Thread: Degus Eye, help needed

♥FlyingsquirrelGirl♥ Guest

Default Degus Eye, help needed

My degus eye was swollen shut yesterday and i touched it and puss came out, i got all the puss out and put Neosporin on it and today it seems better but her eye is still a bit closed, she can open it just not all the way. What should i do?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Default Re: Degus Eye, help needed

First do not put neosproin on an eye! You need to take it to a vet and get antibiotics otherwise youa re risking the infection going to the brain. Any vet who will see a rabbit can care for the degu. TMS and Baytril are both safe.

def go to the vet as soon as possible to avoid infection, Degus will be all good with some antibiotics!! mjs

even an topical eye anti biotic may help him, but don't use neosporin, it has to be an ointment specifically for the eye, till you can get some from the vet natural tears that you can get at the pharmacy will help, gently flush his eye with it 3 times a day

♥FlyingsquirrelGirl♥ Guest

i am looking at her eye this evening and the neosporin helped. her eye is wide open and clear.

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

I am sorry but that is bs. Neosporin is not going to clear up an infection that is bad enough to puss when you push on it. Second if there is any infection behind the eye and which it sounds like it it is going to eventually kill your Degu. Take YOUR pet to the vet so it gets real help.

Members who have read this thread: 1