Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

Default Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

My good neighbor of 19 years wrote me a letter asking that I stop feeding nuts to the squirrels from May to October. She indicated that my squirrels bury the nuts in her flower pots/beds and dig up her annuals. She said her summer was "miserable" because of this.

I have experienced the squirrels digging up my flowers but I just stick them back into the dirt and most survive. I think it is extreme to ask that I do not feed nuts in the shell for six months.

I'm looking at moving where I feed (not so close to her property line) and feeding less "in the shell", but this about the best I can offer her unless you guys have some suggestions.

I'm a rehabber and I put food out to support squirrels I've released, so NOT feeding them is NOT an option for me. Any ideas welcome. Thanks.
    Squirrelena

Default Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

Yes, I would go over and talk to your neighbor face-to-face. My squirrels destroyed some of my plants. That was OK with me, and they didn't seem to bother anyone else. Only put out a few handfuls of nuts at a time. Any more than they want to eat, and they will be burying them, especially in August, Sept and October.

None of my neighbors complain...I've told them if they find shelled nuts in their yard to take them and eat them..I let them know they are good to eat...All you need to do, I say, is wash them.....

As for the holes they dig....good airation for the lawn....for the flowers...perhaps she can put gravel or stones around the plants.....
    To all my babies past and present..
    Thank you for showing me how to love
    and be loved unconditionally....
    RIP Timothy

May I suggest that you offer to help her if they do any damage, like assist in re-potting, etc., and then do it? It is hard to be nasty to someone who offers to remedy the situation, and it may give you the opportunity to get a little friendlier with her. Perhaps if she watched a baby squirrel nursing on a syringe, she might change her tune. It's that honey/vinegar/fly catching thing...

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

olorin19 (03-03-2021), TubeDriver (03-02-2021)

whopoopwrasse Guest

Well I guess I'll go against everyone's grain and say I would tell her 'politely' to stick her letter where the sun don't shine. As far as I know it isn't illegal to feed the squirrels where I live and whether they get nuts from my yard or any other yard... it's what they do.

I feed pecans, almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts, all in the shell along with peanut in the shell and shelled. Yup they bury them all over my yard but I've never noticed any ripped up plants so I guess my squirrels are more careful

I've been living here for 26 years and have always been careful not to get too friendly with my neighbors for fear of having history repeat itself. Before moving here, I had a neighbor that I got friendly with and she literally thought my house was her house! She would pop in everyday, plunk herself at my kitchen table and stay there practically the whole day. This was at 7:00am! And at the time I was too polite/gullible/softy to do anything about it so when I moved I vowed to keep things to a "hello, nice day huh?"

I wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers (or squirrel tails)..she may take it out on the squirrels...and that would be awful...

I think open communication is the way to start.....
    To all my babies past and present..
    Thank you for showing me how to love
    and be loved unconditionally....
    RIP Timothy

I think it was a good thing that your neighbor tried to communicate the issue rather than call an exterminator. You can make you own squirrel suets with pieces of nuts, or give theme their nuts in pieces so they have just enough to eat, and nothing of interest to bury. Mine usually don't try to bury pieces.
    Virginia Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator (formerly Georgia)

My guys like to rip up the annuals, but they leave the perennials pretty much alone, maybe it is the deep roots that are safer from them. They are murder on impatiens. I had to put down hardware cloth all around the plants and cover it up with dirt. Some of my perennials they bit the leaves off of, but only when they were pups. The bleeding hearts also break very easily when they walk on them; even though these are perennials, they have tender stems, and they destroyed them last summer, but not this summer.

I betcha she has a lot of tender annuals. Maybe you could work with her to get some perennials in there that are not as fragile as the annuals. Also, if she is using bone meal fertilizer on her bulbs, I heard that can draw any number of rodents besides squirrels.

PBluejay2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    May I suggest that you offer to help her if they do any damage, like assist in re-potting, etc., and then do it? It is hard to be nasty to someone who offers to remedy the situation, and it may give you the opportunity to get a little friendlier with her. Perhaps if she watched a baby squirrel nursing on a syringe, she might change her tune. It's that honey/vinegar/fly catching thing...
    This is exactly what I did with an old lady across the street who used to shoot squirrels with a bb gun because they ate the bird seed she put out every morning. She is otherwise a sweet old lady who gives all the neighbors fudge every Xmas. One day I invited her into my house, showed her some babies and let her watch me feed them, told her how much I loved them and about some of their antics and natural history and intelligence. Since then she's asked me if I have any new squirrels (which I always do) and would I mind showing them to her grand daughters and such. I haven't heard that bb gun since

buckshot307 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PBluejay2
    This is exactly what I did with an old lady across the street who used to shoot squirrels with a bb gun because they ate the bird seed she put out every morning. She is otherwise a sweet old lady who gives all the neighbors fudge every Xmas. One day I invited her into my house, showed her some babies and let her watch me feed them, told her how much I loved them and about some of their antics and natural history and intelligence. Since then she's asked me if I have any new squirrels (which I always do) and would I mind showing them to her grand daughters and such. I haven't heard that bb gun since

Haha i made a bird feeder out of wood and plexiglass and had it hangin in my front yard and squirrels made the food holes big enough to crawl in and they just sit there eating all the time!

But as for the neighbor a polite approache would be best. lotta people take it to heart for some reason when someones shows a hint of meaness to them and no matter how many times you apologize they'll never git it out of there head that your a hateful person. Try and do somethin for them rather than askin them to do somethin to prevent it

You guys are just awesome. Thank you so much for the support, advice and helpful suggestions. I really appreciate it. I feel empowered!

JLM27: GOOD idea! I didn't even think of breaking up my feeding times - during the summer months, the days are longer and I can feed before AND after work. I also agree about the babies liking the annuals - they particularly liked my salvia blossoms. Fortunately, most times the salvia will grow back, just takes longer for blossoms.

TinyPaws: I needed a good laugh - but I actually know a neighbor that would wipe 'em on his pants and eat 'em! Also, I agree with you over the concern re: the neighbor actually hurting squirrels in some way...I don't talk much about my rehabilitative work anymore because I didn't want to draw attention to it.

Whopoopwrasse: My first reaction was anger because we have known each other so long and I have really tried to be a good neighbor. For the last two Aprils - when the snow melts - I have gone over with my leaf blower and have blown the shells into a pile and bagged them up for her. I told her I felt responsible for the "shell litter". Also, I do hold back info now and don't discuss the squirrel rehab work - I've got 6 baby fox and 1 baby grey I'm about to release and I don't want any problems.

Atlantasquirrelgirl: My neighbor usually telephones me with issues or news, so the fact she wrote a letter and mailed it to me indicated the seriousness of this situation to her (and her husband). I'm going to cut back on all shelled nuts from June to August. The non-shell food is yummy and I usually soft release so the juveniles can get back into their cages for a bit if they want some nuts.

CritterMom: The offer to assist in repair (or even planting) is a good one. My neighbor is in her 70's and her health hasn't been great and her garden is very small - frankly, I would enjoy helping her garden or repair damage for her. Also, it is a good idea to show her the babies when I go to help...

PBluejay2: That was very smart how you handled that. My neighbor usually likes squirrels - she even gave me dishtowels with squirrels on them last X-mas.

Buckshot307: I agree with you, too. Nice is also more my style.

Thanks, again, guys.
    Squirrelena

Hi Squirrelena
    One of my neighbors told me she walked in the woods looking for her cat. One or more Squirrels tried to attack her She said they were trying to bite her. They even chased her out of the woods. I should not feed them. DON"T make pets out of them. She got very mean and nasty. (She thought I got rid of her cat,s) I told her No I did not do anything to her cats. I told her it was not illegal to feed squirrels. The town know I rehab squirrels and birds. They have no problems with me doing that. I told her I will continue to feed birds, Squirrels. I only release what I find hear. The rest goes somewhere else. "She said she was a big softies, and feed all strayer's. I told her what is the different??? I feed Squirrels and birds. Now what you do is very illegal feeding all the strays cats and dogs. I told her what she just said was a catch 22. You feed strays. I feed wildlife. Bird's, and squirrels. Besides the squirrel she was talking about was ROCKI and her kids I told her. All she had to do was keep on walking she would have ran. " hear is the kicker She had a stray dog with her" I may be blond BUT not born yesterday. The Squirrels would have not come out to her with the dog loose. Not even for her.They might have hung in the tree and screamed. That is all that would have happened. Then she proceeded to tell me she saw a Coyote the other day. She has 5 or 6 cats. all are TOMS and when she leaves for the weekend the people she has feeding them never show up to feed. They know when animal control comes be my house. I leave cage in front yard for all to see. I know neighbors cat look like. I don't turn them over to animal control. All the people know I try to find homes for most strays. Unless they are wild. I agree with all the other posts. I always try to talk nice and help out. But sometimes it does not work. I hope you get things worked out . Take care Christal

Quote Originally Posted by TinyPaws
    I wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers (or squirrel tails)..she may take it out on the squirrels...and that would be awful...

I think open communication is the way to start.....
    I'm in a dire situation here. I've been feeding squirrels here for YEARS without much of a problem. Until now. It seems squirrels have been digging up my neighbor's vegetable garden. I've given him tip after tip after tip- how to keep them out and he just says he's tried them all. I think he's just too lazy. Last time I talked to him Monday he said he got a gun.

THIS is someone who has flashed me constantly for the years I've been here. And recently grabbed me. I actually did not make a formal complaint because I was afraid he would do something like this. I'm wondering if word got back to him that I complained about his exhibitionism and he decided to declare war. It came out of nowhere. And anyway- squirrels would be digging whether I fed them or not (not feeding is NOT an option)

He complained about me to Housing yet- that "my house is infested with squirrels." Um- not true- and even if it were- they'd be HERE, not THERE! Isn't my house my OWN BUSINESS???? Anyway-I made my own, um, complaint.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by atlantasquirrelgirl
    I think it was a good thing that your neighbor tried to communicate the issue rather than call an exterminator. You can make you own squirrel suets with pieces of nuts, or give theme their nuts in pieces so they have just enough to eat, and nothing of interest to bury. Mine usually don't try to bury pieces.
    Unfortunately you are dealing with more than just a an animal hater...this guy is a sicko all the way around.
    Be very careful
    there's a warp there that you cannot get interwoven with.

Angry Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    Unfortunately you are dealing with more than just a an animal hater...this guy is a sicko all the way around.
    Be very careful
    there's a warp there that you cannot get interwoven with.
    The thing is- he has a dog. Never complained about the squirrels. AND has fed the squirrels himself...in the past. He was always more interested in getting his jollies in front of me. And I was most DEFINITELY NOT interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Moneypenny4M
    The thing is- he has a dog. Never complained about the squirrels. AND has fed the squirrels himself...in the past. He was always more interested in getting his jollies in front of me. And I was most DEFINITELY NOT interested.
    Stay away from this guy. It seems to me that he is trying to get you to play his game with him. If you don't, he is trying to make sure you will cooperate by killing squirrels. Do not engage him. He is sick. If you don't play he will get you by hurting what you love. There are laws about people discharging guns in neighborhoods. IN MD I think within 400 yards of another house. Not sure, but there are laws, not to mention flashing and grabbing you. Please be careful. He is not right.

Marty

Decrative rocks are a HUGE plus to help this. Also move the feed location like you said. Perhaps between the two this will solve most of the issue.
    Almost everything in this post is misspelled

JAQUELINE (RELEASED) AND TALULA (RELEASED)

Angry Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat
    Stay away from this guy. It seems to me that he is trying to get you to play his game with him. If you don't, he is trying to make sure you will cooperate by killing squirrels. Do not engage him. He is sick. If you don't play he will get you by hurting what you love. There are laws about people discharging guns in neighborhoods. IN MD I think within 400 yards of another house. Not sure, but there are laws, not to mention flashing and grabbing you. Please be careful. He is not right.

Marty
    Thanks, Marty! I knew my customer! I knew even when he was all friendly and all that he could turn on a dime. I've got friends who are going to investigate. He actually called in a complaint to Housing that squirrels were going in my house, getting it infested-blah blah blah! (And even if they were- this is HIS problem? No, the problem is him fondling himself in front of me, exposing himself, etc- and trying to grab me. I'd like squirrels to be the LEAST of his worries!

Trapping outside - not legal. Shooting would, I think, DEFINITELY be illegal here (400 yards? I don't think even 400 FEET separate our houses- they're that close. Puke!) When I was growing up in this house, there were nice people on this block. Not so much any more! I love my house- just do not trust this neighbor!!! I tolerated him before this- the old Michael Corleone adage, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer!"

This guy used to feed them and laugh at their antics. Maybe only to try to get in my good graces. Someone told me she saw him trying to look in my window once. Once he blew it by groping, I think he began to turn....now he's complaining there are too damn many squirrels- and about them getting into my house. Unreal!

Maybe if I make them use squirrel condoms there will be fewer?

I don't know if anybody else on here has suggested it but I had peoblems with my neighbors before for the same reason. Now I just give the squirrels nuts out of the shell that are chopped up. The squirrels don't bury those. They will sit on the feeder longer to eat them so you can even view them longer.

Exclamation Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat

Marty
    Two days later and a truce has set in here. The squirrels have stopped digging in whatsisface's garden and stopped going into his traps. In his case, he was releasing them right away anyhow, supposedly. A skunk got in there, sprayed him, and apparently the smell is keeping the squirrels away.

And the idiot is all friendly again. Lucky me, huh? Well- I'd rather be on speaking terms because it was extremely tense for over a week. Our houses are way too close together. But HE'S not getting close. Know what I mean?!!

Oh, and some moron apparently called Housing to complain that my house was "infested" with squirrels, that they were going in my walls, etc. Could have been a buttinsky friend of his- not so sure about him- but- unless they are living in MY house and SEE or HEAR squirrels, HOW do they know WHAT is in my house? I could have a MOUNTAIN lion, for that matter! (I don't!) I own my house and regard this kind of nosiness, etc. TOTALLY uncalled for. Worry about your OWN houses! Yes, there are a lot of squirrels AROUND here- but a lot more MORONS!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast