Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you determine the sex of flying squirrels?

Default Re: How do you determine the sex of flying squirrels?

Um, you didn't "find" these flyers, you trapped them! They were born free and deserve to live free. Please release them immediately. You had no right to steal them from their families.

That "castle" is the absolute worst idea for an animal habitat I've ever seen. I'm with IR on calling it animal cruelty.

Speaking of which, your poor gray, Pearl, is in a ridiculously small cage. Tree squirrels need space. That poor thing has no vertical space and almost no horizontal space. Multiply the cage size by 10 and you might start getting close to what she actually needs.

Please seriously rethink what you are doing. It is inhumane and unethical at best.
    + =

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?"
    -Gimli, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

You are absolutely right, Ardilla. My heart is breaking to think that is her living space. And the trapping of the flying squirrels....there is NO excuse. And this man seems so PROUD.....I hope he was sent here to see the wrong in what he's doing and that he will do the right thing for them all.

"Animals are such agreeable friends...
    They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

~ George Elliot

What you doing is against Florida law....FL Statute: 68A-4.001 General Prohibitions....No wildlife or freshwater fish or their nests, eggs, young, homes or dens shall be taken, transported, stored, served, bought, sold, or possessed in any manner or quantity at any time except as specifically permitted by these rules.

I'm really sadden by you taking wildlife and then caging it....they will never be happy....what they know is the wild....it's what they were born into and you will never ever get the wild side out of them and in the mean time they will pay the price and most likely become depressed/stress and die. Squirrels require a large cage...the more you have the more space you need. In saying that I hope Pearl doesn't spend much time in that cage as it is not big enough for her unless she is disable in some way which requires her not to climb. I truly hope you reconsider your actions with these flying squirrels and give them the freedom of the wild they were born into. These are not squirrels that needed rehabilitation but taken as healthy individuals...please please give them their birth right....the wild!

Teresa, thank you for finding that information. I was wondering if taking them from the wild like that would be illegal.
    + =

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?"
    -Gimli, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York

This just breaks my heart...do you really think these little creatures of God will be happier in a stainless steel castle...or back in nature...
    To me this is purely for your enjoyment and you aren't thinking about them...so very sad...
    God...watch over these poor babies...
    Yes, its all about YOU, isn't it, squirrelman? Not about the fact that these beautiful little squirrels will never ever soar, never fly, never climb or leap into the beautiful trees again. They will simply huddle together in that cold, horrible metal coffin until that CRAP diet you're feeding them finally kills them.

ARE YOU GETTING MY POINT?

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by Ardilla

Speaking of which, your poor gray, Pearl, is in a ridiculously small cage. Tree squirrels need space. That poor thing has no vertical space and almost no horizontal space. Multiply the cage size by 10 and you might start getting close to what she actually needs.

Please seriously rethink what you are doing. It is inhumane and unethical at best.
    oh yeah, that too.......

I suggest you read this thread
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20251
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

It is ILLEGAL to sell wildlife in the state of FL.

I know economic times are hard, but this is ridiculous.

One can judge their human soul by the way they treat animals. You are not a very nice soul.

We are not a bunch a PETA psychos on here trying to save the world. But any person who RESPECTS animals does not do this to animals....ever.
    [I]An ambassador for squirrels everywhere.[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by philomycus
    It is ILLEGAL to sell wildlife in the state of FL.

I know economic times are hard, but this is ridiculous.

One can judge their human soul by the way they treat animals. You are not a very nice soul.

We are not a bunch a PETA psychos on here trying to save the world. But any person who RESPECTS animals does not do this to animals....ever.

Here, here, Phil! Very aptly put. When and how can we report this?

"Animals are such agreeable friends...
    They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

~ George Elliot

squirrelman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    If you have to put tape on the windows and doors please make sure that they don't stick to it...
    This just breaks my heart...do you really think these little creatures of God will be happier in a stainless steel castle...or back in nature...
    To me this is purely for your enjoyment and you aren't thinking about them...so very sad...
    God...watch over these poor babies...
    It is so very sad that you must not have carefully read and understood. The flying squirrels WILL be back in nature. The castle is OUTSIDE and the flying squirrels will be free to come and go as they please. If they elect to make a nest in the castle, then fine. If not, and they elect to go back to living in a hollow tree, then that is up to them. I will simply be providing the castle and feed for them if they decide to make it their nest. If they elect to make their nest in the OUTSIDE castle, then yes I bought the castle for my own enjoyment in the hopes of watching them live in it IF THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO. Just like everyone else here who has anything to do with squirrels is for their own enjoyment. Because the squirrels got along just fine before man came into their environment. Do you have any pet squirrels Nancy in New York? If you do aren't you having them for your own enjoyment rather than for THEIR enjoyment.

How sad that you insult me without cause and that you obviously cannot read and look at what is an obvious OUTSIDE picture of a castle that will enable the squirrels to come and go as they please......OUTSIDE. It is precisely because of ignorant people who insult people without cause that I do not participate much at internet websites.

squirrelman Guest

Pearl came hopping up to me when she was an unweened baby and jumped on my leg. I saved her life by weening her and protecting her and raising her quite successfully for two years without any insults from anyone here. I guess the NATURAL thing would have been for me to have simply shook her off my leg and let her die wouldn't it? That would have been au natural wouldn't it nature lovers? I should not have taken her in and should have LEFT HER TO THE WILD and whatever NATURAL fate was in store for her shouldn't I? Instead I fed her with an eye dropper with milk and then cherrios in milk and then dry cherrios and peanuts and sunflower seeds along with fruits and veggies. Then I set her up with her own food container and water dispenser and her own safe home, safe from the hawks that fly around my place daily. Safe from the coyote that lives in the woods next door. Safe from the racoon and the owl that stole a half grown cat off my porch. Safe from being squashed by a car. What a horrible person I am. Somebody should get a petition going to have me shot.

I have raised her and taken good care of Pearl for two years. Such animal cruelty I am guilty of. As for suggestions that I release Pearl at her age, THAT WOULD be animal cruelty. I doubt she would last very long on her own and against the predators we have here in the country.

Some people have said I should set up a FEEDER for the flyers. Well.....that is EXACTLY what the castle is. It will make an excellent feeder. It will provide them with an OUTSIDE safe place for them to sleep and eat in where they are free to come and go as they please. They can leave and climb a tree anytime they wish. As for concerns about sharp edges on the castle, wood splinters and our sharp tree bark is more dangerous than the castle is.

It is obvious to me that I am in the wrong place. I thought that I might be among intelligent people here, but what I see is ignorant people who do not pay attention to what I have written and do not pay attention to the pics of the castle that show it to definitely be OUTSIDE where the flyers can come and go as they please....OUTSIDE.

Finally, even though I saved Pearl's life (which was NOT the NATURAL thing to do) and even though I have raised her quite successfully for two years WITHOUT any insults from people here, and even though I am making a really nice OUTSIDE feeder for the flyers, it seems people here are just looking to insult and attack. I have been insulted, attacked and threatened to be reported for animal cruelty. None of which I deserved.

I no longer wish to be among people such as this. It is precisely because of this kind of disgusting HUMAN ANIMAL TO HUMAN ANIMAL CRUELTY that I do not participate in internet sites much anymore. There is always ignorant people who cannot read or retain what is posted, who want to insult, attack and threaten rather than to simply give helpful advise.

So for those ignorant people who did not look at the pic of the castle being OUTSIDE, I do not want to hear their apologies for their ignorantly accusing me of TRAPPING the flyers within a "metal dungeon". Once you have attacked, insulted and threatened me, I do not accept apologies.

Admin, please delete my membership and I will not be posting nor participating at this board in the future.

Squirrelman,

You need to understand where we are coming from. From your original post, it said you captured 3 flying squirrels FROM THE WILD... originally trying to catch the first one with a net!! You have 3 helpless, WILD fliers in a plastic container who are obviously old enough to be out on their own... THEN when you asked how much they are sold for in the state of Florida raised serious and immediate red flags!

Everyone on this board loves squirrels and most (if not all) have dedicated their lives to protecting them, raising them and most of all returning them to the wild where they are the happiest. There are few exceptions to every rule, but absolutely none for the situation of the fliers you have locked in a container. Please let them out ASAP! The stress alone could kill them... do you want that guilt?

As far as Pearl goes, she doesn't even have a nest box that I can see for crying out loud! No fresh branches or pine cones? The rabbit cage is not suitable for an adult squirrel... especially if she has to live there FOREVER.

Your postings just raised red flags all over the place.

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

"The winds of Heaven blow between the ears of a horse"

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelman
    It is so very sad that you must not have carefully read and understood. The flying squirrels WILL be back in nature. The castle is OUTSIDE and the flying squirrels will be free to come and go as they please. If they elect to make a nest in the castle, then fine. If not, and they elect to go back to living in a hollow tree, then that is up to them. I will simply be providing the castle and feed for them if they decide to make it their nest. If they elect to make their nest in the OUTSIDE castle, then yes I bought the castle for my own enjoyment in the hopes of watching them live in it IF THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO. Just like everyone else here who has anything to do with squirrels is for their own enjoyment. Because the squirrels got along just fine before man came into their environment. Do you have any pet squirrels Nancy in New York? If you do aren't you having them for your own enjoyment rather than for THEIR enjoyment.

How sad that you insult me without cause and that you obviously cannot read and look at what is an obvious OUTSIDE picture of a castle that will enable the squirrels to come and go as they please......OUTSIDE. It is precisely because of ignorant people who insult people without cause that I do not participate much at internet websites.

Any insulting that was done here was brought on by yourself and not me. You come to a place where squirrels are loved and cherished, cried over and cared for. Not trapped and held hostage in a stainless steel piece of crap until you break their spirit, or they die...You say a few days perhaps that you will keep them. Why not just leave that out there as a feeder and see how fast they gravitate towards that...it won't happen.
    Do I have a pet squirrel. NO. I have a red squirrel that was cat caught as a pinkie and brought to me. He currently is still with me due to his size and needs to be overwintered. His cage is 4 times that of your grey, he eats a healthy diet, he has vet visits, and so as not to lose his sanity, he is given free run of the house. Is this for my enjoyment? Hell no. I have to watch him constantly, he chews on furniture, has destroyed $400.00 curtains, costs an arm and a leg to feed. I can't go anywhere overnight because there is nobody to watch him. He gets into everything. I love him more than anything...but he will have his freedom in the spring.
    People that do have pet squirrels have them for reasons that I doubt you would understand...they have them because they are non releasable. They either have missing limbs, broken bones that don't heal properly, or have neurological issues. When they take on that responsibility...they change their lives for these squirrels. It is a commitment THEY take seriously. They did not steal them from nature for their enjoyment.
    And your poor little grey...my heart breaks just seeing his cage with not one thing in it to make his life nice. There is no cube, no wood house, no room, no nothing.. Is their even food or water in there? My heart just breaks for anything that comes your way.

Insult people without cause...are you kidding me. Look at what you post...Your poor pathetic little grey that you leave in a cage not fit for a rat, you have preditors there and you leave her with nothing over her cage...do you at least have the decency to bring her in at night? That looks like the most pathetic life she could have. And then you buy a stainless steel castle hoping that your flyers will make it their home after you trap them in it for a few days...
    Flyers... run like the wind and don't look back if he takes the tape off...I bet you any amount if Pearl could do it again...she WOULDN'T.

Fate was very unkind to the creatures in your yard...

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelman
    No time today but tomorrow I am going to finish modifying it and put rags and feed inside it and then I am going to one by one put the flying squirrels inside it and tape all the windows and doors shut except for the one that I put them in. Then when they have settled down and gotten used to the security of being inside it with warm rags and plenty of feed, THEN I am going to take the tape off the doors and windows so they can get out. But by then I am hoping they will remember there is warm rags and food in there and come back and make it their nest. The castle will sit on top of Pearl's double stack rabbit cage when it is all finished.

This is not letting them free regardless of when you might release them, in the meantime they are captive little creatures that you ILLEGALLY took from the wild. What you're doing is capturing and holding them against their will until you see fit that they might choose to use something that you like. They don't need that castle as a nest nor will they ever use it. It's thin and will not retain any heat during the winter months. Tree cavities provide what nature gave them for security and warmth in the winter and to get them out of the weather. They will not use a castle sitting on top of a squirrels cage. All you needed to do from the start is let them have their freedom at night time, but you want us to be happy that they are still in captivity and you want us to be proud that now for x amount of days now they have been captured, confused, scared and stressed. If you put them in that castle you are only going to make it worse...they will not use that castle no matter how much you love the thought....it's a bad idea. They live in large colonies and you have kept them separated from their family...its just sad on so many levels!

Quote Originally Posted by lookmomchickens
    Squirrelman,

You need to understand where we are coming from. From your original post, it said you captured 3 flying squirrels FROM THE WILD... originally trying to catch the first one with a net!! You have 3 helpless, WILD fliers in a plastic container who are obviously old enough to be out on their own... THEN when you asked how much they are sold for in the state of Florida raised serious and immediate red flags!
    Yep, squirrelman, you did say that. If you don't see anything wrong with that, that IS the entire problem.
    [I]An ambassador for squirrels everywhere.[/I]

I want to jump in here. Squirrelman, do me a favor.

Start from your first post and read. You came on here, announced you had trapped some flying squirrels, and wanted to know the going rate to sell them. I can tell you without fear of contradiction that everybody here that read that post gasped with horror as I did when I read it. But instead of jumping all over you, they treated you with EXCRUTIATING kindness, ever so gently trying to nudge you in the right direction. Response after response was like that, and then back you came with your plan to imprison them in a sheet metal box (with tape over the “windows”) in order to force them to bond with the box before setting it up on top of your tree squirrel’s cage. It also gave us a chance to SEE her cage – way to small by a matter of 10, no hiding places, nothing that would count as the barest of needs for a tree squirrel. THAT was when the dam broke as far as honest criticism is concerned.

Your rebuttal is a classic case of false equivalency. We criticize your decision to trap wild animals and imprison them, even for the short term, and let you know the problems with Pearl’s cage, and you question whether we think it would have been better to just let her die when you found her. There is a reason this line of reasoning isn’t allowed in a court of law – it is because it is a load of crap. There isn’t a person on this board who wouldn’t give their squirrels a kidney if need be – if we were walking away from baby squirrels there wouldn’t be a need for the place, now would there?

Look, I don’t doubt that you love Pearl. You are obviously an enterprising guy, and you live in Florida where it is warm. Build her a habitat, for God’s sake, something nice and big that she can bound around in; furnish it with branches and a nice nest box where she can hide and sleep, drape something over part of it so she isn’t so out in the open – creatively designing something they like can be rewarding as hell. She deserves it, and you obviously have the skills to do it.

If you want the flyers to use the “castle”, don’t imprison them in there for even one second – they will NEVER go back in! Set it up near where you found them – where I hope to God you have already released them – and rig a platform around it. If you can set it up so that it gets only dim light, you will be able to secretly watch them at night. You don’t need to imprison them in it – all you need to do is fill it with nuts and food and they will find it in double quick time! There is a member here who has a wonderful thread full of photos of his wild flyers. Don’t put it near Pearl’s cage or on top of it – she sleeps during the night, when they are awake – it would be like having upstairs neighbors partying every night while you try to sleep!

Man up and do what you KNOW is the right thing. You are clearly not a stupid man. This isn’t about you. It is about the squirrels. You know, I would bet that I could get myself into a knock down drag out fight with any number of people on this board on the subject of politics, or religion, or any of a host of other things, but it doesn’t happen, because here, at TSB, it is ALL ABOUT THE SQUIRRELS. It can be an absolutely invaluable resource of information, but you have to be willing to take the ideas and run with them. You should do that.

ON NO!!!!! Say it isn't so...How cruel your intentions are....Yes, a prison is what you are making them...Throw some rags and food in a closet and lock yourself inside it and stay there for a few days...Only then will you be able to feel a little of what you will be putting these babies in... maybe then you will have some remorse about your decision and do the right thing and ...LET THEM BE FREE IN THE WILD AS GOD INTENDED!!!!!!!
    To all my babies past and present..
    Thank you for showing me how to love
    and be loved unconditionally....
    RIP Timothy

Squirrelman, I hope you DO stay with us. Things don't come across on the internet like they do in face to face conversations. I believe that you truly do love Pearl, and only want to do the best for her. And I also know that good information on how to care for a squirrel is not easy to come by. You really do need to make some changes in her care, and I believe that you will make them, when you understand what, and why, those changes are. You have already said that you are going to release the flyers, which is the best thing for them. I would put the castle on a good size feeding platform and put some in-shell pecans, as well as some pecan halves, in the castle and on the platform. There is no reason to keep them in it for a few days - that is just likely to scare them. They are naturally curious creatures, and they are used to coming to Pearl's cage to steal food, so a feeder just for them will be found and used very quickly.
    The predators you have around are not an extreme threat to flyers. Flyers stay in the trees for the most part, so a coyote won't have a lot of chances to get them. Hawks hunt in the daytime, while flyers are sleeping. Raccoons will be more of a problem to nests of baby flyers, but we can tell you what sort of nest box to build to guard against that. Owls could become a problem, since they hunt at night. Snakes are definately a problem at times. And cats are always a big problem to nearly everything!

Stick around, get to know us, and us, you. If everyone keeps their cool, we should be OK. I'm sure there will be disagreements between all of us, but we should be able to handle those, as long as we try to understand each others point of view.

Look over some of our threads in various forums - there's a lot of information out there that Pearl could really benefit from.

I am a rehabber, and have released many squirrels here on my own place. I have quite a few that are being wintered over for a spring release. I have a few that are NR due to neurological problems or serious injuries. I also have flying squirrels - I am a hobby breeder. All of my flyers have been bred from captive stock back many generations. Most of them live in an 8' X 8' X 12' tall outdoor cage. All of my babies are raised by hand, tamed and socialized before they go to a new home. And the new owners-to-be are questioned to see if a flyer is the pet for them, and if their home will be a good one.

We are all fanatical and passionate about squirrels on here - I hope you'll join us.

muffinsquirrel
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

PBluejay2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by muffinsquirrel
    Squirrelman, I hope you DO stay with us. Things don't come across on the internet like they do in face to face conversations. I believe that you truly do love Pearl, and only want to do the best for her. And I also know that good information on how to care for a squirrel is not easy to come by. You really do need to make some changes in her care, and I believe that you will make them, when you understand what, and why, those changes are. You have already said that you are going to release the flyers, which is the best thing for them. I would put the castle on a good size feeding platform and put some in-shell pecans, as well as some pecan halves, in the castle and on the platform. There is no reason to keep them in it for a few days - that is just likely to scare them. They are naturally curious creatures, and they are used to coming to Pearl's cage to steal food, so a feeder just for them will be found and used very quickly.
    The predators you have around are not an extreme threat to flyers. Flyers stay in the trees for the most part, so a coyote won't have a lot of chances to get them. Hawks hunt in the daytime, while flyers are sleeping. Raccoons will be more of a problem to nests of baby flyers, but we can tell you what sort of nest box to build to guard against that. Owls could become a problem, since they hunt at night. Snakes are definately a problem at times. And cats are always a big problem to nearly everything!

Stick around, get to know us, and us, you. If everyone keeps their cool, we should be OK. I'm sure there will be disagreements between all of us, but we should be able to handle those, as long as we try to understand each others point of view.

Look over some of our threads in various forums - there's a lot of information out there that Pearl could really benefit from.

I am a rehabber, and have released many squirrels here on my own place. I have quite a few that are being wintered over for a spring release. I have a few that are NR due to neurological problems or serious injuries. I also have flying squirrels - I am a hobby breeder. All of my flyers have been bred from captive stock back many generations. Most of them live in an 8' X 8' X 12' tall outdoor cage. All of my babies are raised by hand, tamed and socialized before they go to a new home. And the new owners-to-be are questioned to see if a flyer is the pet for them, and if their home will be a good one.

We are all fanatical and passionate about squirrels on here - I hope you'll join us.

muffinsquirrel

FYI, I pm'd Squirrelman a couple nights ago and he and I have since been exchanging emails about various things including healthy diets for squirrels and ideas for cages and habitat. He ran out today and bought Pearl Mazuri rodent blocks (the only ones he could find) and a cuttle bone. He's working on switching her over to a healthy diet now.

He and his wife have released the flyers. He said it was fine for me to post the links of the short videos they took yesterday evening. You'll see them below.

He said he won't come back to TSB even if paid. Honestly, I don't blame him and I hope we all learn from this thread about how counter-productive the "wolfpack mentality" is (Squirrelman's words ). Personally, and because of this thread, I've challenged myself to have more patience, to pay more attention while reading posts, and to learn to word my posts more carefully, for the sake of the squirrels especially.

Take this or leave it, as I know we all have different and valid viewpoints, but it's my opinion we didn't give Squirrelman much of a chance...and I hope everyone (myself included) thinks about the importance of having compassion for all kinds of animals, including the human kind.

I didn't come to TSB with much information about squirrels and had I not found TSB I, too, would've been making several mistakes in Shaky's care, diet, and habitat. Some of those mistakes would've been especially harmful to her and I shudder to think of the kind of life I would've given her had I not found TSB. I bet many members can say the same thing.

TSB is a very rare gem in cyberland---the information is just not easily available. We have to remember that. And if we claim to be so passionate about squirrels, we would think twice, three times, and even more about how our comments do come across online so that we don't attack and push someone away who's squirrels could obviously benefit from the help of the educated members here and the information they've worked so hard to gather -- Information gathered through years of experience and through years of blood, sweat, and tears living with and loving squirrels. Why would we want to risk keeping that wealth of knowledge from the squirrels who need it most?
    Had we given Squirrelman more time, had we been more patient, had we put our immediate reactions aside for a bit, we would've eventually understood he wants to learn more about squirrels and their care so he can give Pearl the best life possible.

Lastly, I want to say that Squirrelman wasn't doing anything intentional to harm Pearl or the flyers, no matter what any members want to believe. We've all made mistakes, we've all done things we look back on and say "what was I thinking?" and we've all done unwitting harm to animals in one way or another (anyone here eat meat and dairy, or wear leather, or use products which have been tested on animals, for just a few examples? ).
    I'm sure we can all find it in ourselves to understand (or at least try to understand) what it's like to *think* we have all the information even though we don't and to *think* we are not causing any harm even though in truth we really are.

If we are honest with ourselves, if we take responsibility for our actions, we can't help but see we could've avoided this thread's outcome by trying just a little bit harder to relate...for the squirrels, if for no other reason.

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHArJmert0E

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjf02BrfXUk

3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCVWCdNrOC0

PBluejay2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fireweed
    FYI, I pm'd Squirrelman a couple nights ago and he and I have since been exchanging emails about various things including healthy diets for squirrels and ideas for cages and habitat. He ran out today and bought Pearl Mazuri rodent blocks (the only ones he could find) and a cuttle bone. He's working on switching her over to a healthy diet now.

He and his wife have released the flyers. He said it was fine for me to post the links of the short videos they took yesterday evening. You'll see them below.

He said he won't come back to TSB even if paid. Honestly, I don't blame him and I hope we all learn from this thread about how counter-productive the "wolfpack mentality" is (Squirrelman's words ). Personally, and because of this thread, I've challenged myself to have more patience, to pay more attention while reading posts, and to learn to word my posts more carefully, for the sake of the squirrels especially.

Take this or leave it, as I know we all have different and valid viewpoints, but it's my opinion we didn't give Squirrelman much of a chance...and I hope everyone (myself included) thinks about the importance of having compassion for all kinds of animals, including the human kind.

I didn't come to TSB with much information about squirrels and had I not found TSB I, too, would've been making several mistakes in Shaky's care, diet, and habitat. Some of those mistakes would've been especially harmful to her and I shudder to think of the kind of life I would've given her had I not found TSB. I bet many members can say the same thing.

TSB is a very rare gem in cyberland---the information is just not easily available. We have to remember that. And if we claim to be so passionate about squirrels, we would think twice, three times, and even more about how our comments do come across online so that we don't attack and push someone away who's squirrels could obviously benefit from the help of the educated members here and the information they've worked so hard to gather -- Information gathered through years of experience and through years of blood, sweat, and tears living with and loving squirrels. Why would we want to risk keeping that wealth of knowledge from the squirrels who need it most?
    Had we given Squirrelman more time, had we been more patient, had we put our immediate reactions aside for a bit, we would've eventually understood he wants to learn more about squirrels and their care so he can give Pearl the best life possible.

Lastly, I want to say that Squirrelman wasn't doing anything intentional to harm Pearl or the flyers, no matter what any members want to believe. We've all made mistakes, we've all done things we look back on and say "what was I thinking?" and we've all done unwitting harm to animals in one way or another (anyone here eat meat and dairy, or wear leather, or use products which have been tested on animals, for just a few examples? ).
    I'm sure we can all find it in ourselves to understand (or at least try to understand) what it's like to *think* we have all the information even though we don't and to *think* we are not causing any harm even though in truth we really are.

If we are honest with ourselves, if we take responsibility for our actions, we can't help but see we could've avoided this thread's outcome by trying just a little bit harder to relate...for the squirrels, if for no other reason.

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHArJmert0E

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjf02BrfXUk

3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCVWCdNrOC0
    Very well said.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1