Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

Default Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

I wouldn't be surprised if the hypocrite neighbour was the one who called them. Wouldn't put it past a lowlife individual like that.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Cool Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom
    I wouldn't be surprised if the hypocrite neighbour was the one who called them. Wouldn't put it past a lowlife individual like that.
    Me either. Especially in his exasperated state. Probably called anonymously too. But I have no way of knowing. I think they don't follow up as much with anonymous complaints. I got a call, they just asked if that was the case, I said no, they just told me the kind of things that can happen if they get in, that was it.

Since our houses are so close together, it's good thing we are talking again because it was stressful going out there when he was on a rampage. But NO WAY do I trust him. And the corker is- I think indecent exposure is FAR more serious than having squirrels in your attic/bats in your belfry/whatever! But I never complained- because it's essentially he said/she said- and I live here and am not going anywhere and I want peace or even worse things could happen.

If someone ELSE caught him I would have no problem!

my neighbours are constantly complaining....i now chop almonds into 3 or 4 pieces and roasted peanuts into 4 pieces too.... i also leave a bowl of chopped 1/2 inch and peeled apple out there ... (less mess)

sometimes i leave pieces of bread as well....

the problem is when the squirrels leave pieces of apple or pieces of bread on the neighbours window sills or fence... but mostly the birds will take anything left over....

but i've also had my neighbour scream at a squirrel that had finished eating and went into her yard to investigate something interesting to him.....

we've had the squirrels chew our deck and when they began to chew one neighbours gate we had to figure out how to stop all the squirrels...

so the bowl of apple works very well... if they're hungry they come and eat and yet there's no great attraction of nuts that make many come ....

we've gone from 12 squirrels to 4 at once in the morning although the regulars still come from time to time ...or if i'm in the yard etc...

i've got 3 neighbour houses that are anti squirrel and it's not safe to antagonize them .... they might try catching and releasing them elsewhere or worse....

there are sprays that might work or additions to gardens etc..like bloodmeal etc.. but my neighbours just see squirrels in the same group as rats and don't feel that they should be doing anything to keep them out of their yards....and it is up to us to stop feeding them.

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

Quote Originally Posted by Moneypenny4M
    Two days later and a truce has set in here. The squirrels have stopped digging in whatsisface's garden and stopped going into his traps. In his case, he was releasing them right away anyhow, supposedly. A skunk got in there, sprayed him, and apparently the smell is keeping the squirrels away.

And the idiot is all friendly again. Lucky me, huh? Well- I'd rather be on speaking terms because it was extremely tense for over a week. Our houses are way too close together. But HE'S not getting close. Know what I mean?!!

Oh, and some moron apparently called Housing to complain that my house was "infested" with squirrels, that they were going in my walls, etc. Could have been a buttinsky friend of his- not so sure about him- but- unless they are living in MY house and SEE or HEAR squirrels, HOW do they know WHAT is in my house? I could have a MOUNTAIN lion, for that matter! (I don't!) I own my house and regard this kind of nosiness, etc. TOTALLY uncalled for. Worry about your OWN houses! Yes, there are a lot of squirrels AROUND here- but a lot more MORONS!
    I missed this yesterday. I don't like this guy. I know I'm not your mom, but don't let this guy in your house. It is your house. Doesn't matter who he calls. You can have snakes slithering in and out if you want. Not his business!
    I really don't like this guy. What a creep! I know you catch more flies with sugar... but touching you is the total limit.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat
    I missed this yesterday. I don't like this guy. I know I'm not your mom, but don't let this guy in your house. It is your house. Doesn't matter who he calls. You can have snakes slithering in and out if you want. Not his business!
    I really don't like this guy. What a creep! I know you catch more flies with sugar... but touching you is the total limit.

Marty
    Thanks, Marty! Don't worry- he's NOT coming in my house! Nor am I going in his house! I think he either called or put someone else in the neighborhood up to it. There's a confederacy of dunces in my area! Small town with small minds to match. Why is it anyone else's business if there are squirrels in my attic, bats in my belfry or whatever? Let them worry about their OWN houses! I have no control over what they do with their houses- and they should butt out when it comes to MINE! And I will feed what I want whenever I want!

If I see a house that had anything going in it like that (squirrel, etc) I would NOT butt in. Now if I saw a PERSON breaking in- that's different. Coincidentally- when someone DID break into my house 4 years ago- NOBODY SAW ANYTHING! Priorities ALL mixed up! (Luckily I have an alarm- the creeps got scared off!)

Well of course no one saw the important stuff!!!! Seems they were too busy counting squirrels in YOUR backyard to see any one trying to break in your house. Hope he will really back off the squirrels and leave them and you alone. He needs something to do. Hope you had a great Memorial Day.

Marty

Smile Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

Well of course no one saw the important stuff!!!! Seems they were too busy counting squirrels in YOUR backyard to see any one trying to break in your house. Hope he will really back off the squirrels and leave them and you alone. He needs something to do. Hope you had a great Memorial Day.

Marty
    Yes, I did! Hope you did too. Thanks!

I wonder how he would react if by some odd coincidence a boa constrictor might find its way into his bathroom? or.... do you have scorpions in your area?
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    - Gandhi -

Wink Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

I wonder how he would react if by some odd coincidence a boa constrictor might find its way into his bathroom? or.... do you have scorpions in your area?
    Oh, how I wish......

You're funny, Scooterzmom. So do you have boas or scorpions, MoneyPenny4M? Great thinking

Talking Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

You're funny, Scooterzmom. So do you have boas or scorpions, MoneyPenny4M? Great thinking
    Know where I can get some?

Seriously- He Who Complains has his dog out yapping- at 6 am. Guess only OTHER people are supposed to be submissive and shut up and mind their own business?

Talking Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

Okay, what with all this going on- I decided to finally take the big step and certify my yard as a National Wildlife Federation Wildlife Habitat. I have pile of brush way in back (habitat) bird feeders (habitat) nuts (habitat) water dish (habitat) tall trees and bushes surrounding my house (habitat) and so on!

Gives me incentive to do even more with it!

Angry Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

Marty
    I'm a bit worried. Didn't see as many squirrels as usual today. No evidence of anything though. The idiot perv keeps coming outside with his dog the MINUTE I go outside to walk mine. Not talking to me now- just glowering.

He was acting all spazzy near his car late yesterday and I was afraid that he'd blame it on them if something was wrong. But he drove it 3 times today. He came home with lots of bags- but looked innocuous enough (?) Then took off with a flat box- put it on passenger side - I DON'T think it was anything nefarious- but I'm suspicious!

He could have stuff going on that I don't know about but- given the current climate, I'm very suspicious!

Mads Guest

I think you have to just not consider the worse case possibilities for your own piece of mind. I know I was working myself up to the point where I would cry just thinking the worse about my favorite squirrels and the stupid kids next door with their guns. I didn't see my two bad eyes, or my female from RI...and then they did appear a few weeks later looking for treats. I had pretty much figured she had killed them off.
    Unfortunately, the neighbors don't go away, and the more you try to do to prevent them from hurting the wildlife , the more they want to destroy it. Unless you have total surveillance of their yards, it's hard proving anything.
    And even with the camera's, certain ones, probably wouldn't even be legal , especially if the film can be edited.

I did purchase a t-shirt after seeing it on this board last week ....it's my out in the Yard shirt....it's the cute one with squirrels on the front saying "peace for squirrels."

I need neighbors like everyone on this board!!:wott :wott

For cripes sakes. People complain about seeing a piece of nut??? Or apple? Or their soil "moved" in their garden's?

I notice they never say something like they are tearing apart my porch furniture, eating their way into their attic, etc. All they do is yell that it "could" happen. And I do know it's possible. But heck. Ten years here and I've yet to see it. So if it's NOT happening, why do they b*tch?

Some neighbors here say they are "creepy tree rat's". It's all in the perception. If they made great pets and were a common one sold in stores, but hamsters were the wild things ... they'd probably think squirrels were awesome and hamsters were pests. Ya know? Stupid heads.

Hey, I do have one question. Is it really true that chipmunks can "destroy" your foundation? I read that it's a myth. But people swear it is not and it can! I have a big burrow going under mine for the first time in my life. I havne't filled it up, etc, cause I'm scared their might be babies under there lol. Anyone know any fact's about this?
    Wolfy
    Chippie granny to Flower!

Angry Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Mads
    I think you have to just not consider the worse case possibilities for your own piece of mind. I know I was working myself up to the point where I would cry just thinking the worse about my favorite squirrels and the stupid kids next door with their guns. I didn't see my two bad eyes, or my female from RI...and then they did appear a few weeks later looking for treats. I had pretty much figured she had killed them off.
    Unfortunately, the neighbors don't go away, and the more you try to do to prevent them from hurting the wildlife , the more they want to destroy it. Unless you have total surveillance of their yards, it's hard proving anything.
    And even with the camera's, certain ones, probably wouldn't even be legal , especially if the film can be edited.

I did purchase a t-shirt after seeing it on this board last week ....it's my out in the Yard shirt....it's the cute one with squirrels on the front saying "peace for squirrels."

I need neighbors like everyone on this board!!:wott :wott
    Well, ONE of my favorites (think it's her) is missing a tail all of a sudden-

And the two that slept in the crawlspace in my window haven't been there since two days ago.

But- they have done this before- they are probably camped out in another cubby hole somewhere. I just got used to them being there and them not being there NOW is sortof unsettling! I saw two casualties around but too far away, I think, to have had it been any of mine and too far away for neighbors to be to blame.

As for proving anything- what I'd LIKE to prove is that my neighbor was giving me an unasked-for peep show the last few years. I never complained then because I was afraid if I pissed him off he would retaliate against me via the squirrels. And certainly looks like my instincts were spot on. I never trusted him with them even when he was pretending to like them. (If he were caught, he'd be going away for a bit, I think)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfysluv
    For cripes sakes. People complain about seeing a piece of nut??? Or apple? Or their soil "moved" in their garden's?

I notice they never say something like they are tearing apart my porch furniture, eating their way into their attic, etc. All they do is yell that it "could" happen. And I do know it's possible. But heck. Ten years here and I've yet to see it. So if it's NOT happening, why do they b*tch?

Some neighbors here say they are "creepy tree rat's". It's all in the perception. If they made great pets and were a common one sold in stores, but hamsters were the wild things ... they'd probably think squirrels were awesome and hamsters were pests. Ya know? Stupid heads.

Hey, I do have one question. Is it really true that chipmunks can "destroy" your foundation? I read that it's a myth. But people swear it is not and it can! I have a big burrow going under mine for the first time in my life. I havne't filled it up, etc, cause I'm scared their might be babies under there lol. Anyone know any fact's about this?
    Not sure, they seem too small to cause any sort of real damage and I would never hurt a chipmunk- I wish I had some here! I used to have one that climbed on my hand and I'd be able to stuff his mouth with raw almonds. EIGHT AT A TIME! This was at a fire escape landing yet. I miss him so much!

Some neighbor blamed them for chewing his truck wires but I think HE'S short wired. I park about as close to their feeding site as you could get and they leave my car alone. Maybe because I DON'T TRAP THEM!!!!

Runestonez Guest

OK...I am an avid gardener...and GS1 can back me up cause she's seen my home and gardens...It's so stinking green it's sickening.
    We live in an urban area...so def not in the boonies.
    Now I manage to keep all these lovely fluffy gardens while feeding all the wildies...and we have 4 groundhogs, and cottontails.
    Not one digs up my plants, noms on plants or destroys a thing.

I have heard a number of gardeners complain about squirrels destroying this and that...and yet they have the exact same plants as I do.
    Now I will say the hoggies cropped back my phlox and daisies...but they didn't harm them!
    I am biased here...but I think its more a case of scapegoating than actual destruction!
    If it doesn't grow...blame the wildlife!
    The one time squirrels did dig up a plant they left me a chesnut tree...a fair trade I'd say!

Don't get me started on anti-squirrel neighbors

I have actually bought another house, am moving after 33 years of living in the same place, 33 years of lovingly taking care and improving my little house and yard... BECAUSE my "witch" of a neighbor has declared war on me and my squirrels (trying to remain polite here I'm using a "w" in the word when describing a person like her I should use a "b"). The whole thing is, in fact it is nothing but a vengeance that she seeks, has nothing to do with the squirrels causing any harm to her property at all - a very long story short, city hall nailed her for non-compliance to a whole bunch of by-laws and she blames me for that. So, for the last 6 years now she's been waging war on me, harrassing me and my squirrels in any way she can, using my squirrels only to get to me because she knows I love them.

So, if you want to look at it this way, yes, she wins, I'm leaving... Me, I prefer to look at it differently: in the end she has done me the biggest favor anyone could have I have found a beautiful, gorgeous place, with tons of trees (my own little forest), my own creek, peace and quiet... no airplanes (here I'm close to the airport) and best of all.... no neighbors in sight. Yes, there are some - I'm not isolated and in the boondocks, no - but the yard is so ultra-private that I don't see any of them and they don't see me. I'll be able to feed my squees, release them in my own yard ... watch them come and go in peace... all that without ANYONE interfering!!!! All in all, the country feel with all the conveniences of a suburb. The best of both worlds.

So... in the end....... THANK YOU witchy, stupid, selfish complaining neighbor Because of you I have found myself a little piece of paradise where I can finish my life in peace, surrounded by all the little creatures I love

- Gandhi -

Don't get me started on anti-squirrel neighbors

I have actually bought another house, am moving after 33 years being in the same place, 33 years of lovingly taking care and improving my little house and yard... BECAUSE my "witch" of a neighbor has declared ar on me and my squirrels (trying to remain polite I'm using a w in the word witch when in describing a erson like her the word really should be spelled differently... you get my drift). The whole thing is, in fact it is nothing but a vengeance that she seeks, has nothing to do with the squirrels causing any harm to her property at all - a very long story short, city hall nailed her for non-compliance to a whole bunch of by-laws and she blames me for that. So, for the last 6 years now she's been waging war on me, harrassing me and my squirrels in any way she can, using my squirrels only to get to me because she knows I love them.

So, if you want to look at it this way, yes, she wins, I'm leaving... Me, I prefer to look at it differently: in the end she has done me the biggest favor anyone could have I have found a beautiful, gorgeous place, with tons of trees (my own little forest), my own creek, no airplanes (here I'm close to the airport) and best of all.... no neighbors in sight. Yes, there are some - I'm not isolated and in the boondocks, no - but the yard is so ultra-private that I don't see any of them and they don't see me. I'll be able to feed my squees, release them in my own yard ... watch them come and go in peace... all that without ANYONE interfering!!!! Country feel with the convenience of a suburb. Best of both worlds.

So, yes... thank you witchy, stupid, complaining neighbor because of you I am moving to paradise.

- Gandhi -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast