my opinion, and on par with cost if not cheaper. Just my 2 cents :-)

~All things bright and beautiful,~
    ~All creatures great and small,~
    ~All things wise and wonderful,~
    ~The Lord God made them all.~
    ~
    ~Each little flower that opens,~
    ~Each little bird that sings,~
    ~He made their glowing colours,~
    ~He made their tiny wings.~

Andrew743 Guest

If anyone is still debating on whether or not to switch to FV from Esbilac. I HIGHLY RECCOMEND THAT YOU GET THE BABIES OFF ESBILAC IMMEDIATELY! I am completely new to this but the changes in bowel movements alone are drastic! The FV is so much easier on their systems, their poop has changed to the size and consistancy of when they first came to me, only difference is the color. NO MORE BLOATING AND NO DIARRHEA! DIARRHEA WILL HAPPEN ON ESBILAC!!! ITS UNAVOIDABLE! I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY!

Good luck to you all! My babies are doing awesome! HUGE IMPROVEMENTS THE MINTUE I TOOK THEM OFF ESBILAC!

~ Andrew

And remember: large wildlife centers and rescue organizations may still use Esbilac for squirrels & bunnies but that DOES NOT MEAN it is a good formula. It means that Pet Ag is still giving HUGE discounts to people who buy in high volume, and I guess money still talks even when babies' lives are at stake.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

After loosing Jojo, I am looking at, researching alot of stuff. If no one minds, I am going to share some things that I have found/or know.
    IR is correct about Esbilac. Here is some more info:
    Esbilac (puppy formula) -- literally thousands of squirrels have died needlessly over the years in the hands of humans because of being fed commercial formulas recommended on those politically-motivated wildlife-group web pages. This particular formula used to take longer than KMR for the harmful effects to set in, although now (and for the last three and a half years, since it has been found to be highly toxic and contaminated), it kills them much quicker, within a day or two. Has egg yolk (unborn chicken) in it, no magnesium, too many alien chemical additives and preservatives, and the ferrous sulfate blocks calcium, leading to broken bones, rickets, nervousness, convulsions, seizures, and sudden, unexpected death.
    The manufacturer of the Puppy Formula has changed the way they manufacture their product. Some of the latest research by an independent Rehab Organization has found some very serious problems with the new product that can cause everything from bowel obstruction, intestinal infections and prolapsed rectums, not to mention some serious malnutrition problems in baby squirrels.
    This new report sheds light on problems experienced by wildlife rehabilitators who fed formula made with Esbilac® powder last year, as well offering suggestions about how they may be able to use it with better results. The research, by Allan and Shirley Casey of Colorado, suggests a decrease in solubility, among other issues, may have caused gastrointestinal and growth problems seen in squirrels, opossums and other wildlife species. 

Esbilac® powder, a milk replacer designed for puppies, is manufactured by PetAg of Hampshire, IL. The powder is commonly used as a base for milk-replacer formulas fed to orphaned wild mammals in rehabilitation, sanctuaries, and zoos. The problems surfaced after the company changed their drying process in December 2008. As a result of the new process, the powder no longer dissolved as easily when mixed with warm water and used immediately.
    The authors found that mixing the powder with very hot water, adding fats and probiotics and letting it sit in the refrigerator for at least four hours before using appears seems to help solve many of the GI problems that resulted in sickly wild mammals last summer. The fats were added to make the formula more closely resemble mother’s milk from squirrels, raccoons and rabbits. The probiotics helped break down milk proteins, making them easier to digest, as well as improve overall digestion and GI health. 

I have some alternatives to this until the 20/50 formula arrives and is really easy to make at home. Proven and very nutrious for squirrels.

Thank you for posting this. Sadly, we have seen many people with squirrels who used this formula and many lost their babies. If you have alternatives, please share. (if you would rather not post openly, you could pm them to me or email me at pappy1264@yahoo.com)
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123