Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

Twi_prime Guest

Default Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom
    Don't get me started on anti-squirrel neighbors

I have actually bought another house, am moving after 33 years being in the same place, 33 years of lovingly taking care and improving my little house and yard... BECAUSE my "witch" of a neighbor has declared ar on me and my squirrels (trying to remain polite I'm using a w in the word witch when in describing a erson like her the word really should be spelled differently... you get my drift). The whole thing is, in fact it is nothing but a vengeance that she seeks, has nothing to do with the squirrels causing any harm to her property at all - a very long story short, city hall nailed her for non-compliance to a whole bunch of by-laws and she blames me for that. So, for the last 6 years now she's been waging war on me, harrassing me and my squirrels in any way she can, using my squirrels only to get to me because she knows I love them.

So, if you want to look at it this way, yes, she wins, I'm leaving... Me, I prefer to look at it differently: in the end she has done me the biggest favor anyone could have I have found a beautiful, gorgeous place, with tons of trees (my own little forest), my own creek, no airplanes (here I'm close to the airport) and best of all.... no neighbors in sight. Yes, there are some - I'm not isolated and in the boondocks, no - but the yard is so ultra-private that I don't see any of them and they don't see me. I'll be able to feed my squees, release them in my own yard ... watch them come and go in peace... all that without ANYONE interfering!!!! Country feel with the convenience of a suburb. Best of both worlds.

So, yes... thank you witchy, stupid, complaining neighbor because of you I am moving to paradise.

Haha! Congrats on your new place. I hope you have nothing but joy there. And in the words of Elvis Costello, I wish your neighbor "luck with a capital 'F'!"

Cool Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Twi_prime
    Haha! Congrats on your new place. I hope you have nothing but joy there. And in the words of Elvis Costello, I wish your neighbor "luck with a capital 'F'!"
    Why would your neighbor blame you for things SHE is guilty of? Ach, can't win with neighbors!

This is my house, I grew up here (with much nicer neighbors at that time!) and not going anywhere. My mom and I fed squirrels here before this turd ever moved here. If anyone is going- HE is! I'M SURE he has violated some bylaws having nothing whatsoever to do with squirrels! Whereas everything I'm doing- is legal. So I'm continuing!

Could I get worse there? Probably. Could I get BETTER there? Also, probably!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moneypenny4M
    Why would your neighbor blame you for things SHE is guilty of? Ach, can't win with neighbors!

This is my house, I grew up here (with much nicer neighbors at that time!) and not going anywhere. My mom and I fed squirrels here before this turd ever moved here. If anyone is going- HE is! I'M SURE he has violated some bylaws having nothing whatsoever to do with squirrels! Whereas everything I'm doing- is legal. So I'm continuing!

Could I get worse there? Probably. Could I get BETTER there? Also, probably!!!
    Good luck with YOUR crappy neighbor.

The whole story ... Started with mine blaming me because she'd claimed she couldn't afford to pay her share of the fence when we built our pool and city demanded a 5' fence (although she too had a pool) but soon as the fence was built she found the money to build a deck... all the way TO the fence, even nailed it to the fence. Then, she placed her new patio set right against the fence, overlooking my yard, giving her full view of everything into my yard, taking away any privacy we had. Besides, her buddy the 2nd neighbor was there every single day, leaning over the fence to check everything that was going on at my place, I'd come face to face with him in the morning as I came out in my bathrobe :2gun

So, I politely asked that she at least place the patio set farther on her deck, she refused. Reminded her that her deck all the way to the fence was illegal, I told her I had not reported it because I didn't want to start a war and all I asked was she put the patio set farther, that then I wouldn't mind the deck being there. She still refused and then she'd laced the patio self-supporting umbrella against the fence (would leave it open even in wind storm) and it kept swinging into my cedars, braking them all up and I asked her again to move the set... she flatly refused cursing at me.

I told her she'd be forcing me to call city hall to solve the problem since her deck was illegal in the first place - for not respecting the set-back laws - and again she sent me to hell, told me to go ahead and call them. I warned her they would not be as lenient as I had been about all the other things illegal in her yeard, she said she didn't care...

So... I called city hall... and yes she did get nailed... and so it's all my fault, of course.

I had two choices: have her and her sons spying on everything I did in my yard from then on, having to whisper at dinner so as to keep our conversations pprivate... or call city hall.

As the saying goes... You piss in the air, don't be surprised in lands in your face - or, "don't throw stones if you live in a glass house".
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Angry Re: Have your neighbors complained about squirrels?

That IS icky! I hardly EVER went (or go) in my back yard because whenever I did my neighbor would somehow materialize- and flash me.

Can't report it because it's a case of he said/she said. Of course now with this business going on I don't want to deal with hearing him say anything about the squirrels either. Avoiding is better!

Post neighbors complained 💔

I am so heartbroken. I bought a townhouse that’s part of a property management in august.
    I love feeding my squirrels. My daughter and I named them and in this lockdown, it’s been one of my few joys. Today the property management called and told me to stop feeding them. I’m guessing my next door neighbour complained. I’m just heartbroken. They come every day and wait for me to feed them. I don’t want to stop but don’t know what I can do. Any advise is welcomed .

You might reach out to the management company and ask for the documents that stipulate why you can’t feed wildlife, if you didn’t receive them at closing. Ask why the management company/HOA objects? Mess from shells? Drawing them in which might encourage damage?

See if there’s any compromise.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

sundoesshine (03-01-2021)

It’s damage that they’re concerned with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    You might reach out to the management company and ask for the documents that stipulate why you can’t feed wildlife, if you didn’t receive them at closing. Ask why the management company/HOA objects? Mess from shells? Drawing them in which might encourage damage?

See if there’s any compromise.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nat from:

Mel1959 (03-02-2021)

If there’s something written in the Bylaws then there may not be anything you can do. I’d go over that document with a fine tooth comb to see if there’s a loophole.

Nat, welcome to my world....and it's a sad and angry one when it comes to condo/co-op/HOA "boards". These are most often nasty control freaks who want to rigidly supervise every move that every other resident makes -- however they often cover up their own little special allowances very efficiently.

If your by-laws, as mine do, say you cannot feed wildlife or have wildlife in your units (yeah, that one was written JUST for me when someone tipped off the Eye of Sauron that I rehabbed squirrels), you are screwed. They will cite fear of property damage, rats (you'll never get past that one) and "disease". All you can do, my friend, is find out some sneaky way to keep helping your furry friends WITHOUT them knowing. Find a place across the street or behind the property. Wildlife learns fast -- they will find you. I also feed feral cats and do trapping/spay/neuter; they hate it on my condo board and so I go out at 9-10pm and hide between a fence and a tree. I've been doing this since 1999

We do what we are called to do. But here's my shout-out to every animal lover/caregiver/rescuer on this planet:

DO NOT BUY A CONDO, CO-OP , or a HOUSE IN A HOMEOWNER'S ASSOCIATION!

Last edited by island rehabber; 03-02-2021 at 07:38 AM. Reason: add note
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Buddy (03-02-2021), Chirps (03-02-2021), Mel1959 (03-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    It’s damage that they’re concerned with.
    Yeah, my HOA is voluntary, so they can’t legally enforce anything. They put out a little paragraph in a newsletter a few years ago asking for folks to NOT feed the squirrels because they were getting on peoples boats and chewing the motor wires, sails, etc. They’ve chewed my mainsail more than once and even had babies in the sail pack. . I ignored their request and even have a large release cage in the backyard of my house. All the neighbors know I release and feed the squirrels and most everyone loves the fact that I do.

I feel bad for you guys that have to put up with the ridged rules of an HOA. I know it can be very upsetting and exhausting.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (03-02-2021), island rehabber (03-02-2021)

Yeah, my HOA is voluntary, so they can’t legally enforce anything. They put out a little paragraph in a newsletter a few years ago asking for folks to NOT feed the squirrels because they were getting on peoples boats and chewing the motor wires, sails, etc. They’ve chewed my mainsail more than once and even had babies in the sail pack. . I ignored their request and even have a large release cage in the backyard of my house. All the neighbors know I release and feed the squirrels and most everyone loves the fact that I do.

I feel bad for you guys that have to put up with the ridged rules of an HOA. I know it can be very upsetting and exhausting.
    Babies in sail pack, wonder if they ever go boating with you 😁
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

If you argue or fight with them about it they may decide to do something much worse with some poison bait. That's just the way HOAs roll. The best thing is to go on the down low as soon as possible and pretend you are doing exactly what they asked you to do.

Do you have a window or door that is more secluded and that can't be seen as easily?

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Buddy (03-02-2021), island rehabber (03-03-2021)

That sucks to have rules/regulations and neighbors like that!

Yes, I'd definitely lay low as others mentioned, for further retaliations, poison baits, intentionally hurting squirrels etc.

I also think that feeding them in another safe area is a good alternative.

Best of luck!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

island rehabber (03-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Babies in sail pack, wonder if they ever go boating with you 😁
    Before we take the sailboat out I unzip the sail pack and search through the sail for squirrels. I would be horrified if we went to hoist the mainsail and pinkies flew out into the water! boohoo

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

island rehabber (03-03-2021)

Before we take the sailboat out I unzip the sail pack and search through the sail for squirrels. I would be horrified if we went to hoist the mainsail and pinkies flew out into the water! boohoo
    Oh lord no, not good.
    CC had a little boat he would go in my pool with me, he liked it, then again he liked being with me no mater where we were 🥰

Ok sorry I've been thread jacking
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Quote Originally Posted by whopoopwrasse View Post
    Well I guess I'll go against everyone's grain and say I would tell her 'politely' to stick her letter where the sun don't shine. As far as I know it isn't illegal to feed the squirrels where I live and whether they get nuts from my yard or any other yard... it's what they do.

I feed pecans, almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts, all in the shell along with peanut in the shell and shelled. Yup they bury them all over my yard but I've never noticed any ripped up plants so I guess my squirrels are more careful

I've been living here for 26 years and have always been careful not to get too friendly with my neighbors for fear of having history repeat itself. Before moving here, I had a neighbor that I got friendly with and she literally thought my house was her house! She would pop in everyday, plunk herself at my kitchen table and stay there practically the whole day. This was at 7:00am! And at the time I was too polite/gullible/softy to do anything about it so when I moved I vowed to keep things to a "hello, nice day huh?"
    I know someone who has raised and released squirrels and feeds both them as well as wilds. One of the neighbors resorted to putting out poison, killing a number of these squirrels. So i would suggest avoiding anything that might escalate the situation.

24. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to olorin19:

Buddy (03-03-2021), island rehabber (03-03-2021), TubeDriver (03-03-2021)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123