Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEEDING BABY SQUIRRELS

Default Re: FEEDING BABY SQUIRRELS

Perfect. We have our own goats ao this will work.

Our new boy is 20 grams. How much ahould he receive? I read 1 to 2 c.f. every 4 to 5 hours. Also can he skip night feedings?

And quick off topic but can't find answer. If 5 weeka old does he need a heating pad still?
    Tinkerbell~ Southern Flying Squirrel, caught in our house when she was 5-6 weeks old. This was June 3 2011. Now just about a year old.

Feed 5-7% of their body weight. Is your 5 weeker 20 grams? . Give them the heating pad until they don't use it anymore

Hi dark. If yoy look at my post age identifier here you can see photos, can't SHARE on my phone. Long story short friend found brother dead, mother most likely killed by their cat. He is a little skinny but has done a great job eating. So we aren't sure age vut looks 5 weeks or more. Will use heating pad, this one turns off after 2 hours which reeks. Sigh.
    Tinkerbell~ Southern Flying Squirrel, caught in our house when she was 5-6 weeks old. This was June 3 2011. Now just about a year old.

NewSquirrelParents Guest

Hello I'm just wanting to know exactly how I mix the baby puppy powder I was using the liquid can and realized it was the wrong stuff to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Just answered your PM!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

LadyMichel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    In light of the recent problems rehabbers have been experiencing with Fox Valley 32/40 formula in neonate - two-week-old baby squirrels (pinkies), , it has been decided that the best alternative is Esbilac Puppy formula (POWDERED), with Probiotics. The Esbilac should be used for at least the first 3-4 weeks, after which you may leave the baby on Esbilac if it's doing well, transition the baby gradually to a mix of Esbilac and FV 20/50, or go to straight FV 20/50 until weaning. The use of the FV32/40 is not recommended at this time for baby squirrels because of digestive issues, which can and HAVE been fatal in pinkies.

Esbilac powdered puppy formula is easily available in pet stores and Walmarts everywhere. PLEASE do NOT use the canned Esbilac; it is not the same formula as the powder and may cause diarrhea.

Should you need to make another temporary formula (you can find goat milk but no Esbilac), a former member of TSB
    developed this temporary replacement formula recipe:

Jackie's Goat Milk Recipe
    1 cup goats milk
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

Mix well and keep in a covered plastic or glass container in the refrigerator. Replace after 48 hours.
    Is there anyone in here that can give me feedback when how to help rehydrate a baby squirrel and how I will know it's okay to start feeding at the formula

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMichel View Post
    Is there anyone in here that can give me feedback when how to help rehydrate a baby squirrel and how I will know it's okay to start feeding at the formula
    Here is a link that will help you. On the second page is information about hydration. It also gives a homemade hydration fluid recipe.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

Can you post a pic of the baby?

Hi All I am new here. I did put up a current post and picture in the “poop” thread. I have always rehabbed older animals but a week ago I received a call on a baby squirrel with his eyes still closed. I estimated 4 weeks last Tuesday,, and this past Sunday/Monday his eyes opened a day apart. He is about 115 g from his weigh in on Monday- he is eating 6 CC 4 hours apart, no night feeding from midnight till 630 am. Is that too far apart? Should he be eating more? Or not as far apart? Also, does he seem to weigh enough? One thing he does is try to guzzle his formula. I know I am over worrying but I want the best for him. When do I introduce water and, solids? What is recommended as the best starter foods for him? Does anyone put any toys or anything for them to chew on at this age? He is nibbling on fingers and super playful.

Going 6 or 7 hours overnight is okay for eyes opened, healthy baby squirrels.

My healthiest baby squirrels to be well over 100grams when they open their eyes, but greys here are smaller than those in up north and larger than squirrels in places like Florida.

Here is a feeding cheat sheet for the proper feeding amounts:

Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  63.7 KB

Thank you! I am a little concerned as he has been having the “formula poop” but just now he has more of a almost runnier poop. Super soft, I don’t think if it’s quite diarrhea yet- but I don’t want it to get there. Is there any recommendations at this stage? He is acting normal and playful and of course acts like he’s starving. This is the first time I’ve seen this from him. Should he be allowed to play on the floor? I don’t want this to get to diarrhea so he gets sick. Please advise. He was about 115 grams, 5 weeks, and gets 6 CC every 4 hours with 6 ish hours at night of no food now. also, how long can the formula be refrigerated? I made it Tuesday Morning, so maybe it needs to be dumped? We make it with 1 scoop and 2 scoops water as directed still?

Question Re: FEEDING BABY SQUIRRELS

I'm confused by all the feeding options. Hopefully this storm will not bring in babies for me however I want to be prepared.
    What is best to feed pinkies?
    For older but eyes still closed, what is the best to feed?
    I've seen mixing Foxvalley with ultra Boost, can that be with 20/50 or should it be 32/40?

Is using Esbilac safe again, if so should ultra Boost be added🤷
    Thank you 👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

I dont know how to post on here I am new but I think I have 4 pinkies squrrels.. Eyes are still closed..I dont know what to do..I have been taking alittle dog food letting it soak in a little warm powered creamer and small syringe feeding them every two and a half hours.. I dont have money to but stuff so doing the best i can..Can someone give me suggestions please

Dog food is not going to work. Please don’t give them anymore.

Where are you located in Florida? There a many rehabbers throughout the state I can point you towards one of them.

Can you post a picture? Scroll down to under the reply box and you’ll see a small box that says “manage attachments”. Click on it and you can upload a picture from a file or take a new one.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Charley Chuckles (01-02-2022), Lilmoma151820 (01-03-2022), stepnstone (01-02-2022)

Mel1959 is correct: pinky squirrels are extremely delicate and difficult to keep alive; they need special formula and feeding tools or they will die. We can try to get help for you if we know your general area in Florida -- for right now give them NOTHING until we figure out how quickly we can get them into the right hands.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Charley Chuckles (01-02-2022), Mel1959 (01-02-2022), stepnstone (01-02-2022)

. Where do these posters go after they come on here looking for help? I wonder if she couldn’t find her original post since she said she’s new to the forum?

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Lilmoma151820 (01-02-2022), stepnstone (01-02-2022)

I live in Old Town Fl
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Dog food is not going to work. Please don’t give them anymore.

Where are you located in Florida? There a many rehabbers throughout the state I can point you towards one of them. OLD TOWN FL

Can you post a picture? Scroll down to under the reply box and you’ll see a small box that says “manage attachments”. Click on it and you can upload a picture from a file or take a new one.
    old town fla. 32680
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Do those little guys have white toenails or black? The reason I ask is that they look like they may be baby rats instead of squirrels. Baby squirrels have black toenails. Are their eyes open?

If these are baby rats, momma rat may come back and retrieve them at night if they are put back where you found them. It might be worth a shot.

If you are going to raise them you will need a 1cc syringe, no needle. Make sure they are warm and hydrated by placing a heating pad set on low UNDER the bed they’re in and hydrate with water. You can add a little honey to it to make it more desirable. Little rats/mice mature quickly and can be released at 4-5 weeks old. Eyes open at 3 weeks.

You will need to get some POWDERED puppy Esbilac formula and mix it according to directions….1 part powder to 2 parts hot water. Feed 4-5 times a day, 4 hours apart if they are fully furred but don’t have their eyes open, which means they are roughly 2 weeks old.

I’m not familiar with your area, nor do I know of any rehabbers close to you. I will need to research that and locate someone. Please let me know if you still want to hand them off to a rehabber.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Lilmoma151820 (01-03-2022), stepnstone (01-02-2022)

Rats wow okay well doesnt change that Ive grown attached to these little ones..So i got the heating pad under beddingbeen feeding them every 2 to 3 hrs.. I have a quick question. When they are ready to be released will they be able to survive in the wild after being domesticated?

Yes, their natural instinct is the same as a squirrels. They know what to do. The difference is that squirrels don’t get released until they are at least 16 weeks old, so obviously with a human for a much longer period of time, and most all squirrels wild up and want their freedom.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast