Thread: Lady & Viv

Hybrid View

Default Lady & Viv

Recently, I posted about a squirrel with front left leg missing found in neighbor's backyard. The neighbor is disabled, only gets around on crutches & cannot go into her backyard. This lovely little squirrel has been named Lady. Neighbor can throw food from backdoor or window. In good weather, no problem. Yesterday, went over there. Heavy rains had caused dirt in backyard to be too thick for Lady to negotiate. She falls face-first & has difficulty getting out. Result: can't get to food & neighbor can't get to her. Didn't know what to do, so put food on metal cookie tray. Placed it at tree base. Saw from house that Lady could get down. Ate all & was hungry. This however, was only temp. solution as tray startd to move around. Am worried about Lady managing in more rain & later snow. She is incapable of getting thru yard to food. All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Advice needed for squirrel with front leg missing

K—Hi! I’m glad that you posted here and I do hope you will get a lot of input there are so many individuals each with their own experiences.

I see that your neighbor is never able to go into the backyard—originally I thought that a squirrel feeder could be placed near Lady’s feeding area and suggested these wonderful feeders that I saw a few members had: (www.collectionsetc.comNut House Squirrel Feeder or Cabin Squirrel Feeder, both are under $20 each. The benefit is the birds can't get into them—but the neighbor would have to be able to at some point go into the backyard to refill, so this may not even be an option and would be too much work for you to do for her.

My second thought is that since you mentioned that you put down a cookie sheet filled with nuts at the base of the tree, makes me think the mud is right there—perhaps stones (from the lawn/garden) can be placed there at the base of the tree as not to sink into the soil, just a thought. Or is budget money allows, perhaps stones can be purchased and a path made from the backdoor to the feeding area?

My last thought is there was a post a while back and I wonder if it could be adapted to help your neighbor? The Squirrel Board > Off Topic (or Feeling Nutty) > Off Topic Posts > Squirrel Feeder Project, take a look and let me know your thoughts. I hope you’re handy!!!!! The instructions are wonderful along with photos of each step.

I do hope others chime in with their wonderful expertise, especially to help the little squirrel named Lady who is missing her left front leg!

My only concern about Lady is that if she is having trouble in the rain and is falling down—perhaps a rehabber or another member could comment on their experience with that situation.
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

This is all to help a three-legged squirrel named Lady who collapsed in the mud during the recent heavy rains and the woman who feeds her is also handicapped and cannot make it to the backyard to feed Lady.

Is a squirrel feeder something one person can put up themselves?
    Is a ladder needed?
    What tools are needed?
    How high off the ground should it placed?
    How far away from the tree that they live (sleep) in should it be place?
    Are there any other considerations for installing a squirrel feeder?.

I have no knowledge of installing or using a squirrel feeder personally

Any and all suggestions are most valued and welcomed!
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

If the rain and mud made her pretty immobile, I am concerned what the snow would do? This is a tough call...gees do you try to trap her and give her a forever home, she may not even want that nor like that...or do your best to supplement her diet through the winter.
    Can another person get into this neighbors yard to put daily food down for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    If the rain and mud made her pretty immobile, I am concerned what the snow would do? This is a tough call...gees do you try to trap her and give her a forever home, she may not even want that nor like that...or do your best to supplement her diet through the winter.
    Can another person get into this neighbors yard to put daily food down for her?
    Nancy, how would be the best way to put the food down for her, the woman is disabled and can't make it to the backyard on a good day, not to mention the bad ones (rain,snow)? Should a Squirrel feeder be installed? Or something else? I really don't have any ideas to offer this situation. Any experience you could provide would be most appreciated. Thank you!!!!
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Quote Originally Posted by Pointy Tale
    Nancy, how would be the best way to put the food down for her, the woman is disabled and can't make it to the backyard on a good day, not to mention the bad ones (rain,snow)? Should a Squirrel feeder be installed? Or something else? I really don't have any ideas to offer this situation. Any experience you could provide would be most appreciated. Thank you!!!!
    I saw that the woman was disabled that's why I suggested that perhaps someone else could come into her yard to do it for her? I don't know how far she would have to go etc. but in the winter even with a feeder, she will have to replenish...maybe even daily...
    I think when feeding squirrels, it is a daily thing because the birds and other squirrels are going to get the food.....I just have to put my thinking cap on...other than some neighbor coming to put the food down for the little three legged squirrel...I don't know, but will sleep on it.....