Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little petunia has mange and winter is coming

Default petunia needs licenced rehabber

We recently caputured a mange squirrel who had less than 25% of its fur left. We posted a thread on this site and many replies came. The best advice was to find a licenced rehabber to take the baby to. They took our baby in We donated the cage and blanket. These folks know know to rehab and medicate mange. There are rehab listings on this site. When winter is over the baby will come back and be realeased. We live in michigan very cold here. It is a process to catch these babies.We put the cage outside of our porch with a bowl of food in the cage. Leave the door open they will get in to eat when the mange baby gets in tap the door with a stick baby is now caught and in cage ready to be transported to licensed rehabber. I have read alot of feedback on your site. The rehabber also sold us medicated walnuts to give to the 2 other mange babies in our yard. I agree with these folks about meds if u dont what your doing let a rehabber help u. As far as how to get the mange baby only to get the medicated nut your going to have to stand by the door and wait. When the ok guys come simply open the door they will leave until the mange baby comes. God bless u for your efforts to help yet let the experts handle meds. Folks picture you outside no coat on thats how it is for these babies. It takes time yet they may not like the captivity yet they cant make it in winter they are much happier in cage properly medicated and warm in the hands of a licenced rehabber. Here are some pics of 2 babies who have been getting correct meds yet are to furless in my opinion to make it in this cold weather also a pic on my cage catching idea it has worked for us I hope it works for others. It is nice to know others care for these babies as we do good luck all jeff and teresa
    Teresa

Default Re: Little petunia has mange and winter is coming

here are the pics of a manage squirrel. sorry dont have the pic of the cage that we caught the other squirrel in.Name:  155.JPG
Views: 2486
Size:  207.1 KB

Name:  152.JPG
Views: 582
Size:  181.3 KB
    Teresa

You can also use Revolution for kittens. It is an Ivermectin derivative, use only three drops on a 1 pound squirrel. I use this on my babies I release to keep the fleas and ticks off them. This product also gets rid of ear mites. You do not need an Rx in Canada for this product.

Poor baby Petunia, she needs a sweater!

johnsonkid Guest

I am wondering if you can help me with some other things; I ordered the invermectin from Chris and I hope it comes "over night" but it wasn't here today so I guess I'll have to wait until Monday. Petunia is even worse today than she was yesterday; now she's completely bald on half of her body and the entire top of her head. Her skin is very pink and scratched. I just got home now, 7pm, and it's dark outside. And she was outside! I heard something rustling around in the leaves and this little balding squirrel came out.

Microsoft Office 2007
    Microsoft Office 2010
    Outlook 2010
    Microsoft Office Professional 2007
    Microsoft Access 2010

sending prayers ..

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonkid
    I am wondering if you can help me with some other things; I ordered the invermectin from Chris and I hope it comes "over night" but it wasn't here today so I guess I'll have to wait until Monday. Petunia is even worse today than she was yesterday; now she's completely bald on half of her body and the entire top of her head. Her skin is very pink and scratched. I just got home now, 7pm, and it's dark outside. And she was outside! I heard something rustling around in the leaves and this little balding squirrel came out.
    Poor Petunia...
    I am not sure what help you are looking for?... - how to dose ivermectin that Chris sells?...
    I hope someone knows because I don't know what kind she sells.

When I treated mange in my wilds, I used two varieties of ivermectin:
    1. tablets that I got from henryspets. com
    2. horse paste.
    Both worked, although, the tablets seemed to be faster and more effective.

As for horse paste, common instructions are:
    1. squeeze the entire tube into a container and mix well. I didn't always do that, but it is suggested because, sometimes, the liquid part separates inside. So, squeeze it out and mix well.
    2. put the dose of the size of an uncooked rice grain on a piece of nut and give it to the squirrel.
    3. Repeat once a week for three weeks. Make sure it is exactly one week between the doses, not less. (one day later is ok, but no more than that. It is very important that the doses are spaced one week apart for most effectiveness).

If mange does not disappear after that completely, wait for a couple of weeks and repeat the treatment.

When you get thet Chris' ivermectin, post here what kind it is (liquid, tablets, etc) and concentration and people will help you dose it.
    Correct dosage is of utter importance because ivermectin is a very potent medicine and overdose can cause death.

And it will be better if you post this in either Emergency forum or Non-Life threatening forum, because it will get faster and wider attention there.

This forum is mostly informative.

Chris's ivermectin is 1% solution and I use it ONE DROP at a time (the size of a hole in notebook paper) on a pecan nut or a walnut or even in a piece of avacado to have them take it orally,. You have to get that in them once and then another dose 8 to 10 days later and maybe even another after that. But it works. If you know where she lives, then try to leave some cut up fleeceand put it nearby so that she can steal it to put in the nest with her, Her biggest danger is hypothermia, better yet if you can stuff it into her nest yourself.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27
    Chris's ivermectin is 1% solution and I use it ONE DROP at a time (the size of a hole in notebook paper) on a pecan nut or a walnut or even in a piece of avacado to have them take it orally,. You have to get that in them once and then another dose 8 to 10 days later and maybe even another after that. But it works. If you know where she lives, then try to leave some cut up fleeceand put it nearby so that she can steal it to put in the nest with her, Her biggest danger is hypothermia, better yet if you can stuff it into her nest yourself.
    I had a wild squirrel just like this one 2 winters ago. I did what JLM27 has described . It worked perfectly. Just do not over dose. 1 drop only (small drop) is all you need. Remember what you are using is dosed for a horse. 1 small drop on a pecan or other nut will do. Repeat as described above.

Marty, Licensed Maryland Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

gailbk Guest

Any update on Petunia?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.